Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The private grief world

DWS

• Members
Cath61

I can totally relate. I wish I'd been more supportive of my husband's interests. He supported me always. I appreciated him but wish I told him more, he told me every day. I miss everything about him/us. I feel so cheated for the retirement plans we worked so hard for and didn't get to fulfill. He was 10 years older than me, so I couldn't retire yet and he worked longer for 'our future" and only got 1.5 years, which he completely enjoyed, even though he was in constant pain.  Sorry for the depressing post, it's just a bad day.

• Hugs 3

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• RichS

• DWS

• WithoutHer

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
27 minutes ago, Cath61 said:

Sorry for the depressing post, it's just a bad day.

No apologies are needed at all. We all come here to express and release the pain that remains in our hearts...especially when we're having a bad day. The heaviness of feeling cheated is something that I continually deal with as well. It's a very challenging part of loss to process. 

• Hugs 3

• Members
1 hour ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Sunday afternoons, from 3 to 4 pm, I can be found by Veronica’s final resting place at Miramar National Cemetery.  This afternoon, I ran into another griever, a retired Navy man, visiting his wife two rows up from my wife.  We speak often when he is there at the same time I am, as he is leaving to go home.  He gets there earlier  than I do.  He said something interesting as was getting ready to leave.  He said it is strange, and a bit sad, that the highlight of our week has come down to visiting our loved ones at their final resting place.  I thought for a second and darn it if it isn’t the truth.  The only thing I actually plan on the weekend is sitting with Veronica at Miramar.  I always buy fresh flowers on Saturday and place them in water for Sunday.  Oh, I have my Red Cross scheduled in the week, but it has nothing to do with my wife.  The retired Navy man and I said our good byes for the afternoon, and I am sure I will see him again next Sunday.  But he left me thinking about his comments.  

Hi Rey, I think its a very beautiful thing that the highlight of your week and your navy friend, is of visiting your Wife's final resting place. You share two common bonds in that you both served for your country and more importantly, you loved your Wives with all of your hearts.

My Wife wanted her ashes spread in the sea, as she loved the coast and sea so much. I am going to wait though, until our Son is a little bit older, and he will then remember it more, than at the moment. 

After we have done it, everytime we visit the coast (only short distance from where we live), we will think of her even more than each day....

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

He said it is strange, and a bit sad, that the highlight of our week has come down to visiting our loved ones at their final resting place.

Perhaps sad but if it's your highlight, isn't that something to look forward to?  I know, it's mixed feelings...esp. when we think about how it used to be.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

He said it is strange, and a bit sad, that the highlight of our week has come down to visiting our loved ones at their final resting place.  I thought for a second and darn it if it isn’t the truth.  The only thing I actually plan on the weekend is sitting with Veronica at Miramar.  I always buy fresh flowers on Saturday and place them in water for Sunday.  Oh, I have my Red Cross scheduled in the week, but it has nothing to do with my wife.

Yes, I have similar feelings as well. Even though my part time scorekeeping job and my sports card business keep me somewhat busy, there's still a lot of free time to our grieving. Yesterday, Ross and I went out to eat with Chris's best friend and her husband. The last time we were all at this restaurant, Chris was alive and we were celebrating July birthdays. When we first arrived there, I looked up at the ceiling and told Chris, "remembering you today."

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I am so glad I spread George's ashes in our backyard, he always called this "our home in the clouds." I could think of no better place for him to be than where he loved and felt least anxiety.  It will be hard if I ever have to leave this place but fortunately I can view it from the place next door where they maybe camp once a year if that.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

ceejaybee:  WELCOME TO OUR BOARD! We are all sorry for both of your losses. Despite that, you seem to have a positive outlook on life. Please continue to post here. A lot of us (myself included) can benefit from your insights.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2
1 hour ago, ceejaybee said:

I am 5 days into my grief - not able to do much........mostly just reading your helpful posts.  The idea of the "private grief journey" rang true to me so I joined this thread.  Thank you for all your honesty.

This is actually the loss of my second partner.  I lost my beloved husband 23 years ago and found love a second time 6 years ago.  He passed away last Wednesday.  

I am experiencing lots of the same private experiences  for the second time and there's almost a PTSD element to it.  I'm profoundly sad yet I want to relate to all of you that there is, oddly, a comfort for me to know I went through this private grief journey once and survived it.  I loved both these men with all my heart (the only way to love) and inevitably, the grief that follows such a love is profound.  Still, I have been blessed.

Of course, you never 'get over it' as others hope you will.  Deep grief changes us profoundly, at what feels like the molecular level.  Yet slowly your new normal forms.  Your life is different (and in my case, smaller), but it is rewarding.

Yes, the journey is truly private but it is also unique to each one of us.   Thank you all for sharing your unique, private journey.  It's a godsend for me this evening.

I'm so very sorry. To deal with such a loss once is unbearable enough, but twice I can't imagine. Five days is so fresh, but your perspective is unique, having been there before. I hope this site can help; it's a great group of people. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

You undoubtedly learned a lot the first time so you recognize a lot this time around.  I'm sorry your journey takes you once again here...yet I know for myself I wouldn't undo one bit of my journey with my husband to spare the pain I've felt since losing him.  19 years for me Father's Day the 19th that year.  

We welcome you and are glad you reasonate with this thread.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Prayers for you as you go through this, Rey.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Thank you very much, KayC!

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AJ4 said:

I guess it was ok to let people think I was overwhelmed by religious feeling? 

Totally, no need to explain to anyone unless you wanted to.  Sounds like a beautiful trip!

• Like 2

• Members
40 minutes ago, WithoutHer said:

But I'm missing Vickie's company even more than a year ago and it's an unbearable state of mind to try to logically work through.

Absolutely!!..............and what sums it all up is the acceptance of the "new normal." I hate that phrase and I suspect others on this board do as well. In any case, we have no choice but to work through it, to move forward. For me personally, it hasn't been easy; and next month will be two years since she left us. Maybe I could have done a little more to help myself over the past two years and maybe I did everything I could have been expected to do. That's how confusing this topic can be to discuss.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 7/5/2024 at 9:33 PM, WithoutHer said:

I also never got to take her Ocean City Maryland which being a beach lover she also would have enjoyed.

What a coincidence. We just made a trip last weekend to "visit" my husband at the beach where we spread his ashes about 4 months ago. Somehow got on the topic of east coast beaches. I was trying to describe Ocean City MD to my 21 yo, which of course was the Ocean City I remember from 30 years ago....I grew up in DE. It struck me how time moves on without us sometimes. Couldn't find anything online about the aerial tram that used to go out over the pier. Guess it's gone, too.

• Like 4

• Members
WithoutHer
21 minutes ago, RichS said:

Absolutely!!..............and what sums it all up is the acceptance of the "new normal." I hate that phrase and I suspect others on this board do as well. In any case, we have no choice but to work through it, to move forward. For me personally, it hasn't been easy; and next month will be two years since she left us. Maybe I could have done a little more to help myself over the past two years and maybe I did everything I could have been expected to do. That's how confusing this topic can be to discuss.

Yes I myself dislike the term "new normal" and wrote about it last year. It may be semantics but to me it's a new existence and there's nothing normal about it.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer
22 minutes ago, 7779311 said:

What a coincidence. We just made a trip last weekend to "visit" my husband at the beach where we spread his ashes about 4 months ago. Somehow got on the topic of east coast beaches. I was trying to describe Ocean City MD to my 21 yo, which of course was the Ocean City I remember from 30 years ago....I grew up in DE. It struck me how time moves on without us sometimes. Couldn't find anything online about the aerial tram that used to go out over the pier. Guess it's gone, too.

I was last there 16 or 17 years ago and it had changed in many ways since my younger days. I would imagine it has changed even more. I mentioned in a post not long ago about how things have changed just around our local area where Vickie and once took our weekly adventure drives. Some have changed so much to be unrecognizable. I went to some of these just to get out of the house. But the changes and being without Vickie I have given up on getting out any longer. It just drives home my loneliness and related depression and anxiety.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer

I have recently learned some information that makes my world feel even smaller. Although I didn't maintain contact with them most of my fathers side of the family lives in Maine. I don't know what made me decide to do it but I did a search on his sister, my aunt, and learned she passed away this past November. She was 99. And I was shocked to read in her obituary that she was predeceased by her daughter, my cousin, Karen in 2012 from a chronic lung disease. She was 54. I then gave thought to my father's best friend who I knew moved to Colorado and found he had also passed in 2022.

This all weighs heavy on me along with losing Vickie. Even though I hadn't kept in touch these were all people who were a part of my life at one time and made my world feel all that much smaller.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

One day at a time, Gail.  I was a mess the first few years.

• Hugs 2

• Members
WithoutHer
1 hour ago, Sar123 said:

Year one you lost your person. Year two, you realize, you lost you

It feels so true. This month of year two is especially difficult because it's her birthday month. Yet the whole year has a deeper harsher feel. And yes I have lost myself as well. I expect these overwhelming emotions to stick with me for a long time to come.

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

Good way of putting it.  Described aptly.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Remember, everyone's journey is unique. I felt year one was really tough, I was shell shocked, I did not know how to do this!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Remember, everyone's journey is unique. I felt year one was really tough, I was shell shocked, I did not know how to do this!

None of us do as far as I can tell. I think expressing it is most important. And having a place like this to do that is for many of us, I think, our own self provided therapy. 

• Like 4

• Members
WithoutHer

3:37am and making no attempt to sleep. My body's tired and my eyes are doing that late night glazing over blur thing as I type. The TV is off, I've had the light off and on several times but sleep is avoiding me even though l will wake with dry mouth when I do I usually get in one and half to three hours between those events. IDK why. I've been a late nighter like windower since this started but this month is becoming one serious whirlwind.

• Like 3

• Moderators

My being an "early morning-er" seems to cross over you late nighters!

This morning my A/C venting fell off, wish I'd have checked it when I notice little sounds that were different, but it was nothing like the last time that was on the other end of the venting.  Had to get up, turn on the light, and fix it.  Then decided my house would be cooler if I opened all the windows and turned on the fans.  Going to be a hot one today!  Upper 90s...now they're predicting T-storms as well!

• Like 2