Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Considering dating again...

widower2

• Moderators

lol FH. Thanks, but you give me more credit than I'm due as it has nothing to do with bravery. It has everything to do with loneliness...and I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but it sounds like I've had more experience in that than you (realizing that we've all had more than our share of course), having only met my love in 2000 and my dating experience before that being mostly a train wreck...and now having been without her slightly longer than we were together, which blows my mind.  I guess I'd resigned myself to an "alone again, naturally" (brownie points if you get that song reference) all these years but finally starting to feel like "well...wait a damn minute....this sucks" and actually thinking about acting on it vs just thinking about acting on it. 

As for online dating, while I'm not holding my breath, I think it beats the "old fashioned" way of bars or chance encounters or hoping to meet a friend of a friend/etc. You can find out more about someone up front. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I tend to feel people make their own luck. If someone is serious about wanting to get into a relationship, it's better to try and seek that out vs hoping you bump into the right person among the crowd (whether a crowd in general or among friends etc). Dating sites have their flaws, but IMO are generally still the best way to try and find someone as you can get information about them up front.

• Like 3

• Members

I work with teenagers so second (third, fourth??) the feelings of horror about young people online.  It's gross to me but I believed the internet was a "fad" for 20 years 😊 til I realized it was here to stay.

I wish you good luck, Widower.  We can't have what we don't try for, and maybe as others have said, you'll make a new friend at thr least.  I landed in a relationship despite myself.  Its been both enriching and difficult.  I've had to learn when to ask for privacy to grieve and still fall into the trap of wishing for my beloved.  Either way, we're still here so whatever we chose to help us live life is something

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Good luck Widower2.  I guess I’ve watched too many scary shows on Netflix about dating nightmares from the internet that I am reluctant to follow through with it.  The idea of creating a profile of myself turns my stomach.  Ugh!  Too much work!!  I am old school, I figure if I am “supposed” to meet someone it’ll happen in an organic way.  That way in my twisted mind I can tell myself my late husband had a hand in it and maybe it would feel “ right”.  Lol.  It’s been 5 years and it hasn’t happened yet… I guess I’m past my expiration date!  

Nowadays you really do need to use a dating site to meet any one.  My youngest daughter met her husband on Match.com.  The key is using the right site and having parameters.  Can they carry on an intelligent conversation?  Do they ask questions about you or is it all about them?  When you do meet make it somewhere neutral and generally drinks or coffee.  Go slow so you can always back out… you never know what you’re getting into.  

• Like 4

• Members

You have to be open to at least the possibility wether on line or in person.

That's a decision we get to make for ourselves , I don't think there is a wrong answer it is what you feel is right for you now.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, widower2 said:

Update: omg y'all. If you are considering this, IMO do not waste time with eharmony.com. Their questionnaire appears to be written by someone in about oh 8th grade. I truly hope this isn't what our younger generations are coming to. 

Match.com is the same. And both demand you provide a phone number. Fail. 

Wow and check this! https://healthyframework.com/dating/review/match/

People don't seem too wowed by eharmony either:  https://www.consumeraffairs.com/dating_services/eharmony.html

• Like 2

• Members

Ugh!  So discouraging!  Not only are there scammers on the dating web site, the actual site scams YOU!  What a mess!

my sister-in-law works behind the scenes for Christian Mingle checking for fraud.  She’s been doing it for a long time and I’m sure has seen some crazy things!  Not too long ago she asked me if I thought about dating again and if so she’d help me out, you know with the online thing.  I told her since she was “in the know” maybe she could just do some vetting for me 😉 well, needless to say I haven’t heard a thing…😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 10/24/2023 at 9:39 PM, widower2 said:

It has everything to do with loneliness...and I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but it sounds like I've had more experience in that than you (realizing that we've all had more than our share of course), having only met my love in 2000 and my dating experience before that being mostly a train wreck...and now having been without her slightly longer than we were together, which blows my mind. 

It didn't come out wrong at all.  I knew what you meant.  No doubt you are correct.  I sincerely hope I do not live long enough to have been without John longer than I was with him.  Contemplating 35 years (37, if you count from the time we met) is too much. 

You have been alone much longer than I, so no doubt that factors in too.  Loneliness is part of the burden we carry, regardless of how long it's been, but I suspect the more time that passes, the heavier the weight.

On 10/24/2023 at 9:39 PM, widower2 said:

As for online dating, while I'm not holding my breath, I think it beats the "old fashioned" way of bars or chance encounters or hoping to meet a friend of a friend/etc. You can find out more about someone up front.

8 hours ago, widower2 said:

If you're just looking to meet people generally, I suggest meetup.com. Not (repeat, not) a dating thing, just a way for people in any given area to form social groups of all kinds...they might be based on age, a hobby or certain activity (like movie goers or hikers etc) or other things.

Yuck to the "old fashioned" way.  I never went to bars or clubs, except with groups of friends for an evening out or to burn off post-performance energy after a show.  And chance encounters happen rarely in real life, at least as far as I can tell.  They do happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

The only places I ever found a man to get to know and date or, in that one special case, to marry involved my avocations of music, theater, and the arts in general.  From high school onward, I only ever spent time with boys and men who had interests similar to mine.  I suspect meetup.com would have been more to my taste than any online dating site.

8 hours ago, DWS said:

One suggestion is to meet the person in a park or equivalent and go for a walk. This is how Tom and I met after a couple of weeks communicating online. Walking has its way of relieving some of the tension and awkwardness. While strolling, you're both looking straight ahead instead of staring at each other. My other suggestion is to be very honest about where life has taken you at this point and be aware of how much sincere interest the other person has in that. 

That's an excellent idea, IMO.  If you're in a public place and not confined to a table at a cafe or something like that, you'd feel freer to talk with less "we're on a date" pressure.

8 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

Certainly i want nothing less...or like we say in Italy: "meglio soli che male accompagnati!"

(Better alone than badly accompanied!)🙃

Absolutely!  After our daughter's fiance decided he "didn't want to be a father after all," she didn't date for years.  Once our granddaughter was school age, she dated a few times, but simply wouldn't settle for anyone less than "a man as good as my dad."  Now she's mostly happily single, though she admits that she misses having a partner at times, because she's comfortable in who she is and does not feel the need to be with someone just so she's not alone, especially not after "the sperm donor," who does pay his child support as required, and one man several years ago she reconnected with at a high school reunion.  He lives a few hours from John and me, so after a number of months, our daughter decided that yes, she and our granddaughter would visit for a weekend.  Well, I woke at 6 am of their second day to a phone call and a sad, angry voice saying, "[Granddaughter] and I need to get out of here.  Can we come to you and daddy right now?"  Of course they could.  I won't go into the disaster that man turned out to be in his home environment, but suffice to say he had hidden it well on his many visits up to them.  She's never dated seriously since.

6 hours ago, KayC said:

Not to mention there are a lot more women than men at this age...

Well, that's certainly true.  Many of them (not the ones here, mind you) are looking for a younger woman.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RichS said:

“Rich, after being married to you, why would I want to get married again? Take it either way.”  :)

I'm sure she meant it in a good way.  💖

3 hours ago, RichS said:

“I can’t stop loving you” by Ray Charles

That song is gut wrenching even after all these years.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, foreverhis said:

What a wonderful sense of humor she had!  That's so important, don't you think?  

I definitely do. I think I was good at that, making her laugh. Sometimes it was even on purpose. B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
21 hours ago, KayC said:

My dog is my life and heartbeat!  Panther rates in there too, but not like Kodie, he is amazing.  Sunday after Praise Team practice, my pastor turned to me and said, Kodie was made for you he's just perfect!  Yes, he sure is.  In so many ways.

Definitely. I often think that your Kodie and my Cosi came into our lives not just by happenstance.

I have mentioned several times that she was not the cat I was looking for. With other young ones, I was able to spend time just for the pleasure of it and to help get them ready for their forever homes. There was one 8 month old I very nearly brought home with me, but I was determined to adopt an older cat (4-8 years old).  I helped her and she found her perfect new human mom.

I truly intended to go meet 1 year old then named Cozi, who had been abandoned and somewhat neglected, just so I could say hello and move on. She was shy and reticent and overlooked because of her trauma. I figured the only way to get her out of my mind was to make the nearly hour long drive and be done with it.

When I said hello, she poked out from her protective blankets and claimed me almost immediately. Two hours later, I was a bit shocked that we were on our way home. And 3 weeks later, as she was flying around her new home getting into mischief and driving me crazy, I asked John, “You had something to do with this, didn’t you?” I believe he told “the powers that be” that I didn’t need a mature, sedate cat who would give me a reason to blob on the sofa even more and hide away. It was as if Heaven sent me the girl I needed, not the one I planned on or expected.

For now and maybe forever, she’s enough to keep me going and keep my faith in life and love alive.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I had been looking for one at least a year old who would be house trained...didn't even look for Klee Kai as they'e hard to find and so expensive...I was blown away when my son found one two miles from his little known obscure town!  The rest is history, my natural born service dog, so sweet!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I have 6 dogs and they are very good companions.  However, it's not the same as having a human being there for you.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 10/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, widower2 said:

I haven't had a "date" since 2000, so oh I'm a little rusty ya think?

Sure they'd be interested! With your sense of humor!  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I might try but I have had such bad luck with it all my life, basically the only one out of MANY major relationships that ever loved me and treated me right was George, but it wasn't just that, we clicked from the very beginning.  It was amazing...and then as luck would have it, he died.  He was my person and I his.  I'm okay alone.  I have my memories and they were enough to last a lifetime.  But if someone is wishing for someone, they should make it happen, imo.

• Like 4

• Members
13 minutes ago, KayC said:

That wasn't me, it was a quote from widower2

Yes, I know. I just got lazy rather than to search for it. Good quote, though.

• Like 1

• Members
19 minutes ago, KayC said:

That wasn't me, it was a quote from widower2.

When I read responses, unless the writer directs the response to a particular person,  I have no idea who they are talking to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, KayC said:

Sure they'd be interested! With your sense of humor!  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I might try but I have had such bad luck with it all my life, basically the only one out of MANY major relationships that ever loved me and treated me right was George, but it wasn't just that, we clicked from the very beginning.  It was amazing...and then as luck would have it, he died.  He was my person and I his.  I'm okay alone.  I have my memories and they were enough to last a lifetime.  But if someone is wishing for someone, they should make it happen, imo.

Very kind of you Kay. :)  I've had insanely bad luck too. I've shelved the idea for now. One day maybe -

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members
14 hours ago, widower2 said:

Very kind of you Kay. :)  I've had insanely bad luck too. I've shelved the idea for now. One day maybe -

I am not ready at all yet.  It has only been 7 months for me, and I still cry every day.  I still can't believe it.  It's like I'm shot with a stun gun a few times a day, especially in the middle of the night and early morning.  Then I pull myself together and go on.  But I was talking with an old friend last night, and she started dating only two months after her husband died because her philosophy is that life is for the living and meant to be lived.  My mother-in-law said that too, and she remarried a year after her husband died.  I don't know.  I live my life in other ways right now.  Dating just doesn't sound good to me.  When a man talks to me, if it seems like a flirt, I get a tightness in my stomach and later on after the talk is over, I feel sick to my stomach.

• Like 4

• Members
20 minutes ago, Nancy2 said:

I live my life in other ways right now.  Dating just doesn't sound good to me.  When a man talks to me, if it seems like a flirt, I get a tightness in my stomach and later on after the talk is over, I feel sick to my stomach.

It's a personal choice with no time frame (kind of like grieving). Friends and family may have their opinions. That's fine. Yours is what matters the most.

• Like 2

• Members

I've actually dipped my toes in the dating pool.

I am having trouble with it. Met a nice man online but  apparently just couldn't deal with the reality of dating again. I  felt like an awkward teenager, unsure; convinced that no one would ever love me again ( or if I could love again.) So of course I blew that. Overthinking it all.

It also brought up  all sorts of sadness

And while I like the "idea" of dating, the reality doesn't seem possible right now.

My husband of 20 years passed away unexpectedly almost 2 years ago. And I am still processing it.

And Widower2, I can relate. Dating now is sooo different than it was in 2000. The dating site Our Time is what I was on. I really dislike the whole matchmaker thing. And no results. By my age, I can decide who I want to date.

Will probably let it alone for now.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Welcome here!

Grief Process

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs)))  Praying for you today.

• Members

Alisond:  Welcome to our board! Here you'll find sympathetic people who understand your grieving. I lost my wife 15 months ago after being married for 42 years. I along with other folks on this board get what you're going through. 

As for dating, I have no desire to date either now or in the future; but that's me. You may not feel comfortable dating right now and that's fine. You'll know when the time is right for you. Others will give you their opinions; but your decision is what matters the most. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Alisond said:

And Widower2, I can relate. Dating now is sooo different than it was in 2000. The dating site Our Time is what I was on. I really dislike the whole matchmaker thing. And no results. By my age, I can decide who I want to date.

I don't have a problem with the online matching up concept itself, but the sites themselves seem to have changed for the worse...some of the questions they ask in their little questionnaire are frankly stupid and some more sensible ones they never ask. That plus when I saw the list of available women, frankly I saw very few that I might be interested in. Also I'm not wild about them requiring my phone number as well as date of birth (I always lied just slightly)..."age" should be more than enough. In short, I don't trust them. 

• Like 4