Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Who am I?

Boggled

• Members

KayC!  tech stuff!  oh my goodness, every night I bring the TV remote into my bedroom which I keep closed off from the kittens ... heaven help me if something happened to that remote!  I turn the TV on at 6:00 pm but don't watch it mostly.  But shoot, "tech stuff" was my husband's forte.  Not mine!  I've been 20 years relying on him to do any tech stuff.  

29 minutes ago, ThereIsAField said:

I don't know if part of the problem is that I've felt like the old me "shouldn't" have gone... I didn't know that grief could change your sense of identity... Like probably everyone here, I'd experienced losses and grief previously too, but of a smaller scale and those griefs didn't change my sense of identity, so I think I assumed that that was how it was meant to be and that by allowing this bigger grief to change my sense of identity, I was failing somehow, it was a sign of weakness that I couldn't hold onto "myself"... So I think I've struggled and fought it, and tried to stop it from happening, which has probably made the process needlessly messy and painful.

I don't know how to accept/ feel comfortable with this loss of an old sense of identity and having to wait until a new identity "grows" into place... Like a big old tree being felled by a storm... and now there's a new tree shoot... a tiny green little thing... and it bears no comparison to the big old sturdy tree and I can't get used to the difference.

Me too, experienced losses and grief previously, but of a smaller scale and those griefs didn't change my sense of identity either.  I was still strong, still had my mojo, still had my "other half!"   Now I'm a half, and a lesser half at that.  "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"  kind of like me without my husband!

I haven't even worried about signs of weakness.  I KNOW I'm weak.  I STILL have to "carry on," even with this emptiness that is the "me" that related everything to "him."   I did a few things on my own, out of my own will ... gardening was a big one.  I would bring him a fresh-picked stalk of asparagus, and he didn't really want it ... ... ... (hahahahahaha!  ... hurt my feelings at the time, but ... now, that's one bit of "me" that I carried on with BEFORE, that I still have now, AFTER.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

and KayC, hauling/stacking wood!  that is HEAVY.  I avoid it as much as I can.  We have an old woodpile.  I used some out of the middle of it, rotted into shards, to start the "hugelkulture" under dirt in the garden.  I hope you have some help with the wood ... you live in a colder area than I do, so I'm guessing you supplement whatever other source of heat you have with a woodstove(?) ... but with your hands ... and I KNOW that wood is heavy.   I really hope somebody can help you with that.

• Like 3

• Moderators

My only heat aside from my wood stove is a portable heater, keeps me from freezing this time of year only.  No I don't have help, I rely on myself.  It's very hard to make the sharp turn with the wheelbarrow on my 40' ramp, on ice it's even harder.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

My only heat aside from my wood stove is a portable heater, keeps me from freezing this time of year only.  No I don't have help, I rely on myself.  It's very hard to make the sharp turn with the wheelbarrow on my 40' ramp, on ice it's even harder.

KayC, I have a little green plastic wagon about 3' long, maybe 1-3/4' wide, $5 at a garage sale long ago.   I love it!  It's also lightweight, olde Fisher-Price, I think.  Plastic wheels that have held up for many years!   We'd bought a kind of little cart at Aldi's, too, on little wheels, that I can wheel out onto our front deck, load with wood, and wheel inside, though it wouldn't work on grass, dirt, or snow.  Just a thought.

• Like 3

• Members
1 hour ago, Gail 8588 said:

I am okay with just being an old lady who lives alone. I do my best to be a good friend, a supportive mom/grandma. I try to be kind.  But I am nobody of any importance, and that's okay.  It just feels different because for forty years I lived with someone who actually was important.

That must be a loss right there.  It's different from what I'm dealing with;  for me, it's that we did EVERYTHING together, so that "sound of one hand clapping" (which had just occurred to me), is pretty relevant to how I'm feeling.  But no longer being recognized as a sort of "adjunct to a star" ... is kind of like my grandmother, whose husband, my grandfather, was an inventor, and always ran the show when he was alive, and we would go to visit.   One of the things I've thought, in this past 15 months, is of the many times I used to walk to or from school, right past her house, and didn't visit her, after my grandfather had passed.   Kids live in their own world.  But you're important, Gail 8588, in yourself.  I believe that!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Boggled said:

KayC, I have a little green plastic wagon about 3' long, maybe 1-3/4' wide, $5 at a garage sale long ago.   I love it!  It's also lightweight, olde Fisher-Price, I think.  Plastic wheels that have held up for many years!   We'd bought a kind of little cart at Aldi's, too, on little wheels, that I can wheel out onto our front deck, load with wood, and wheel inside, though it wouldn't work on grass, dirt, or snow.  Just a thought.

lt wouldn't work getting it up here on the deck where I need it, if my wheelbarrow is hard, there's nothing else that would work, but am considering having that rail cut back so I can make the turn easier.  Wheelbarrows when you lift the back end, rest on one tire, can't get much easier than that, it's just that the guy that built this ramp wasn't thinking.

• Like 2

• Members
54 minutes ago, ThereIsAField said:

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to read this sort of thing in Scientific American. This was particularly noteworthy...

"A key factor that allows us to turn adversity into advantage is the extent to which we fully explore our thoughts and feelings surrounding the event"

and also...

"To be sure, many of the steps that lead to growth after trauma go against our natural inclinations to avoid extremely uncomfortable emotions and thoughts. However, it’s only through shedding our natural defense mechanisms and approaching the discomfort head on, viewing everything as fodder for growth, that we can start to embrace the inevitable paradoxes of life and come to a more nuanced view of reality."

This is why sites like the one we're on are so essential. They help us explore our thoughts, observations and emotions with others who are in the same mindset or, as I now refer to it, those speaking our lingo. This is our safespace. Unlike our families and friends around us, our minds here are continually focused on our loss, their absence, what once was, and the concerns of the road ahead. We're not able to shake this thing. It's basically who we are right now and that's pretty well how it's got to be for now. This place is where we can inevitably grow without intrusion and pressure...like a butterfly from its cocoon. 

For myself, I like putting my trust into what author/psychologist/philosopher Thomas Moore wrote in his book "Care Of The Soul" about living within the tension...not putting too much emphasis on an action of change. Basically, letting it be. I'll be whoever that process creates. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

lt wouldn't work getting it up here on the deck where I need it, if my wheelbarrow is hard, there's nothing else that would work, but am considering having that rail cut back so I can make the turn easier.  Wheelbarrows when you lift the back end, rest on one tire, can't get much easier than that, it's just that the guy that built this ramp wasn't thinking.

One thing I as "me" have learned, is that wheelbarrows are doggone TIPPY.  "personally" I as "me" prefer 4 nice balanced wheels!  but tough wheels, 'cause wheels also have a way of going flat!  BUT of course YOU as YOU like your wheelbarrow?  In the interest of survival, if cutting back a rail can make the turn so you have wood so you don't freeze this winter, then ... do you have a saw???   ... yeah you gotta have a saw.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Well we're not doing "experiential avoidance," by coming to this site to write about our experiences.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

From that article:  

"Instead of trying everything we can to inhibit or “self-regulate” those emotions, experiential avoidance—avoiding feared thoughts, feelings, and sensations—paradoxically makes things worse, reinforcing our belief that the world is not safe and making it more difficult to pursue valued long-term goals. Through experiential avoidance, we shut down our exploratory capacities, thereby missing out on many opportunities for generating positive experiences and meaning."

So we're writing about these experiences.  Not avoiding thinking about them.  So.  Good.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
23 minutes ago, Jemiga70 said:

to figure out what to do next and how to be the New Me that I need to be to "get on" with my life. 

Probably the more important question for all of us is "do I want to be a new me?" For me personally, I don't. I want to be the same person that my partner liked and fell in love with. 😢

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
7 hours ago, ThereIsAField said:

Or "Kintsugi" the Japanese artform of repairing broken pottery with gold seams, making the result both more precious and more beautiful than the original (unbroken) vessel

Kintsukuroi means ‘to repair with gold’ in Japanese, and is the art of repairing pottery with gold and understanding that the piece is the more beautiful for having been broken.Kintsugi-2[3].jpg

• Like 3

• Members
20 hours ago, Sar123 said:

It’s hard to find joy in anything. If I do, it’s just for a moment and then I remember I can no longer share that happiness with him.

That's happening to me too.  It was part of who I used to be, the bouncing back and forth of the reaction to any experience, with each other.  

18 hours ago, DWS said:

Probably the more important question for all of us is "do I want to be a new me?" For me personally, I don't. I want to be the same person that my partner liked and fell in love with. 😢

Trying to be that "same person that my partner liked and fell in love with" was who I was TRYING to be, by buying a bike and a kayak, and even though my husband wasn't "into" alternative energy, when I bought that solar panel system, it was a sort of "defiance" of my husband's non-belief in solar!  It was still relating to him, even though it was something I knew he wouldn't have liked, it was still RELATING to what I know he would have thought!  I USED TO BE a person who wanted to do fun physical things, and knew I could put together some solar panels into their system (that came with instructions!) ... and in its way it's been a sort of waste, because when they did arrive, I didn't even open the box (I DID open the bike box, and I DID put the bike together myself!  which was one of those things that give you confidence, but ... now I don't RIDE it.)  I guess these purchases and explorations of "who am I now" have at least shown me, pushed me, forced me, into recognizing, I am not that old person!  I'm different now, I'm not the same as I was!  So now I'm more at this place you're trying to be at, Jemiga70, just sitting and BEING and thinking ... and typing.   It's good to have THIS place to discuss with others! 

15 hours ago, shawnt said:

I do know this, I can not live in this kind of pain.

YES.   Finally, finally, for me, the PAIN isn't nearly so bad ... still have memories, triggers, crying spells, but the EXTREME PAIN is not nearly as bad as it was for SOOOO LONG.   Whatever helped that, if it was just time, or believing Steve is still capable of being here, and is being here sometimes at least even though I can't sense him, whatEVER it was, that huge PAIN ... was the biggest thing I WANTED to stop.    

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I think the idea that our consciousness is not entirely physical, not "of this world," has helped me too.  

I find myself believing that.  I DID feel my husband after he was no longer in his physical body!  that was one of the boggling things that really amazed, surprised, freaked, blew me away.  

Dr. Eben Alexander has some stuff about our consciousness NOT being physical.  oh yeah, people try to "debunk" it, there are forces in this world that don't benefit from that idea somehow??  but me, I think he's right.  AND I think my Steve's consciousness DOES carry on;  in the early months, I FELT him!!!!!   

• Like 3

• Members

insofar as this "non-physical" part,  this thread got moved onto another part of this board, but here's a link:

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

one thing about me being intertwined with my husband, a line out of Edgar Allen Poe's "Annabel Lee," 

"But our love it was stronger by far than the love
   Of those who were older than we—
   Of many far wiser than we—
And neither the angels in Heaven above
   Nor the demons down under the sea
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
   Of the beautiful Annabel Lee; "
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Sar123 said:

it’s probably because evenings were the time we relaxed together after a busy day.

That is the same as I felt after getting off work and especially doing my weekends alone...we were always together when not working.  

11 hours ago, Sar123 said:

I’ve been getting use to this new way of life. I don’t like it, but I’m adjusting to it.

Yes, you are doing what you can.

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
On 1/19/2024 at 9:13 PM, Sar123 said:

@HisMunchkin I’m in the beginning of year two now which is hard for me to believe sometimes. How can he be gone for entire year when I still miss him every single day. I still ask myself, “ How did this happen to us/him?? This happens to other people, not us! But it did.

I look at where I was a year ago, and I was a mess especially in the evening. When I brought it up to my grief counselor, she said it’s probably because evenings were the time we relaxed together after a busy day. This rang true and helped me understand why it had been hard for me,  so I started changing up my routine. Of course I still miss having him here, but it’s not as intense and raw as it was a year ago. Someone in my grief group asked if there was a finish line to grieving. I said there is no finish line for me. I’ll carry this grief (I see it as something I’m carrying in my backpack) with me for the rest of my life, but hopefully it won’t stop me from carrying on the best I can. The “firsts” were the hardest for me as in the first time I went to the grocery store. I had to leave because it was the last time we were texting each other and it was too emotional for me so I left. But now? I’ve gone many times because I got use to it. Kind of like a layer of crust has been built over those “firsts.” I still have emotional breakdowns where I burst out crying when I didn’t see it coming (it happened with a friend this week), but not anywhere near like it was a year ago.  I’ve been getting use to this new way of life. I don’t like it, but I’m adjusting to it. What else can I do? It does get easier and it won’t be as hard as it was in the beginning even though you may not feel like that now. 

How did you change up your routine to ease the distress you initially felt in the evenings?  And ya, I think the grief will stay with you forever.  But the weight of that backpack will likely decrease with time and hold you back less, so to speak.  I'm glad to hear that you are adapting and no longer feel as much pain as last year.  Also, thank you for sharing!   It gives me hope. 💝 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 1/19/2024 at 8:13 PM, Sar123 said:

Kind of like a layer of crust has been built over those “firsts.”

It doesn't quite feel like that for me, but I have noticed that "firsts" are still terrible;  it's just that enough "firsts" have happened by now, that there aren't many "firsts" I'm running into at this point (19 months).  When I open a drawer I haven't opened in a long time, and find some reminder I haven't noticed yet, that kind of "first" can still hit HARD ... but I'm so used to crying, I take the grief and the crying more "in stride" now.    And another odd thing, the FIRST time some reminder hits me, it TRIGGERS a memory and hurts a lot!  ... but after that, the same thing doesn't hurt, at least not nearly as bad;  it's as though you have to go through a multitude of memories and triggers that bring up the memories ... one really hard time? for each one??

The feeling of grief, and the crying from grief, have become a part of "me" and I will always understand them from now on.  But "I" am healing somehow, someway, I feel it, for me more like ... a very small, slight  noticing of "sense of self."  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Gail 8588

Boggled, 

Thanks for trying to put into words how your grief is maturing.  It is a difficult thing to describe. But I do think it helps those who are still in the awful pain and void of grief to read that someone is feeling a bit  'better'. 

None of us expect to be free of our grief, but the excruciating  heartache of loss has to somehow transform into something more bearable.  Your sharing brings hope to others. 

Thanks

• Hugs 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
59 minutes ago, Sar123 said:

We used to watch different series and movies together at night. It was just too hard and the memories still make me tear up.

I know exactly what you mean!  My husband and I used to binge watch shows together on our TV.  I haven't turned on that TV since he was hospitalized, and I haven't watched any of the shows we used to watch together.  It's just too painful of a reminder right now.  That's smart of you to find other things to preoccupies your time in the evening.  Good advice!  Thank you for sharing!  And awww....  I have a dog too, and her presence has definitely helped during this difficult time.  *Big Hugs* to you. 😊💝

• Hugs 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 9/23/2023 at 10:36 AM, ThereIsAField said:

Yeah, the loss of identity has been a really shocking part of grief for me.

I feel like the old "me" died with him and now there's this new me but I don't know who she is and I don't know how to be her.

I keep trying to be the old "me" but it doesn't work.

I don't know if part of the problem is that I've felt like the old me "shouldn't" have gone... I didn't know that grief could change your sense of identity... Like probably everyone here, I'd experienced losses and grief previously too, but of a smaller scale and those griefs didn't change my sense of identity, so I think I assumed that that was how it was meant to be and that by allowing this bigger grief to change my sense of identity, I was failing somehow, it was a sign of weakness that I couldn't hold onto "myself"... So I think I've struggled and fought it, and tried to stop it from happening, which has probably made the process needlessly messy and painful.

I don't know how to accept/ feel comfortable with this loss of an old sense of identity and having to wait until a new identity "grows" into place... Like a big old tree being felled by a storm... and now there's a new tree shoot... a tiny green little thing... and it bears no comparison to the big old sturdy tree and I can't get used to the difference.

I’m also struggling with this “new me” as I don’t know who she is and I don’t know how to be her.  I don’t know how to make a new and happy life for myself.  I’m just surviving day by day with no purpose in my life. My day consists of waking up to care for my cat, make something easy to eat, and go to the bathroom- that’s it.  

The “new me” is supposed to have a daily and nightly routine, eat healthy foods and vegetables, exercise daily, acquire a hobby, do volunteer work, pray to God daily and go to church, go out to new places that I’ve never been to, and keep in touch with my family members regularly.  I don’t do anything that I’ve written above and I should cuz I need structure in my life and I also need to keep my body inside and out in good physical health cuz if I don’t, I’m running the risk of having health ailments down the line.  I want this “new me” to be a happy and content person who has a positive outlook on life, who lives a healthy lifestyle and takes care of herself, who has a spiritual relationship with God, and that this “new me” will love herself and have the self confidence and self esteem needed to successfully live in this life.

• Hugs 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

I know exactly what you mean!  My husband and I used to binge watch shows together on our TV.  I haven't turned on that TV since he was hospitalized, and I haven't watched any of the shows we used to watch together.  It's just too painful of a reminder right now.  That's smart of you to find other things to preoccupies your time in the evening.  Good advice!  Thank you for sharing!  And awww....  I have a dog too, and her presence has definitely helped during this difficult time.  *Big Hugs* to you. 😊💝

I also haven’t watched any of the tv shows he used to watch or any of the tv shows we watched together- that all died with him.

Glad that you have your dog to get you thru your difficult times!  I am thankful for having my cat cuz she gives me her unconditional love, affection, attention and her loyalty to me each and every day since my husband died 4 years 5 months ago.  She is also my sole source of emotional support. When she senses that I’m having a bad day or if I’m depressed, she hops up onto my bed and lays next to me for endless hours without moving.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
3 hours ago, Sar123 said:

@HisMunchkin I started to change my routine a few months ago.  I like to do the treadmill or an easy YouTube exercise video with some music on. Sometimes I work on doing diamond painting which a friend introduced to me last winter. Right now I’m in the process of removing wallpaper from the kitchen which is tedious and time consuming, but it gives me something to do. I like listening to podcasts during this time. I have had no interest in watching tv. We used to watch different series and movies together at night. It was just too hard and the memories still make me tear up. Only recently I started watching a series my sister suggested- “90 Day Finance.” My husband would have had no interest in a series like that, lol. I also got a rescue dog. He’s a quirky little dog, but very sweet. I wish he liked to go on walks, but he hates the leash and will sit there and refuse to move. I love him though. Hopefully, you’ll find a routine that works for you. 

@Boggled Yes, the “firsts” still pop up for me occasionally. Last week when I was talking to a friend, she mentioned that she and her partner are going on a trip to Florida next month. I burst out crying as I told her my husband and I had been planning a trip there when he was going through chemo. He was such an optimist and we had fun looking at different Airbnbs. It was just too much. I hadn’t cried like that in a while. The grief counselor had warned me these bursts of grief could happen at any time and it did. I also have to grieve for all those plans we had for retirement. He worked so hard and we saved so much in our 401ks and he didn’t get to use any of it. I have no desire to travel without him, but I will be going to Mexico City to see my new grandson in April although I’m sad my husband won’t be there. He would’ve been such a fun grandpa. 

Glad to see that you have incorporated exercise in your daily routine and that you have a new diamond painting hobby to keep you busy. I keep procrastinating to start exercising everyday; I don’t know why cuz it can’t hurt me it will help me physically and help me sleep better too.  As far as a hobby, maybe that’s what I need in my life; to find a hobby that I like doing. It’s a good thing that you got a rescue dog to keep you busy and for comfort; sorry that he doesn’t like the leash or to go on walks. 

• Hugs 2

• Members
WithoutHer
2 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

I'm also struggling with this “new me” as I don’t know who she is and I don’t know how to be her.  I don’t know how to make a new and happy life for myself.  I’m just surviving day by day with no purpose in my life. My day consists of waking up to care for my cat, make something easy to eat, and go to the bathroom- that’s it.  

This is where I'm stuck also. It's coming onto a year and I don't see any changes coming to me any time soon. Other than caring for our pets without Vickie I have no other purpose in life. Many here say it will get better but the truth is all of our circumstances are different and some of us, I believe, will be stuck in this loneliness. ☹️

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 9/24/2023 at 2:20 PM, Jemiga70 said:

THIS resonates with me, only I need the patience and trust to go with it.  When I lose something I immediately go on a frantic search for it.  I'm not the guy I was 17 years ago nor am I a husband now.  My monkey mind wages war on me every day to hurry up and "get over" this grief, to figure out who I am now, to figure out what to do next and how to be the New Me that I need to be to "get on" with my life.  My intuitive self knows that's ridiculous and unrealistic, that it's not as simple as that; nevetheless it's a war fought daily.

Hey Jeminga70 I feel the same way you do; that my mind tells me to hurry up and get over this grief, to figure out who I am now, what to do next and how to be the “new me” to be able to “get on” with my life.  

i know who I am now - I’m a single middle aged woman who just wants to feel a newfound happiness and joy in my life. I don’t know how to be a “new me” !!  I’m tired of living in a state of misery and having my thoughts and feelings hijacked by my depression.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
35 minutes ago, WithoutHer said:

This is where I'm stuck also. It's coming onto a year and I don't see any changes coming to me any time soon. Other than caring for our pets without Vickie I have no other purpose in life. Many here say it will get better but the truth is all of our circumstances are different and some of us, I believe, will be stuck in this loneliness. ☹️

Thank you for responding to my post.  Sorry to see that we’re both in the same boat. I keep seeing posts that it will get better but I haven’t seen anything good coming my way yet. Hopefully we won’t be stuck in this loneliness forever.  

• Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
8 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Boggled, 

Thanks for trying to put into words how your grief is maturing.  It is a difficult thing to describe. But I do think it helps those who are still in the awful pain and void of grief to read that someone is feeling a bit  'better'. 

None of us expect to be free of our grief, but the excruciating  heartache of loss has to somehow transform into something more bearable.  Your sharing brings hope to others. 

Thanks

I’m starting to feel the grips of my grief. The other night my mind was racing and telling me to remember the name of that love song I heard years ago. I couldn’t think of it for the life of me and the hours were going by of not being able to sleep cuz my mind wouldn’t shut off.  The name of the love song finally came to me but I couldn’t remember the exact words being sung. After that my mind stopped racing and I eventually fell asleep.  

• Hugs 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
11 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

I’m also struggling with this “new me” as I don’t know who she is and I don’t know how to be her.  I don’t know how to make a new and happy life for myself.  I’m just surviving day by day with no purpose in my life. My day consists of waking up to care for my cat, make something easy to eat, and go to the bathroom- that’s it.  

The “new me” is supposed to have a daily and nightly routine, eat healthy foods and vegetables, exercise daily, acquire a hobby, do volunteer work, pray to God daily and go to church, go out to new places that I’ve never been to, and keep in touch with my family members regularly.  I don’t do anything that I’ve written above

What do you think is stopping you from doing those things?  If it's lack of motivation and/or feeling overwhelmed, have you tried breaking things down to smaller bits and attempting those bits, "bit by bit", so to speak?  E.g., starting tomorrow, you will have vegetables well stocked in your house, and you will eat one serving a day.  And that is all you have to work on a week or two until it has become a habit.  Then you will add another bit.  Whatever seems easiest to do, start with those.  I have found that I can only handle bits at a time.  But hey, the climb over a mountain begins with a step.  Slowly by surely, I'm getting things done, even though it feels like I'm going through life like a zombie most of the time.  I'm still at the "tying up loose ends" stage, so I haven't even begin to even think about the "new me" stage, but I will likely approach that in a "bit by bit" manner as well.  

8 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

From the book, "The Grieving Brain", they say that time alone doesn't really do the healing.  It's the active adaptation to the new circumstances and making changes to rebuild and restore your life to a meaningful one that does most of the healing.  There's a quote by someone called Elbert Hubbard, that's inline with those findings:  "The cure for grief is motion." 

The book also talked about "complicated grief", where some people don't seem to feel much better and don't adapt well even after a year.  You can google the term and see if it sounds like you.  For instance, here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/complicated-grief/symptoms-causes/syc-20360374 

I worry that only spending time with only your pets and ordering groceries instead of going out might be preventing you from moving forward.  Being here and telling us how you feel and what you've been going through, on the other hand, is a very good thing.  So keep talking to us.  But please also try to go out a little?  Try something new that you might find enjoyable, then report back and let us know how it went?

8 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

The other night my mind was racing and telling me to remember the name of that love song I heard years ago. I couldn’t think of it for the life of me and the hours were going by of not being able to sleep cuz my mind wouldn’t shut off.  The name of the love song finally came to me but I couldn’t remember the exact words being sung. After that my mind stopped racing and I eventually fell asleep.  

I had the opposite happen to me last night.  Instead of trying to remember a song, I couldn't get an annoying one out of my head. 😖 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1