Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

So tired.....

HisMunchkin

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/26/2024 at 10:56 PM, widower2 said:

I don't think it, I know it. It's one of the most draining things imaginable on a wide variety of fronts. I'm sorry, I don't really have any great advice about how to deal with it offhand other than taking it a day at a time and trying to get as much rest as possible (also a strong cup of coffee in the morning doesn't hurt). 

I agree with you that taking it a day at a time and resting as much as possible is the best advice you can give to a grieving person.  
I survive day by day and don’t look too far ahead into the future cuz I fear of what will become of me. As far as resting, I’m lucky that I get 5-6 hours of sleep per night. 

• Like 2

• Members
JonathanFive

This has me, "wide awake," tonight.  So wide awake, and I have work in the morning...   arrg

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
53 minutes ago, Griefsucks810 said:

I was 51 when my husband died; he was 57.

I am/ was 48 when my husband passed.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, JonathanFive said:

This has me, "wide awake," tonight.  So wide awake, and I have work in the morning...   arrg

I typically go to bed about 2-3 AM and I also work in the morning (remotely though thank goodness). 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
JonathanFive

I'm also working remotely.   I'm also very grateful, lucky for that

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
14 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I typically go to bed about 2-3 AM and I also work in the morning (remotely though thank goodness). 

How are you able work all day long while you had a minimal amount of sleep the night before?  

I’ve been retired for the last 7 years and I know that I wouldn’t be able to work all day  long having a minimal amount of sleep.

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
33 minutes ago, 7779311 said:

48 is a young age to lose your spouse.

It’s sad that women and men are becoming younger widows/widowers in this day and age. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Anything over 5.5 can do damage, mine isn't that low, but close...I give it my best.  I ate 9 carbs total yesterday yet my fasting blood sugar this morning is 115. It's discouraging.  But I keep doing my best and that's all one can do.

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
14 hours ago, 7779311 said:

Hey, I'm only a year older than you.

14 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

How are you able work all day long while you had a minimal amount of sleep the night before?  

I’ve been retired for the last 7 years and I know that I wouldn’t be able to work all day  long having a minimal amount of sleep.

Me too.  I need my sleep!  Although I was able to stay up for over 24 hours during my university years, cramming for exams for finishing papers.  Oh to be that young again...

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 1/28/2024 at 11:29 PM, Griefsucks810 said:

Practice. :) Also working from home I can take a break here and there and lay down for a few to catch my breath.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I had a big upset night before last and only slept four hours, but I took a ME break yesterday and went to sleep at 6:30 pm, slept nine hours!  It felt wonderful and I woke up refreshed!  Nice to get now and then although the four hours the previous night was hellish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

I could not get any sleep last night.  Lots of anxiety!  Tornado in my mind.

For those of you who can't sleep, what goes through your mind?  What emotions, if any, accompany those thoughts?  Or is something else keeping you awake?

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
3 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

For those of you who can't sleep, what goes through your mind?  What emotions, if any, accompany those thoughts?  Or is something else keeping you awake?

When I can’t sleep, my mind races with thoughts as to why Im still awake and can’t stay asleep thru the night,  going thru with making lifestyle changes to improve my physical health and wondering when happiness and joy will come into my life.  I am anxious and frustrated when my mind is racing. The other thing that keeps me awake is that I wait for my daughter to come home for the night after being out cuz I can’t sleep right until I know she’s home in her bed in the next room.

• Like 4

• Members
JonathanFive
3 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

As I continue to trek through grief here, I arrg, "analyze it." Grief has a spacial component that I have yet to see be spoken about in all the literature.

It's weird because when I think about space, I can think of at least two, very famous mental conditions known to cause anxiety that are related to space - claustrophobia and agoraphobia. 

There's like a, "gigantic hole," now that our loved ones are gone?  At least that's how I feel.   So this huge gap of, "space," could be causing our anxiety.

Cause again today, while I was working, I felt this anxiety attack come on, and strangely enough, it felt like I was, "closed in."  For those few moments, when the anxiety was going on, I very clearly thought to myself, "I need space," but why would I need space, if I feel now that he's gone, I've got too much space?

But because with our lovers, we trek very deeply into each other space, my longing for space, was longing for him. But I used to have a space to go into, that was, "our space that we shared together," when we cuddled, when we kissed, when, "whatever," we had a shared space.  So, now I have lost space somehow, I am in a smaller space, I feel trapped in, it's making me claustrophobic, it's causing me anxiety...

Grief can be so deep, that it goes all the way through our lifetimes, and reaches way back to our inner child.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LMR said:

"Someone who can rebuild the world just by touching you"

I love that!  That's how it was for us.

• Like 3

• Members
JonathanFive
4 hours ago, LMR said:

"Someone who can rebuild the world just by touching you"

That was him.

That was him for me too.  That's exactly who he was, that is exactly who I lost.   Everything you said

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I've tried everything, in the middle of the night when I wake up, sometimes I just cannot get back to sleep.   That happened last night after 4 1/2 hours sleep...laid there for two hours, nada.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

Nothing on your mind?

My mind starts going when I try to go back to sleep, but not always, hence I lay there for a couple of hours trying some nights.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

So I tried telling myself, "I'm in bed, I can't do anything about anything right now." and tried to go to sleep.  But then the thoughts crept up on me again.  So then I tried to do the alphabet thing with animals.  Got stuck a bit at J, then at again at U (cheated with Urchin, even though it's actually Sea Urchin), then I got really stuck at X. 😛  So then I switched to fruit.  Got stuck at E (what fruit starts with E?), skipped it, then got stuck at I.  I don't remember what happened after that.  I think I may have fallen asleep. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 2/2/2024 at 1:48 PM, HisMunchkin said:

An actual tornado?  No, thank goodness.  It feels like it in my head, though.

I get that.  I can't sleep sometimes because I'm worried about not being able to get enough sleep to wake up on time tomorrow.  And thoughts of "planning" as well.  Last night, I stopped my thoughts and took notice of what, exactly, I was thinking about.  They were mostly planning, or thinking back on things that I had said and "correcting" things - maybe I should have said this instead?  Or thinking back on what someone else said and looking deeper into what else they might mean by what they said.  And then thoughts of what I need to get done and what I have forgotten to do.  I wonder what we can do to stop all this mind racing that are accompanied by anxiety and frustration? 

With regards to not being able to sleep until you know that your daughter is home, have you always felt this way or did you start to worry after your husband's passing?

Could part of that space be general insecurity now that your spouse is gone, causing you anxiety?  For me, I think that is part of that "hole".

Longing for "home"?  For me, it feels like "home" is where he was.  Since his passing, our home feels more like a house than a home, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for sharing!  I think I'm going to give that a try.  Sometimes I'd be woken up by feelings of anxiety, and then followed by thoughts.  Makes me wonder if I slept at all?  Or maybe my brain was still playing thoughts ping pong subconsciously, then woke me up.

I'm going to give that a try too.  Thank you for sharing!  Maybe naming animals or food in alphabetical order.  That's more up my alley.  

Nothing on your mind?

Hey HisMunchkin, I’ve been waiting for my daughter to come home since my husband was alive. 

• Like 2