Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my person

immortalgypsy

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss, you must be in shock, it's very recent.  Hang in there and remember to breathe.  I remember holding my breath and of course sleep was impossible.  My kids helped a lot too they were also young adults...that was 18 1/2 years ago, he died on Father's Day, he had just turned 51 five days before.

My heart goes out to you, I think all of us can say that, have been there.

Grief Process

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs)))  Praying for you today.

• Like 4

• Members
immortalgypsy

How do you get eating back on track. I couldn’t eat anything for a week and now I’m nauseous all the time. Coupled with everything else is awful. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I had my daughter following me around the house with food and water! :D  First I lost 16 lbs, then I gained until I went on Keto years later.

22 hours ago, immortalgypsy said:

I can’t conceive there will ever be another happy moment in this existence. 

Not for a long while maybe, but it'll happen, esp. with a positive mindset and LOOKING for good in each day.  
An article like this helped me:
Smile Permission

It's not our grief that holds us to them, it's okay to have good moments.

• Like 3

• Members
51 minutes ago, immortalgypsy said:

How do you get eating back on track. I couldn’t eat anything for a week and now I’m nauseous all the time.

I couldn't eat anything that was in our cupboards for a couple of months, that was OUR food. I would go out and buy the cheapest food I could find, usually hot dogs. I had a rule that my meals should only cost a max $2 because I didn't feel I deserved anything better. I had a bag of food that the care home returned to me and that sat on the kitchen floor unpacked for weeks.

Having moved to UK and living with my sister she does the shopping and cooking and I eat what she gives me. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
10 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

For food, smoothies, or even drinks like Ensure, can help you get some nutrition

My 95 year old uncle has TWO Ensures every day. Forty years ago it was probably TWO beers a day. Oh how times change.................

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Members
JonathanFive
2 minutes ago, immortalgypsy said:

First day back at work and every cell of my body is screaming I don’t want to be here. I’ve been here for 48 minutes. How am I going to last 8 hours???

The first day back for me was very hard - you can do it.  Take it slow, lots of breaks, try to breathe long and slow

• Like 4

• Members
immortalgypsy

Thanks Jonathan. It was hard. There was no distraction, just hours of thinking how my life is forever changed, how I couldn’t text him silly things on my lunch break. But I have 1.5 hours to go. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Wishing you luck with it, I remember going back to work, so hard, no way to prepare.

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
19 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

For food, smoothies, or even drinks like Ensure, can help you get some nutrition.

I had no appetite for months, and mostly ate junk, cookies and such. The drinks at least gave me some nutrition. 

Try to maintain some basic personal hygiene, even on the days you struggle to get out of bed.  Your teeth will punish you if you neglect them too much.  A lesson learned the hard way by me.

I mainly eat lunch meat sandwiches, TV dinners and junk food.  I’ll eat a bagel with butter for breakfast and sometimes a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries. I stopped cooking meals all together last year cuz it’s too much for me and then the mess to clean up so I rather pop something in the microwave to eat.  I had 12 teeth extracted back in November 2023; now it’s a matter of getting the rest of them out. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
immortalgypsy

20 days since. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members
Gail 8588

I tried to work after John died. My employer was very patient and accommodating. But I never really could get back to being a productive employee.  After 15 months, I told my supervisor that I would take early retirement in 30 days. I am sure he was very relieved, as he didn't want to fire me, but it wasn't fair to my colleagues who were picking up my slack. 

Being retired was no blessing, especially when Covid hit.  

But I eventually made it back to life.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I hear you!  My job went under (Bush admin. cut military airplane parts, no notice) so I had to go to commuting, a nightmare.  Seven years later my boss laid me off, no notice, took him 13 1/2 months to pay me the three months pay he was behind in.  Went w/o pay living off savings for a few years and took early retirement (soc sec) when I ran out of $.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
immortalgypsy

I’m looking for other jobs but I was doing that before all this. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
immortalgypsy

Our heat which is gas keeps tripping a breaker. Not sure why. My husband was an electrician so it’s kind of ironic. And also the gutter came off the front of the house and with all this rain there’s water in our basement. It was in his music studio. I just sat down and held his guitar and cried. It’s so frustrating and why all these things happening on top of what’s already happened. I will say my brother has been really good about helping out. But he has his own family and my mom to take care of. It’s just overwhelming. Overwhelming. Overwhelming. 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 4

• Members
JonathanFive
21 minutes ago, RichS said:

if the roles were reversed, our partners would be struggling with the same decisions we had to make.

👍

• Like 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/7/2024 at 10:46 PM, Gail 8588 said:

For food, smoothies, or even drinks like Ensure, can help you get some nutrition.

I had no appetite for months, and mostly ate junk, cookies and such. The drinks at least gave me some nutrition. 

Try to maintain some basic personal hygiene, even on the days you struggle to get out of bed.  Your teeth will punish you if you neglect them too much.  A lesson learned the hard way by me.

I continue to eat microwave meals and junk food. I do eat plain oatmeal with blueberries and an everything bagel for breakfast, skip lunch, and I eat a microwave meal for dinner.  I have to change my unhealthy eating habits ASAP so my body does not become sick with health ailments from not eating healthy foods and vegetables. 

My teeth did finally punish me on Nov 7 2023 cuz I had to get 12 teeth extracted due to having a bad case of periodontal disease and cavities; I have to get the rest of my remaining teeth out before the end of this year.  I’m gonna be a toothless widow! 

• Hugs 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/18/2024 at 3:47 PM, HisMunchkin said:

Wow!  I'm with everyone else who said that they feel exhausted on your behalf just reading about what you had to go through.  I am so sorry for your losses, and for all that you had to deal with all by yourself.  I am relieved for you to hear that you retired early, that you are eating healthy, trying to laugh and be joyful, and trying to exercise and be creative again.  Those are all good signs, and I wish you all the strength, courage, and wisdom keep moving forward.  Rebuilding takes time.  My hope for you is that brick by brick, you'll eventually make a "home" again.  Big hugs to you.

Wow you’ve been through hell and back with everything you had to endure all by yourself!  It’s a good thing that you’re retired from your job, eating healthy, attempting to exercise and trying to laugh and be joyful. I admire your strength and courage to move forward with your life. 

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/9/2024 at 8:38 PM, Gail 8588 said:

Griefsucks810, 

It was 4 years after my husband's death that I felt I had to change. I couldn't go on living as I had been. I was losing my mind.  

I introduced structure to my life, wake up, make my bed, eat, volunteer to be somewhere, do something every day. I would sign up for "how to" classes at Home Depot, I tried to learn something new (play piano) because I wanted my brain to think there was something new in my future.  Lots of other little things. 

Slowly, I did begin to feel a change in my mindset.  It didn't happen quickly, but I do think it helped me to find my way back to life, after living as a zombie for 4 years. 

Good luck to you.  You deserve to have a life that includes happiness. 

Gail

Thank you for responding to my post.  I hold onto hope that happiness will come into my life. 

I definitely need structure in my life and to do something productive everyday.  I’ve been in survival mode for 4 years too long.  What are some of the things that you do everyday?  I need some ideas that have worked for you. 

• Hugs 2