• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

My positive is it's Friday and Monday's a holiday :)  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, immortalgypsy said:

Tidied up house a bit and did a load of laundry.

Same here. Needed to vacuum too, but that'll wait till tomorrow 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Had to go to the Navy base exchange and find some new jeans because I blew out my favorite pair of comfy jeans helping my son work on the brakes on his car.  While at the base got me a hair cut because I could hear Veronica telling me it was time for one.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I did my vacuuming first thing in the morning yesterday, I wanted to do around the wood stove & hearth before I opened the wood stove and the embers were hot, so after I did that, it's easy just to keep going, so here I was at 3 am, cleaning! Ha! Didn't dust though, don't want to get too carried away!

So my two feet of snow is totally saturated, it started raining, what a slushy floody mess.

Thankful my daughter called off work...freezing rain and snow in the city, Eugene isn't used to it.  Glad she uses sense.  Reports of roads were horrid yesterday!  Downed power lines, wrecks, emergencies...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Kodie is very sick, feels feverish and throwing up.  Can't make it to town today due to weather, will see how he does...🙏

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 1/14/2024 at 3:22 AM, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Had to go to the Navy base exchange 

I had to laugh because it's been so long since I ever even saw or heard the term "base exchange," let alone used it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members
Gail 8588

Well, my positive is that the  temperature outside is above freezing now.  I know that is not true for much of the US. 

We have several more nights of below freezing temps coming this week. John used to always deal with the outside faucets and stuff.  I'm  never quite sure what I am supposed to do.

Should I have put antifreeze in my car somewhere?  I didn't.  I guess I'll  find out if I should have.

• Sad 2

• Moderators

Reasonably certain your care has antifreeze Gail, or it wouldn't run for long! Whether it's a little low or needs changed out or not is another story, but it does last a very (very) long time. You can easily check it; the cap is probably marked "Antifreeze" near the front.

• Like 3

• Members
1 hour ago, Gail 8588 said:

We have several more nights of below freezing temps coming this week. John used to always deal with the outside faucets and stuff.  I'm  never quite sure what I am supposed to do.

Gail:  You should disconnect your outside hoses if the outside temperature is expected to dip below freezing (32 degrees or lower).

• Like 3

• Members
Gail 8588

Thanks RichS, I did take off the hoses. I put the foam pipe covering (sort of a gray pool noodle that is slit) over the pipes I could reach.  I also put chemical hand warmers (that hunters use), between the foam and the pipe at midnight, as the handwarmers are supposed to last 10 hours.  I also dripped the faucets a little bit. 

I had small ice sculptures under the faucets this morning.  I tried to attach a photo  but can't  seem to get the size of the file down small enough. 

I have 4 outdoor faucets, one one each side of the house.  It's  a lot of running around in the cold inserting my hand warmers at midnight. 

Fortunately, we only have about 1 week of winter weather in Tallahassee.  I'm  not complaining.  I know everyone else has a lot more to deal with. (I lived in Chicago  for 4 years.)

• Like 3

• Members
Gail 8588

@widower2 Thanks for your assurance about the car.  I just took my car to the dealership for routine service last Friday, and they "checked all the fluids". Hopefully they put in antifreeze if it was needed.

I don't  know if the windshield  wiper fluid needs antifreeze. I drove the car today and everything seems okay. 

I don't  have a garage or carport, so my car is just exposed to the elements.   Would it do any good to drive around  at midnight and then put a blanket over the hood to try to keep in the heat?   It is supposed to be colder this Thursday night. 

• Like 2

• Members
Gail 8588

Kay, 

I have never put antifreeze in a car in my life, that I can remember.  For the 38 years I was with John, I as am sure he did. I do remember seeing jugs of antifreeze in our garage, when we lived in Atlanta and in St Augustine.  We had garages at both of those homes, so the cars had some protection.

In the 7 years John has been gone, I don't  think it ever crossed my mind until now. 

Tonight is not going to be as cold as last night. (27 tonight, 24 last night) so I think I'll  be okay tonight. (Thursday night is going to be colder, 20 or 19. ) Tomorrow I'll  call the dealership that just did my service and ask them if I need to add any antifreeze. 

If they say I need to add it, I'll look for a YouTube video to learn how to do it.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

@widower2 Thanks for that information. That’s what I thought, but wasn’t sure. I have a basic understanding of automobile mechanics and could do stuff like change a tire, oil and filter, and even spark plugs and clutch cable (on my ‘67 VW Bug), but don’t always know the details.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm no mechanic myself, but similarly, can do the basics. Most advanced thing I ever did was put new brakes on my car years ago, and that was with some help. What a pain; never again!

• Like 3

• Members

Today I got my first shot to help with the pain of my sciatica. It's actually not been too bad over the past few months; but that could change (bones can shift against nerve endings); so hopefully this will do some good instead of surgery. I have a followup visit with the doctor in two weeks. It's going to take longer than that to find out whether or not future shots will be helpful, so the story to be continued.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

I'm overdue to check my anti-freeze now

I have an appt to get my oil changed Monday and they will check my antifreeze and all of my car's fluids.  

Wow, seems so many of you have sciatica...seems it's like a body check to make sure we're still alive and kicking!  It's almost like when we age we find out what it is we get to deal with!  With me it's my hands...unfortunately that involves anything I try to do.  Oh the fun of it!  🙏for all of us!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1