Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Considering dating again...

widower2

• Moderators

Wow, I have never gone to a dating site but that would be a huge red flag for me, why do they need your date of birth, isn't it enough to give your age?!  And phone number, that should be for YOU to give out when you want to, not for them to require!

My son met his wife on Plenty of Fish, says all I need to know...

• Like 2

• Members
On 10/25/2023 at 8:54 AM, widower2 said:

I tend to feel people make their own luck. If someone is serious about wanting to get into a relationship, it's better to try and seek that out vs hoping you bump into the right person among the crowd (whether a crowd in general or among friends etc). Dating sites have their flaws, but IMO are generally still the best way to try and find someone as you can get information about them up front.

Widower2.

Yes, there are upsides.

• Like 1

• Members
5 hours ago, RichS said:

Alisond:  Welcome to our board! Here you'll find sympathetic people who understand your grieving. I lost my wife 15 months ago after being married for 42 years. I along with other folks on this board get what you're going through. 

As for dating, I have no desire to date either now or in the future; but that's me. You may not feel comfortable dating right now and that's fine. You'll know when the time is right for you. Others will give you their opinions; but your decision is what matters the most. 

Thank you for the welcome. I feel like I fit here.

• Like 4

• Members

Everyone is different and there are no "answers", just decisions and as long as you are treating yourself right it is the right decision for you.  For me, it's like 1/2 my life was one person and now it's a different person.  I remember who I was and the life I lived but it's not where I live today.   It's a strange existence that I think 'is' my new life, one that I am learning to accept and understand.  Comparing your life now to the past is inevitable, just be fare and honest with yourself and your partner is all you can do.  

• Like 4

• Members

I would take dating one small step at a time. I admire you for taking this stop forward; as I know myself: I would be comparing this person with my wife. Not fair to them. If the person you're dating knows of your situation, they should be understanding of how you're feeling emotionally at this stage of your life (just like all of us on this board). If that turns out to be true, then that would be a good step forward for both of you. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I wouldn't say I LIKE being alone, but April I hear you, yet seriously I'd rather be alone that put up with the ____ I went through in dating.  Perhaps it was too soon, April, I know it was for me even at four years out.  I said the same thing, the right person would have to drop in my lap (like he did George) but I'm not going out looking.  I'm 71 now, not likely to happen.

• Like 3

• Members

@KayC I understand completely.   It wasn't that bad but I should have stopped after a month but it lasted four months.   I knew he didn't want what I did.  But it is over.  I'm glad.  I realize that there are crazy people out there.  Luckily he wasn't a bad man.  He just liked being a bachelor.   So he will be.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, RichS said:

If I had passed away and Chris found some man who really made her happy, I would be happy for her.

Same.

• Like 1

• Members
On 12/4/2023 at 6:20 PM, RichS said:

I would be comparing this person with my wife. 

How can we not do it? 

We all had our soulmates with us for years, built our intense life together and all of us would give anything  to have them back!

Then by force of circumstances we try to loosen the desert in which we are confined ...and we bump in these very little little men che non valgono neanche un mignolo del mio amore! ( who aren't worth even a little finger of my love!)

How can i not compare them...before running away ??

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, SSC said:

Thing is, I’m not really looking.  My older (90 yr) is still making moves on me and I still gently let him down but he keeps at it.  I want to be kind and friendly with him but evidently he seems to think that means we should move in together.  I guess his fighter pilot/base commander ego makes him feel 30 years younger!  lol!  

:lol: Fighter pilots and commanders have egos? Who knew?? (Seriously wow a 90 yr old ex-fighter pilot is rare...) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Members
8 hours ago, William M said:

I think I'm probably done!

Phew, you scared me for a moment there!  It took me a minute to realize you meant done with dating, romance, etc. 

I am the same.  I recently told a somewhat younger friend who wishes she could find that "one great love" and who asked me if I'd ever consider dating again that I had my one great love, which is enough for me.  That's not to say that I am 100% sure I won't ever find a companion for my last years, but it's highly unlikely.  I've learned to be content with myself, at least most of the time.  Adding my Cosi girl has filled a void and given me a reason to smile every day.

I know for sure I would be comparing, which I think is only natural.  But I've also made sure to not put John on a pedestal as the greatest man who ever lived and who had no flaws.  He was without a doubt the greatest man who lived for me.  He and I both had/have plenty of imperfections, but we gave grace to each other for simply being human.  So that comparison would be based on reality, rather than some fantastical image of him.  Yet, I would compare and so I think it best for me to live the life I have now with friends and family who are there for me in so many ways and a stubborn, smart, slightly crazy, loving cat.

• Like 4

• Members
5 minutes ago, shawnt said:

Part of my strategy to make my life liveable is to try and look forward more than I look back

Which is something I need to improve on a whole lot.................

• Like 2

• Members
9 hours ago, foreverhis said:

And finally, because we were perfectly imperfect for each other, he does live in my heart that way.

Going one crazy step forward from that, I kinda chuckle at the times when I've wondered if there will be another and how disappointed I would be in finding someone without Tom's minor flaws and quirks! "Ohhh...you like brussel sprouts. Hmmm...I don't think this is going to work out. You see, I like them but I liked it when Tom ran away from them."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
On 12/15/2023 at 10:35 AM, DWS said:

Going one crazy step forward from that, I kinda chuckle at the times when I've wondered if there will be another and how disappointed I would be in finding someone without Tom's minor flaws and quirks! "Ohhh...you like brussel sprouts. Hmmm...I don't think this is going to work out. You see, I like them but I liked it when Tom ran away from them."

Goof point!  I don't think I could get serious with someone who loved Jethro Tull, not because I hate them but she did.  "Oh you love Jethro Tull? Wow sorry, that's a deal-breaker." 

• Like 3

• Members
On 10/24/2023 at 8:48 PM, widower2 said:

Repeat, considering... this is something I wondered if I'd ever do and have always had mixed feelings about. I don't think I'd feel guilty because I know she'd want me to if I felt the need, and after years of ungodly loneliness, yeah I'd say there's a need....and yet I have to wonder if I would feel guilty despite knowing it makes no sense. Further, I haven't had a "date" since 2000, so oh I'm a little rusty ya think? Basically I'm not sure anyone I'd be interested in would be interested in me. And just the whole dating, getting to know someone thing makes me want to wretch. 

I guess I'm mostly just babbling out loud, but wondering if anyone else has considered (or even done?) this, either near term or for those newer to this journey, farther down the road after you've had more of a chance to regroup. 

I even recently joined one of these dating sites just to see who's out there and how could I accurately portray myself.

ugh. What's on TV ;)   

You may want to read my lengthy thread . It is about every thing your thinking about based on my personal experience .

"Autocharge my experience"

Autocharge (moving forward”new normal”)

• Like 3

• Members
TrentonRoth

I totally feel you on the whole dating site skepticism – not my favorite thing either. But hey, gotta admit, in this modern world, they do seem to work for many. I agree with others here that it's a way to connect with like-minded people and who knows, maybe even find a soul mate. Just take it at your own pace, no rush. However, if the whole online dating scene isn't your jam, but don't want to be alone, stumbled upon this cool resource recently - aurumgirls.co.uk. It's not your typical dating site, but a place to find awesome company for a great time. Who knows, you might just discover a fantastic companion for the evening.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I think there may be a universal human need for companionship and another soul that listens to you like no other .+ Wrestling naked can be a lot of fun.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2