Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Everyday, non-loss related rants - enter at own risk :)

widower2

• Moderators
widower2

tbh I don't feel I want to be or not to be called as I'm not sure what it would be like. But if I'm called, I won't try to get out of it. 

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

It's cloudy, rainy, and windy here today.  I think it's making me feel extra depressed and tired. 😌 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
3 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

It's cloudy, rainy, and windy here today.  I think it's making me feel extra depressed and tired.

I've tried leaving more lights on in the house on days like that. As I get older my mind reacts in a more positive way with more lights. But that's me...................

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
4 minutes ago, RichS said:

I went to see my back surgeon again; this time with the intention of having it done possibly by June. As I was driving to his office, two emotions got my attention:

1) I felt alone (but not lonely) in having to make this arrangement by myself without talking it over with Chris.

2) I felt abandoned (but not angry) for the same reason for the same reason as #1.

These emotions weren't because of dependency. They were having to go through important decisions like this alone.; which at least in my mind made me feel as if this is yet another emotion that I felt as a result of my grief. Sometimes you keep so busy with things like this that you don't think about it. Today wasn't one of those days.

That is understandable.  I've had moments like that too when it comes to having to make decisions on things that we used to decide on together.  *big hugs* 💝

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
Sparky1
4 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

It's cloudy, rainy, and windy here today.  I think it's making me feel extra depressed and tired. 😌 

Exact same lousy weather here too today. Couldn't even go for a walk. Yesterday was summer weather and now we're back to winter. 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Woke up to text and voicemail on my phone from my credit union, telling me I may have fraudulent charges, please confirm or deny.  Well I called, and there were 6 charges that were questionable.  I denied them all which means my debit card is now blocked and I have to wait for a new card.  Went to the credit union with the hope that they could issue a new card on the spot.  No such luck, have to wait 7-10 days for mail to deliver the new card.  Not too big a hassle as I have ample cash on hand, but pending on-line purchases like the cats’ food is affected.  

I am pretty sure I know when and where the card was compromised.  I usually buy some baked goods at a vendor kiosk outside the Navy base exchange, with no issues at all in the past.  This time the method of reading my card was different.  I’ll continue to buy stuff from this vendor in the future as it is a small veteran-owned business, but use cash from now on.  Such a PITA.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I've had USB visa forever, they offered me 0% for six months and I asked if the APR would be the same afterwards.  Well they now say it's not 0% it's 8.99%.  I told them that is NOT what I was told (through the phone), 8.99 does not sound like zero and I wrote everything down as she was speaking.  The supervisors lied and said they listened to her conversation with me and backed up their story.  I told them they're liars and they can keep their card, I'm done with them.  Can't be totally done as my mortgage is through them, but no more visa, don't need them.  By the way, nowhere on their site do they list the APR, which is why I'd called them in the first place.  :angry:

• Confused 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

Wow, that's terrible...and they also give almost literally zero percent interest on a savings account! In this day and age where you can get 4-5%+, ridiculous. Wells Fargo is the same way and I'm moving my savings to another bank.

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

Somewhat non-grief related, but may a tad bit grief related.  Hope it's o.k. to post here.  Today, I'm feeling a lot of anxiety again.  Woke up several times during the night with worrying thoughts.  Also, need to get a death certificate with information on the cause of death.  Just filling in the application makes me anxious.  Reminds me of the day I got the phone call again, and talking to the hospice care doctor, her telling me the likely cause of death, etc. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
38 minutes ago, KayC said:

By the way, nowhere on their site do they list the APR, which is why I'd called them in the first place.  

I thought by law they are required to list the APR (interest rate) on your billing statement. Don't know what the laws in Oregon allow or not allow credit companies to do, but you might want to bring this to the attention of the state Consumer Affairs Office.

• Like 4

• Members
20 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Wow, that's terrible...and they also give almost literally zero percent interest on a savings account! In this day and age where you can get 4-5%+, ridiculous.

Here in North Carolina, Truist wants you to call them up if you notice the interest on your Money Market Account, falls significantly. I thought Money Market Accounts had  variable interest rates. So if their rates fall to near rock bottom, you have to call them up to be bumped up to the "market rate?" That's a nice way for them to fatten up their bottom line at the expense of uninformed customers.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
14 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

Also, need to get a death certificate with information on the cause of death.  Just filling in the application makes me anxious.

I received several copies of Veronica’s death certificate through funeral home that took care of her final steps.  Ended up getting 6 copies as most everyone I dealt with, such as CA DMV and her schools retirement, required originals.  Funeral director was very helpful in that regard.  Is that an option for you?

• Like 4

• Moderators
widower2

Got a call from a scammer today. Really I had something else on my mind or I wouldn't have even answered the phone - IMO one should never answer a call if the caller isn't recognized. There's a good chance it's a scammer. In fact, my brokerage firm posted these guidelines recently and they're worth listing here IMO: 

• If you get an unrequested call, email, or text asking for any personal or financial info, esp passwords/PINs/security codes, stop. Never respond to such requests; hang up and call whatever institution they claim to be and see if anything is going on with your account. Never trust calls from individuals claiming to represent technical support, the IRS, your financial institutions, etc.
  • Be especially mistrusting of calls or emails threatening legal action or account closures or other "dramatic" claims.
  • Enroll in additional security features like multi-factor authentication and secure your mobile phone and email accounts.
  • Take care with information shared on social media.
  • Don't send money to people you don't know, and investigate companies before doing business based on a social media ad or post.
  • Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
13 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

I received several copies of Veronica’s death certificate through funeral home that took care of her final steps.  Ended up getting 6 copies as most everyone I dealt with, such as CA DMV and her schools retirement, required originals.  Funeral director was very helpful in that regard.  Is that an option for you?

I have death certificates ("proof of death") from the cremation center, but for this particular instance, they require an official death certificate with cause of death info, or the more appropriate term, "certified copy of death registration with cause of death information". 

1 hour ago, widower2 said:

Got a call from a scammer today.

Ugh!  I can't stand those calls!  Sometimes they will even leave a message.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
34 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

Ugh!  I can't stand those calls!  Sometimes they will even leave a message.

An answering machine saves us a lot of time from listening to those snake oil sales folks..................................

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

Phones seem to be getting smarter about it thought. I often get an incoming call and it's already flagged as a spammer.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
9 hours ago, RichS said:

An answering machine saves us a lot of time from listening to those snake oil sales folks..................................

We still have a land-line phone and about 5 years ago Veronica’s therapist recommended an AT&T phone that allows up to 50 numbers in the “allowed” call directory.  Those calls ring through with no problem and we always know who it is via caller ID.  Any other not-allowed calls require a human operator to press # to get through, so that eliminates robo-calls and scammers pretty well.  Phone rings twice and then blocks the call.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

We still have a land-line phone and about 5 years ago Veronica’s therapist recommended an AT&T phone that allows up to 50 numbers in the “allowed” call directory.  Those calls ring through with no problem and we always know who it is via caller ID.  Any other not-allowed calls require a human operator to press # to get through, so that eliminates robo-calls and scammers pretty well.  Phone rings twice and then blocks the call.  

Sounds better than mine but mine says Spam Risk if it's a number that does a lot of calling so I don't answer.  Sometimes it's a doctor's office and they'll leave a message so I like to pick up if I hear it as they are often hard to get through to.  My ans. machine is in my bedroom though so I don't always get it on time.  Often it's just a number I don't have programmed in though so sometimes will run it on the laptop to see but if they go into tracing them, nope!

• Like 3

• Members

Another trick these telemarketers try to pull is they'll initially call you from one number and if that fails will call you back again for a second or third time with different phone numbers.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Spoofing is one of my pet peeves because it shows up differently than who it really is.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Me neither but it bites me sometimes.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thanks, Gail,  BS was 98 this morning, should still be lower but I ate plenty yesterday at my OMAD.

Guy showed up to mow my lawn which meant I got to bed an hour late.  Have to do cleaning out of carport next to electrical room today.  Disappointed the "container" they brought for debris is small and curved, I thought it'd be more rectangular, some of the pipes had to be put into it diagonally and the lid sticks up in one corner about an inch, hope they'll take it that way.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I just got my grocery delivery.  Last time, I got someone else's order.  This time, they forgot to give me my organic carrots, even though they charged me for it.  So now I have to call them to get a refund or get it re-delivered.  No big deal, but still annoying.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Never had this problem last time my card was compromised and had to update all my accounts.  GRRR!

Windows 11?  Nothing surprises me...

• Like 4