Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Everyday, non-loss related rants - enter at own risk :)

widower2

• Moderators
widower2

Sort of a counter to the "what positives can you list today" thread. If you want to vent about something outside of your loss in your life (like a rude driver on the road or a neighbor who drives you nuts in some way), this is the place for you. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

From yesterday:

Took Kodie on our walk and he got attacked by a neighbor's visitor's dog that was running loose.  I was so mad I can't tell you!  He was biting Kodie's neck, totally took us by surprise, I kicked him and not nearly hard enough!  The owner hollered,  "Is he okay?"  How the hell do I know yet!  I was spitting mad!

Turned out okay but I am still angry.  How dare people be so careless and inconsiderate!  The guy should have contained his dog and then come to see...and he should not let him run loose again. :angry2:

I went around and around with animal control last year, so did others, they did NOTHING about a dog owner with 3 vicious dogs she'd turn loose!  They killed a dog, attacked a child, still these idiots did NOTHING!  WTH are our licensing fees paying for!  Sure isn't for service!  I know it does no good to call them, been there time and again.  Will carry Halti today.  Will have it in my hand, not my pocket as I get near those places.

Got an email my pw is on the dark web, spent hour dealing with it, not done yet.  My eyes hurt from straining them.  So not fun.  Can't get into Chrome passwords because they want a "windows pin" and I don't know it nor where I can reset it.  I've looked for hours, up half the night.  I'm at a standstill, don't know where else to look, I've exhausted myself. Say 4 digits.  No clue, tried everything I can think of.  Years ago they didn't have this pin, you could go in and look up any of your pws.  

My positive will be if and when this is done, but I don't see that happening. 

I am thankful Kodie wasn't hurt.  Years ago he was friends with Rocky, a neighbor dog, they'd chase along the fence (long fence!) and then I'd give Rocky a treat.  A couple of years ago they also got Ian.  Ian is easily spooked, but Rocky changed then, got nasty to Kodie.  Been trying to acclimate them but it's gotten worse.  Yesterday Ian tried to bite Kodie through the holes on the gate, came very close to getting his nose.  I told the owner I am done, so done.  Not jeopardizing him.  They need to socialize their dogs but aren't.  At least Jazzy and him played well last night.  Iris just went inside and locked her door.  

• Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

(My orig response to the above):
Man you have some real winners in your neighborhood...maybe you should carry a pepper spray when you go on walks to spray the dog (and/or owner!). I would've started tossing out words like "sue" and "lawyer."

IMO all states should have strict laws that if an incident like this goes to court and is proven, the owner loses all rights to ever own a dog (or at least for a period of time, like 5 yrs...wait make it 10). His dog would probably still be recovering if that'd been my dog he attacked. Attacking a JR Terrier is NOT a wise move, even for a bigger dog.

(Kay's response to that):
Is that what you have?  Mine is a Klee Kai (miniature Husky), weighs 22.8 lbs, this dog has the sweetest nature and would never harm a flea.  Why/how he's been attacked so many time...I do fault the owner.  I couldn't even talk to the owner I was so mad!  I posted a warning on FB.  It's someone's kid and their dog, not the property owner's dog.  I wasn't expecting him to come out of nowhere and go for Kodie's throat!  Idiot owner, like always.  You can't tell me this is his first time and oh surprise!

(And one more, my next response):
argh! We need a ticked off smiley face option. 

As for  the Samoyed's owner, it's simple: he's an idiot. Maybe start walking the dog with a small spray bottle of vinegar (dogs really hate vinegar)? I had an idiot neighbor like that; he would "go for a walk" and the dog unleashed despite state, county, and neighborhood leash laws. It was a friendly dog actually...but my dog was not. A couple of times I was walking him and this dip#### and his loose dog approached (often the dog was at least 50' away from the owner)...no surprise, my dog was ready to attack this much bigger dog. I yelled at the owner, but again: idiot. The light just doesn't come on for these people. It's a strong case for capital punishment IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
5 hours ago, KayC said:

Took Kodie on our walk and he got attacked by a neighbor's visitor's dog that was running loose.  I was so mad I can't tell you!  He was biting Kodie's neck, totally took us by surprise

🥺

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer

Got a summons application for jury duty. I'm a sinus sniffling coughing COPD mess. I'll be an annoying distraction in a court room. I'm going to see if I can get my doctor to get me out of it. I only have a couple weeks to try. I don't need this stress in my life. If I was just 1 year older I could request out without needing my doctor. If I don't get it done I'll just show up and let them decide how long they want to put up with my sniffling and phlegm clearing. And they make doing such a request very difficult. Can anyone tell I'm a bit wired up about this? 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

I get it in your situation, but in general I mostly don't get why people have a thing against jury duty. For me it couldn't be worse than the tedium of my job and could be interesting.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I came close to doing it but they never did use me.  We have a long ways to travel and the mileage does not compensate but back then we could afford it. 

• Like 3

• Members
WithoutHer
4 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I get it in your situation, but in general I mostly don't get why people have a thing against jury duty. For me it couldn't be worse than the tedium of my job and could be interesting.

That's just it. My situation. I don't have anything against jury duty in fact Vickie went the year after she got her Maryland driver's license. I'm convinced that's what pulled the trigger on me getting called. I just renewed in February. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
2 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

Got a summons application for jury duty. I'm a sinus sniffling coughing COPD mess. I'll be an annoying distraction in a court room. I'm going to see if I can get my doctor to get me out of it. I only have a couple weeks to try. I don't need this stress in my life. If I was just 1 year older I could request out without needing my doctor. If I don't get it done I'll just show up and let them decide how long they want to put up with my sniffling and phlegm clearing. And they make doing such a request very difficult. Can anyone tell I'm a bit wired up about this? 

Just go and answer their questions in such a way that make you sound extremely bias. 😛

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

I have to admit I feel a little insulted that I've never been called.  :angry2:

• Haha 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer

@KayC Thanks for the hug I'll take it and need it. My emotions nerves and reactions have actually served me well in all my years working in quality in so many communication and military equipment situations. But when dealing with situations forced on me unforseen that come with fines and a noose if you don't cooperate? The stress feels almost as overwhelming as grief but in a different way. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer
6 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

Just go and answer their questions in such a way that make you sound extremely bias. 😛

Yeah I know about that however that questioning is actually stage 2 after you arrive. I figure if nothing changes before I go once they here me sniffling, blowing my nose and the unpredictable phlegm clearing cough they will hopefully just tell my I don't need to be there. 

• Like 4

• Members
WithoutHer
10 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I never was either before this. I really think they create their selection pools from state drivers license issues and voter registrations, which occurs at the MVA here. That's an explanation I found of some methods on the court website. Maybe they have certain depth by date range they pick through and if we don't get selected during those times our names don't come up again until a license renewal or perhaps a voter affiliation changes. We unknowingly have thrown ourselves back in the possible selection pool.

My nerves and stress are just negatively affecting me because it's so unexpected. I can't help my physiological and emotional make up. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
widower2

Sorry to hear. Yeah the last thing you need is something unexpected to add to stress levels. :(   

• Like 4

• Members
foreverhis
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

Very tempting indeed, but I've heard that judges do not take kindly to that because it's seen as disrespectfully shirking your civic duty.  I never got to the questioning part though, so I can't say for sure.  I had to go in more than once and spend a day in the jury pool room waiting to see if my number would be called.  It never was.

1 hour ago, WithoutHer said:

Yeah I know about that however that questioning is actually stage 2 after you arrive. I figure if nothing changes before I go once they here me sniffling, blowing my nose and the unpredictable phlegm clearing cough they will hopefully just tell my I don't need to be there. 

You should be able to get a permanent exemption with a doctor's note listing your medical condition and why being in a courtroom all day would be detrimental to your health.  But I suspect you're right that you will be dismissed early in the process due to being "a distraction" in the courtroom.

• Like 4

• Moderators
widower2
36 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Very tempting indeed, but I've heard that judges do not take kindly to that because it's seen as disrespectfully shirking your civic duty.  I never got to the questioning part though, so I can't say for sure.  I had to go in more than once and spend a day in the jury pool room waiting to see if my number would be called.  It never was.

So you just sat there all day for nothing? ah govt efficiency... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Members
foreverhis
2 hours ago, widower2 said:

So you just sat there all day for nothing? ah govt efficiency... 

Pretty much. Both times the two juries needed were selected before my number was drawn. But it was my civic duty, so I tried not to be too annoyed.

• Like 4

• Members
WithoutHer
45 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Pretty much. Both times the two juries needed were selected before my number was drawn. But it was my civic duty, so I tried not to be too annoyed.

That sounds like Vickies experience when she was summons. She was never called. What I don't get is at least around here you are supposed to be available for the week of service. Required to call each night about the following day on whether to report or not. But after her 1st day showing, a Monday, she was told she didn't need to check in for the rest of the week and was finished. 

I was curious about those calls so I called the number to hear what happens. All I can say is whoever is on deck for Monday doesn't have to show up. No cases is my guess. 

• Like 3

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

On the jury summons, my younger son pointed something out, at least here in Sandy Eggo.  The summons comes in the mail but there is no proof of delivery.  The courts have no way of knowing, much less, proving a summons was actually delivered and received by the addressee.  It’s very possible you could just ignore the summons.  If you are contacted about it later, say you never received it.  I myself have not been called in a while but the last couple of times I went I never made it past the first round of screening questions.  

• Like 2

• Members
WithoutHer
1 hour ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

On the jury summons, my younger son pointed something out, at least here in Sandy Eggo.  The summons comes in the mail but there is no proof of delivery.  The courts have no way of knowing, much less, proving a summons was actually delivered and received by the addressee.  It’s very possible you could just ignore the summons.  If you are contacted about it later, say you never received it.  I myself have not been called in a while but the last couple of times I went I never made it past the first round of screening questions.  

Yeah that's a possibility but I hadn't checked the mail for 5 days and you're only given 10 days to respond around here. And the penalties are hefty here for not cooperating. Besides I'm not the type who could sell a presentation of not receiving it. My face gives me away with the smallest of fibs lol. I'm hoping I'll get the medical release but I'm dependent on my neighbor to print the documents I modified from another county because mine doesn't have any to offer. My printer is obsolete now. Then the hope of getting my doctor's cooperation in a reasonable time. Then the task of getting it to the court associated with my application. That's the part they make so difficult. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
16 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

Then be sure not to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze!  Be a vulgar as possible! 

• Like 2

• Members
WithoutHer
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

Then be sure not to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze!  Be a vulgar as possible! 

Oh believe me I won't have to attempt putting on a show. I have been sniffling and coughing to clear my throat for so many years that it's just become who I am. But for that reason I don't go out much, no restaurants, movies etc. A short store run, in and out, is the extent of my travels. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

The information a brokerage is insisting on just to set up an inheritance IRA (that I'm just going to transfer to my main brokerage anyway) is ridiculous. All they really require is my name and perhaps SSN and address, but no, they want my relationship status, net worth, occupation, name of my company, how much I make, on and on it goes.

So I'm going with something like this:

Relationship status: widower (I would've said "boy toy" but there's no write-in option)
Net Worth: $100M
Company Name: Goats R Us 
Salary: $100/week + all the goat's milk I want

• Haha 4

• Moderators
11 hours ago, widower2 said:

So I'm going with something like this:

Relationship status: widower (I would've said "boy toy" but there's no write-in option)
Net Worth: $100M
Company Name: Goats R Us 
Salary: $100/week + all the goat's milk I want

I love your sense of humor!!:D

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

I was delivered somebody else's groceries. 😑

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
widower2

Hesitate to get into this at all, but we're this close to a major blowout in my "family" as my brother has told me about a ridiculous amount of "fees" regarding my parent's estate (he's the executor) and I've asked him twice for a breakout and twice he's tap danced around it. I've asked a third and last time and if I don't get it, I'm going to the lawyer, and if he (as I expect) plays games too, I'll have to hire my own lawyer on this. To say I hate this idea is the understatement of a lifetime for many reasons, not the least of which is I went through similar BS with my beloved's POS family and the idea of going through something like this again has me flashing back to a time in my life that's taken many years to bury. My stomach is in knots. Plus, while my family has always been seriously screwed up, one thing I never questioned was anyone's integrity...until now. Between that and having to try and fight this long distance and the lawyer fees....I just don't see this ending well. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 4

• Members
Boggled

I have a THEORY ... probate lawyers can turn their client the executor into a petty tyrant ... "why not? you have the power!" (would that be hard to do, really?)  and the client remembers such as "he hit me with a hammer on my toe back when I was 4!"  ... anyhoo WHO makes extra $$$ IF their client acts "unfriendly" towards their fellow heirs?  who might even sort of suggest or "influence" it?  and then there's the 2nd lawyer ... WHO gets hired if one of the other heirs gets mad?   WHO's doing this for $$$$?   and WHO doesn't care if a family gets ripped apart?  

or maybe I just have a suspicious mind ... but ... hunh.  Seems like it happens in the nicest families, not the way the deceased THOUGHT it would go ... hunh.

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

I'm not about to blame someone for someone else's BS. But at the moment I'm not sure what's what on this, so reserving judgment. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

amen to that. I lost power for a few hours awhile back but overall we're really overdue for a longer one.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Don't be jinxing me on power outages! :D  We've lost it so many times this year, not when you'd think either!  Mostly transformers blew, but sometimes lines down from downed trees, sometimes Bonneville going down (whole town).  Ugh, you never know for how long!  Here we have no water when the power is out.  Yay, no toilets.

When my sister's estate was being settled, the lawyers and CPAs ate most of it that was left to the kids, they each got $21k, that's it (nine of them).

• Like 1

• Members
22 hours ago, KayC said:

Right now it hurts to put weight on it, feels like a pulled tendon and judging from what I was doing, that's what is likely. 

Is a trip to the doctor worth it, or have you had these pains before?

• Like 4

• Moderators

Iris says its plantar fascitis, it's at the bottom of my foot, radiates back.  My doctor would just send me to urgent care for an x-ray, no thank you, no broken bones, not doing that (put me through that last August, this time it's a different area but the same, so will give it a month or so.  Thankful it's not during heavy snows.  Urgent care is 2 1/2 hour round trip plus all the waiting, not up to that.

• Like 4

• Members

I've had plantar fascitis. If it is that, yeah, it will take a month or longer to heal.

• Like 3

• Moderators

That's about what I figured.  

• Like 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
8 hours ago, KayC said:

Iris says its plantar fascitis, it's at the bottom of my foot, radiates back.  My doctor would just send me to urgent care for an x-ray, no thank you, no broken bones, not doing that (put me through that last August, this time it's a different area but the same, so will give it a month or so.  Thankful it's not during heavy snows.  Urgent care is 2 1/2 hour round trip plus all the waiting, not up to that.

Are there any home remedies that you can try?  Like stretching, icing, etc.  See here:https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/plantar-fasciitis 

And here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324353#marble-pickups 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Yes, moving my toes, elevating and wearing compression sock.

• Like 2

• Members
WithoutHer

I'm at a loss and need an explanation about this site and pictures. Why is it there's no option to select a file directly from your device and upload it? The site request a url meaning the file must be online somewhere. I don't use any online locations for storage. What locations are people uploading their pictures from?

• Like 1

• Moderators
widower2

I just drag and drop; I'm never on this with my phone so can't speak to that! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

You're asking someone who is practically phone illiterate!  Until this year my mobile phone didn't work at home, and it didn't even come with a manual!  Some of us are old school enough to remember and like them.

• Like 1

• Members
WithoutHer

@widower2 and @KayC I guess the big question is why is the site working this way only when accesed by a mobile browser. It makes no sense to me. I have been going to 2 different sites that Vickie used before her passing and neither of them work any different from a phone or laptop/PC.

My laptop is obsolete but I have a laptop sitting next to me with windows 11 that I bought for Vickie for Christmas 2 months before she passed. I powered it up once since then the middle of last summer and let it update. I created a separate login for myself not disturbing the state of her account. But I just can't bring myself to use it. It hurts to much.

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

Sorry! I'll touch base with the admins and see if anything can be tweaked to allow attachments from a phone. Re the PC, can't you use the old laptop? Or you could get another...computers are pretty cheap these days. You might even find a used one really cheap on Craigs list or some such.

• Like 2

• Members
WithoutHer
54 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Sorry! I'll touch base with the admins and see if anything can be tweaked to allow attachments from a phone. Re the PC, can't you use the old laptop? Or you could get another...computers are pretty cheap these days. You might even find a used one really cheap on Craigs list or some such.

You know I don't mean to be crass but I'm going to say it anyway. The old laptop is a no go and It's not a damn money issue and my brain knows it makes no sense to buy another computer with this perfectly good large screen laptop sitting here. It's just a painful emotional issue and simply getting another computer won't solve it. I have been using my phone for everything thing since Vickie passed. I never did that before. And the way my mind works I would just associate another computer with avoiding Vickie's. 

I'm dropping the subject now it's just all too frustrating for my anxiety ridden depressed self.

Okay I apologize for blowing off steam. I'm done.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

Certainly no need for apologies and you weren't crass. If anything, I'm sorry I didn't get it...I thought you were saying it was that particular laptop you couldn't bring yourself to use, and I get why. Anyway....I asked the admins about the attachment from a phone thing and will let you know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members
WithoutHer
2 hours ago, widower2 said:

Certainly no need for apologies and you weren't crass. If anything, I'm sorry I didn't get it...I thought you were saying it was that particular laptop you couldn't bring yourself to use, and I get why. Anyway....I asked the admins about the attachment from a phone thing and will let you know. 

Just an interesting point on this issue. In my account profile I just pressed the photo button and it offered the expected upload photo with the select single file button. All I had to do was adjust the size of photo file to fit and my profile pic uploaded.

Okay NOW I'm done with this rabbit hole.

• Like 4

• Moderators
9 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

You know I don't mean to be crass but I'm going to say it anyway. The old laptop is a no go and It's not a damn money issue and my brain knows it makes no sense to buy another computer with this perfectly good large screen laptop sitting here. It's just a painful emotional issue and simply getting another computer won't solve it. I have been using my phone for everything thing since Vickie passed. I never did that before. And the way my mind works I would just associate another computer with avoiding Vickie's.

My friend Iris just sent her husband's computers to the dump...too painful to go through.   You are not alone in your feelings.

• Like 3

• Members
Gail 8588
On 3/31/2024 at 9:07 PM, widower2 said:

I also have never been called for jury duty. Not once.  I have always wanted to be called.  When I turn 70 this year, I will be officially removed from the potential juror list. 

• Like 3