Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my person

immortalgypsy

• Members
Griefsucks810
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

Thank you SO much for sharing your healing journey, especially how you did it, Gail!  It inspires a lot of hope for me that I, too, will eventually crawl out of my current state.  I hope you'll continue to find new interests and joys in life.  *Big Hugs* to you. 💝

Gail,  I admire your strength, courage and your determination to stay busy and active each day and you didn’t let your grief consume you.  Glad that you have enjoyment by volunteering.  How did you know what you wanted to volunteer for?  You have shown me that there is hope for me that I’ll get out of this rutt and find new interests and joys in life. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Next Saturday I'll  be planting trees.

Gail, I applaud what you do!  It's so important to get involved with something we care about.  Extending beyond ourselves.  Some of you are still working, but esp. when you're retired it's essential we do this.  Volunteer with a rescue, helping with kids, delivering groceries to elderly, giving rides, wherever your heart is, find something!

• Like 4

• Members
9 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

For more than 3 years when people who actually knew John would ask 'How are you doing?'  I would respond ' I just haven't  figured out how to live without him yet.'It was well into my 4th year before I was able to change my response to 'I'm  beginning to figure out how to live without him.' At 7 years, I am finally doing okay. 

I think I may be following your pattern; at least up to this point (17 months). I need more time to figure out where I'm headed with my life.

Lately I've been feeling tired and a little overwhelmed. As everyone here knows, grief combined with family responsibilities PLUS things in our lives that pop up (that need our attention right away) can drain us. It's forcing me to be a little more kinder to myself (resting a little more, allowing "alone time" for myself, putting off some chores that I'm too tired to handle at the moment, etc.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
18 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

This grief journey is a roller coaster filled with emotional and mental turmoil. All of my negative thoughts, emotions and  feelings, the sleepless nights I’m having, the junk food and microwave meals I’m eating, my high “bad” cholesterol level and the intensity of my depression all stems from my body and mind becoming sick from grief.  I’m not gonna allow my grief to kill my mindset and ruin my physical health any longer cuz I want to live a happy and healthy lifestyle and live to be 90-100 yo. 

This would be a good and somewhat easier step towards the change that you're wanting. When I was in my mid-30s (two and half decades ago, yikes!), I hit a wall of defeat and disappointment. It wasn't quite "mid-life" crisis but it was a very dark space I was in. I started reading many self-help books at the time and one that really helped me out of that terrible slump was the book "Fit For Life". Eating healthy started to finally make sense to me back then. 

Up to that point in my life, I relied on others to feed me. After the years growing up with my mom's cooking, I had spent most of my adult life with two different partners who were the cooks and, of course, fast food too. But in my depressed state, I was now alone and saw that it was up to me for self-care. So I not only taught myself how to cook but saw the reasons for choosing healthy foods...putting the right fuel into my body. Since that awakening, I have loved cooking and preparing my meals every day of the week because I view it as my valiant act of self-loving. Slicing up vegetables is not a chore when you see it as the ingredient to your choice of healthy living. Even in those darkest darkest hours after my partner Tom passed away, I stayed determined not to let the healthy eating slip because I knew how important it was for my well-being. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
19 hours ago, JonathanFive said:

I have this thought in my head lately, "not much in life really matters to me anymore, since I'd be doing it without him with me."  

Which, if I were to self analyze, based on my undergraduate psyche studies, I would say to myself, "obvious sign of depression related to grief."  That may lift eventually, and I may again assume an interest in doing things.

I know this has been the biggest hurdle for me...the loss of bright interest in everything and the feeling that nothing much matters now. Today marks 23 months since my Tom passed away and even though some of that life interest has slowly wandered back, it definitely is not at levels that it once was.

I've mentioned it a couple of times on here but there is a moment on an episode of the TV series Monk where his mother-in-law responds to his question on how she eventually carried on after his wife (her daughter) died...."after two and a half years, I decided to give the world another chance". That's a moment that I'm hoping for and waiting for. 

• Hugs 4

• Members
33 minutes ago, DWS said:

I know this has been the biggest hurdle for me...the loss of bright interest in everything and the feeling that nothing much matters now. Today marks 23 months since my Tom passed away and even though some of that life interest has slowly wandered back, it definitely is not at levels that it once was.

I'm along the same path as you after 17 months. The journey is not over yet, so I'll see where it takes me...............

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
JonathanFive
On 1/23/2024 at 9:38 AM, RichS said:

Shawn:  What I've discovered in this life and especially on this board: It's easier to write and express good ideas than it is to practice them every day............................

Yeah, lots of this is, "easier said then done."  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1