Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Stress

KayC

• Members

Oh Kay you certainly don't need this. Hoping you rest and heal physically and de stress mentally. It is hard going it alone, too hard...feeling for you...

• Like 2

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I was with them 15 years, they give no service even though I paid $8.94 to say hello and they're supposed to come out free of charge and fix something, they never did.

WOW!!!...................That is the ULTIMATE INSULT to customer loyalty............

I'm sure if any of us on this board lived nearby, you'd have lots of help until you felt better. Yes, thank God there's no snow to shovel!!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Night before last Spectrum told me to drive to Spectrum in Roseburg again, if my current cellphone wasn't on its last leg (Pixel 2, badly cracked, on last leg, won't update) I would have skipped it but we went, my neighbor drove my car for me, too much pain. Got a Pixel 6a $200, charging me $30/line until they get the MotoG Pure back and then they'll cancel that line and put this one on as the free line for a year.  Of course they never prorate anything.  Getting hit hard this month with double billing from Viasat $20 and full billing from Spectrum $80, and paying for two phones ($144 and $200) and return fee $50!  Need to see $144 and $50 go away and Viasat, don't get me started on them!  Still waiting for return shipment box/label for their 15 year old equipment!

Got home 3-3:30, ate first meal of the day, then took Kodie to play with Jazzy, came home and ate a little, loaded fire, took Kodie out to play with Panther a bit, done for the day.  Slept nearly seven hours straight!  Felt good not to wake up in the night.
Spectrum has given me the streaming spiel FIVE times! They'll buy out up to $500. I had just signed up to Dish for two years, only three months down, $70/month, nope!  Also, just got used to how the hopper works.  I don't have a smart tv so would still need a DVR box, let's see, they want to charge $89/month, after their $500 off $1,470 buyout I'd be paying $970 to dish and $89 more to Spectrum...have we got a deal for YOU!  Umm...NO! :D The original salesman signed me up for it even though I told him NO so had to have it removed.  This has been a horrid experience but once the mobile phone issue is done it should be better.

May on is my catch up on doctor's appts, vet, etc. after the winter. The older I get the worse it is, mammogram, colonoscopy, bone density test, ENT, annual exam, blood tests, dermatology exam, eye exam, glasses, dental checkup, Kodie's physical, and poop test (they never tell you how to collect a fresh poop sample on command).  It seems I'll be going to the valley all the time!  At least the Covid stuff is behind us a bit, I got it last summer but Omicron wasn't as bad as Delta so lucky there (didn't feel lucky my worst days!

It's all just everyday in the life of!  Throw news/politics in....hmm, this is not the "Golden Years" we heard about!  Losing George nearly 18 years ago changed that.  Getting by but there has to be more to life than fighting companies, bad news, etc.

My fingers jitter since these hand injuries...I tried to sign up with online payments our church hooked up with, it got messed up, couldn't log in or see where I was at, etc.  Took two days to get reply from the company, good thing I persisted, they have me down for monthly and already did one, finally can get in and have it bookmarked.

• Hugs 4

• Members

Ugh, I hate dealing with difficult companies.  I'm bad at it, so don't know what helps, but you have my sympathy. 

As far as getting the dog poop, though, that I can do.  Watch the dog in the yard until you see him poop (usually first time out in the morning is  a good time because he's gotta go then).  With a plastic bag around your hand, pick up a poo (don't need a lot) and turn the bag inside out, seal and take to the vet fairly soon (a few hours is ok).  

• Like 2

• Members
Mama_Bear_11

Spectrum is the worst! That all sounds incredibly frustrating! Sometimes, it feels like you are discharging all your "bad karma" all at once, so hopefully it will be smooth sailing after it's resolved.

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, AJ4 said:

Watch the dog in the yard until you see him poop

He doesn't poop in our yard but on our walks (but never when you can count on it!) in bushes...we're in the country.

33 minutes ago, Mama_Bear_11 said:

Spectrum is the worst! That all sounds incredibly frustrating! Sometimes, it feels like you are discharging all your "bad karma" all at once, so hopefully it will be smooth sailing after it's resolved.

I am hoping so, now I'm fighting with them on reversing the charge for my phone I returned and giving me the promised free charge for the mobile phone for first year (haven't taken off the $30 month yet even though one returned and only have one activated line!).  It truly is a nightmare.  And Viasat internet?  The absolute worst!  At least Spectrum has good internet even if their customer service sucks big time!

• Moderators

My homeowners went up from $1387 to $1826, that's 34% increase! I tried to set it up to pay in four payments, they show that option but it won't let me. Called and they said I have to pay in full next month. It's already highway robbery.  Foremost is the only one who will insure older mobile homes.  :(

Spectrum charging me two months upfront on mobile service, yet they'd told me it'd be free the first year! The gal in mobile service said, "Oh, I wish the salesmen wouldn't lie." Yet I saw it advertised last night on t.v. :angry2: Still no credit on the phone I returned last week.

Getting locked in with companies like this doesn't feel very good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members

I might as well chime in on this thread. Four years ago we had a new roof installed on our house (TOTAL COST = $11,000). Recently, squirrels or some other varmints have put a hole in our roof. It needs to be repaired. Why? Recent rains gave us some leaks. OK, I thought. Figure $500-$800. I just got the quote this morning.....$2,400!!!! 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Wow, to both of your stories!  Amazing.

• Members
7 hours ago, LostThomas said:

On Monday I set up the walk-through and keys turnover and informed them that they had been charging me 40.00 a month for my cat

Certain rentals charge you a pet "deposit." Problem is, it's really a fee. In some cases, you never get that money back when you move out. Some places are honest enough to call it a "non-refundable" pet deposit. Only in the rental business can you never get your money back on a "deposit."

As for the Flex Seal solution, I think I would need enough Flex Seal to fit Phil Swift's arm in it. Then let it rain on him and he'll smile and swear there's no leak in my roof!

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RichS said:

In some cases, you never get that money back when you move out.

When my daughter's husband filed divorce he took their younger cat with him, her older cat passed, no deposit was every refunded.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, RichS said:

I might as well chime in on this thread. Four years ago we had a new roof installed on our house (TOTAL COST = $11,000). Recently, squirrels or some other varmints have put a hole in our roof. It needs to be repaired. Why? Recent rains gave us some leaks. OK, I thought. Figure $500-$800. I just got the quote this morning.....$2,400!!!! 

Yikes! I'd be looking for second and third opinions...

• Like 2

• Members
7 hours ago, widower2 said:

Yikes! I'd be looking for second and third opinions

Yes, I did that yesterday. Hopefully one of them will be more reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I surely hope so, Rich!  Let us know how it comes out...

• Members

Well, I just got my second opinion quote in .........$1,000!! That's a $1,400 difference. Waiting for the third opinion, if they respond. If not, I'm OK with this quote. A friend of mine who owns a business recommended him; so I'm more comfortable with that than going to Angie's List or some other generic website.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Rich, so happy for you!  And with a recommendation, no less!

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's been my week, home repairs, wasps, fall, broken glasses, car issues, DIL mad (least concerned about that, she's always that way), people on FB crazy...now my entire guard is missing that covered my car engine, I never did anything to it nor saw it. Jake will put my car on a lift Sunday to get a good look at it.  If it was missing since I bought it, Honda would have tried to sell me one, they're always pushing things there at high prices. If Oakridge Tire had removed it, they would have called me when they found it (small local place).  Jake can't find one online and will have to go through Honda for one, ugh...moola! 

• Sad 2

• Members

Kay:  I know you live in a rural area. Any chance there's an auto salvage yard within driving distance? We've got one about 15 miles from where we live. They've saved me a lot of money over the years. Rather than buying a new, expensive part from a dealership (to put on old cars), I've taken my chances with a used part; and it's worked out well.

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's about 75 miles from here IF they have this year/model. And no way to haul it.

• Moderators

Thanks, Jake is looking into it, he's a mechanic and knows all the ins and outs of it.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

He could only order from Honda, will be what it will be.

Took someone some meat and $ yesterday, while we were at it took Kodie to the park for 15 min. to walk yesterday, that was all my ankle could take. Took him to Jazzy's to play but he was forsaken without Jazzy there...gave me time to clean up the shards of glass Iris left all over the floor, couldn't find a broom, had to settle for her lame vacuum.  I'm spoiled with mine, old as it is. Got her dishes put away and we left. Elevated/iced my ankle the rest of the day.

My son walked me through some topography on CalTopo last night, now I understand how to measure it, and what to layer, so Bedrock Fire is 10 1/2 miles north of us, makes me feel a little better, but we're still getting the smoke badly.

Offered to help (daughter's BF) Finley, he has a friend shipping him a radiator, so I assume he can install it, just needs the time.  I can't wait for him to get out of there with all that heat!  It was his birthday.

My daughter got two 8 week old kittens, the person didn't get them shots, they need spayed/neutered, too young to leave their mama, she has her hands full.  She kept saying "Stop biting me!" on the phone (they were getting her toes. :D

Such is our lives without our spouses...quiet, boring in comparison. The boring part doesn't bother me, it the not having them to hold us or converse with...

• Hugs 3

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Such is our lives without our spouses...quiet, boring in comparison. The boring part doesn't bother me, it the not having them to hold us or converse with...

Yep, you got that right. Our lives feel empty without them. As I've said before, "Everything looks the same but feels different." God, family and friends help to carry us through this worst period of our lives. This board has been a big help as well. As for finding joy in the future, I'll have to trust those of you who been through this a lot longer than me (that things will get better).

• Like 2

• Moderators

Went to the clinic...

She was a nurse practitioner I've never seen before. She said I needed to go to Urgent Care (over 1 1/4 hours away) in Springfield (and get x-rays and a boot put on my foot (they don't have x-rays up here), this in spite of asking me "Does this hurt? Does this hurt? Does this hurt?" and me telling her no, no, no and showing her where it hurt.  She thought my tan line was a bruise. Was sure my toe was broken, mind you she showed along the edge of the foot where it DOES hurt. They talk to you and get you upset and then tell you your BP is way too high. Yeah, duh, I should have stayed home! So I go home and get Kodie (my service dog) and call the urgent care out of town that she was sending me to, they don't answer, I tried later and they said they were really booked up. Left and get in there, the place is empty. They too take my BP after freaking me out and talking to me. (Does no one know how to take BP?) They didn't give me anything for the BP BTW. Forms, forms, and more forms, all asking the same stuff over and over and over again. (What is this going to cost me?)
They said they don't do anything for broken toes (I knew that, I've had 2 or 3), but it's not my toes, it's never been my toes!
In the end I know no more than I did to start with and the day's been a waste.  I tried to tell her I don't have broken bones.  You couldn't do the walks we do with broken bones.  She never listened.
  • Confused 2

• Moderators

I think it's Peroneus Brevis Tendon, can take months to heal, as long as it's before I have to shovel snow!  

BP up today but not as bad as last night, pulse is great.  It'll keep coming down, the more distance between me and her.

3 hours ago, Gator M said:

You gotta love, "The best medical care in the world".    

Not in our country.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Turns out it's 1 1/2 miles from here and was 40 acres at 4 pm yesterday, they didn't tell us, Lord knows how big it is now or if/when we'll get evacuation notice...

• Sad 3

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Turns out it's 1 1/2 miles from here and was 40 acres at 4 pm yesterday, they didn't tell us, Lord knows how big it is now or if/when we'll get evacuation notice.

Hopefully the smoke doesn't get to you, your neighbors and your pets before any possible evacuation. Yes, our prayers are with you.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Moved to level 1 which is get ready. I updated my laptop and backed info onto it, had some issues...also packed.

Finally got the fire (75 acres) on CalTopo, 2 miles away...

caltopo.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Moderators

Godspeed Kay!  

On 8/3/2023 at 11:21 AM, Gator M said:

Don't get me started. Medicine, like most of our institutions is broken.  It's not so much the people as it is the system.  HIPPA is the worst.   

? HIPPA is the federal law protecting personal information. I respectfully disagree; it's the people. Don't get me started either! There are several so-called doctors out there that if not for fear of being in jail a long time, I would have done something to cause them to need a doctor. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

East winds coming tomorrow early am...they say 10% containment but don't indicate where...praying it's on our side, no structures the other ways.

135 acres, still two miles from my road.  Moving into 90s this weekend for the week...

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

There is way too much forest for goats to take care of, this is a vast amount land and when they quit allowing logging...

I don't want to get into a debate about how to handle the forest, I've lived here 46 years and we never had this until three years ago...I created a defensible space on my property like they demanded in their threatening letter, but I can't manage their forest.

The 10% contained is on the west side, I did get thatt out of them today, but we need the north side as well, if it catches it on fire, it'll quickly spread to here...and with East winds coming tomorrow, throw in the high temperatures, it's not a good mix.

The terrain is too rugged and steep for farming.  We're in the mountains, much wilderness.

• Moderators

As if 163 (now) air quality isn't bad enough, now we have new fires from the lightning!  Ugh...
Nine new fires outside Eugene

In Willamette National Forest, east of Salem and Eugene, multiple new fires have been reported. Most are in the McKenzie River and Oakridge area — the same area as the large Bedrock and Lookout fires.

Here are the new starts so far reported.

-The Horse Creek Fire is 2 to 4 acres in timber burning up a 60% slope, officials said, located at Horse Creek Campground and Old Foley Road.

'The team on the Lookout Fire has responsibility for this fire,' a Friday morning report said. 'This fire reportedly has high spread potential and the team has requested a Type 1 helicopter for assistance. A Forest Service engine, as well as two Oregon Department of Forestry engines, are on scene along with the Grande Ronde Type 2 IA crew. Other heavy equipment has been requested.'

- The Pothole Fire also has resources working on it, officials said. This fire is near Pothole Creek, east of Eugene and on the edge of the Three Sisters Wilderness. A contract fire crew is working on the blaze.

-The Warner Fire (#402) is reported as .10 acre in brush, timber and duff and is smoldering and creeping on a 30 to 45% slope. The responding resources have said there is low spread potential but a lot of snags and are continuing to work on the fire.

-Other fires: Windy Pass (#403) in the Middle Fork, #407 in the McKenzie River District and #408 in the Middle Fork all have engines responding. The firefighters on all three fires have visuals on the reported smokes but are having difficulty gaining access for an accurate size up. Three additional fires: #409, #410 and #411, all in the same general area of the McKenzie Ranger District, have been reported and resources are responding. All three are looking for available smokejumpers.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Today's air quality 22, waiting to see what fires lightening started last night.  Had a dream about evacuating again last night, it woke me up.

Yesterday learning my uncle died wreaked havoc with me...my favorite aunt went in October, my favorite cousin in February, and now him. Someone said, "we've lost three in three years too"...yeah well I lost my closest sister last year and her husband of 50 years the year before...it's like everyone is leaving.  I never hear from family anymore.  Parents, grandparents, most aunts and uncles, all gone.  No more family reunions.  I'm alone.

I made a hamburger pie for the church potluck and deviled eggs.  

Someone said winter's almost here...please, do not bypass Autumn! My favorite time of year.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

it's like everyone is leaving.  I never hear from family anymore.  Parents, grandparents, most aunts and uncles, all gone.  No more family reunions.  I'm alone.

Kay:  I hope thing settle down (weather wise) in your area. I'm sure you're tired of it.

Yes---------and that's why that thought hit me last week-----------be thankful for the family and friends remaining. I try to stay in touch with Chris' friends and relatives as well as my own. Last year I lost an old friend. Unfortunately, he and his brother had a falling out before he died and he was very hurt by certain things (which I won't get into). His brother was somewhat of a friend to me as well. I've haven't heard from him in over a year. I tried to reach out to him recently, with no response. My feeling is that he associates me with his brother (who he wanted to forget about all together----that's how hurt he was) so I accept his ignoring me; which I mentioned in my last e-mail to him.

In another instance I tried to re-connect with a co-worker from years ago. All I got was a short, mild response. You win some, you lose some.

• Sad 1

• Moderators

So a couple of days ago my computer died...stress.  Yesterday I cut my thumb to the bone, 4 1/2 hours later it was still bleeding profusely so I went to ER Dr and got stitches. Numbness shots wore off last night, hurts like the dickens. I can't cook, clean, do dishes, shower.  More stress...

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

Trying to be there for Iris by getting Jazzy out of her kennel when she goes for radiation.  Problem is, she's out of her mind since Mike died (seven months)!  She told me her time for today and even though I have a doctor's appt. I figured it'd work since it'll be quick and I'd go there right afterwards.  Last night she called and woke me up...I didn't answer  but listened to the message this morning, she told me a totally different time!  I called her when I figured she'd be up and now she says the original time!  It's driving me nuts.  Don't know what time tomorrow yet.  It's hard to get the straight story out of her.  And why call me when she knows I'll be asleep!  I have to remember to take my phone off the hook tonight. :huh:

• Confused 1

• Members
6 hours ago, Gator M said:

Isn't there a fog associated with radiation treatments?  Add to that, grief and she's probably not thinking clearly.

You are a special friend.  

Kay really is a special friend.  As I recall, she was the first one to respond to my first post.  I wondered if anyone would even read it and then there she was.  Other members chimed in to welcome me, answer my specific question, and simply "be there" letting me know that they truly understood.

As for radiation and brain fog, my answer is "maybe, but not much in my limited experience."  My dad had the full course of it for prostate cancer and I don't recall him having brain fog.  He had other issues, such as what he was able to eat--that year, John and I donated our entire year's canning of sliced pears in juice, along with half our applesauce stash because he could eat those. 

When John had follow up/light duty radiation after his prostate cancer surgery (15 years before the bladder cancer), his brain seemed fine.  He was tired, of course, and so I suppose that did contribute to him needing me to be on top of things more for that month and the couple of months after.

However, neither my dad nor John were dealing with early deep grief.  I suspect that the stress of having radiation therapy, not knowing if it's working right away, and the physical toll it takes might make existing brain fog worse. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think it's having lost her husband in February and losing her best friend as we speak, and on top of that, dealing with the cancer.  It's a lot.

1 hour ago, foreverhis said:

Kay really is a special friend.  As I recall, she was the first one to respond to my first post.  I wondered if anyone would even read it and then there she was. 

Thank you, Annie, and you helped me out last October big time, w/o which I wouldn't even be on here.  Love you!

It's amazing what great friends we meet and make here!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I think it's having lost her husband in February and losing her best friend as we speak, and on top of that, dealing with the cancer.  It's a lot.

Thank you, Annie, and you helped me out last October big time, w/o which I wouldn't even be on here.  Love you!

It's amazing what great friends we meet and make here!

Love you too.  I was so very happy to help.  It's hard being so far away from each other, but knowing that we can be here for each other is such a grace in my life.  I was thinking the other day about the term "family."  This is a family, regardless of distance and circumstances.

I do suspect that Iris's fresh grief plus the brain fog that goes with it is being made worse by all the stress, physically and emotionally, of her radiation treatment.  How very frustrating for you both.  Losing her best friend while she goes through cancer treatment herself is just one more weight on her mind and heart.  Too much, really.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

Yes, it's way too much, and I have been amazed at all she has navigated since losing Mike, BTW, that was unexpected, a long haul Covid trragedy.  Even things like her ins. company wanting pictures of her roof from every angle to prove it's metal, not compostion, good grief! It was in the house appraisal if they'd just look!  Our ins. person came up and did it for her!  Such a great agent!  But just one more stress to tick off.

I 100% agree that this is a family here, it truly is.

• Moderators

Microsoft.  #1 Enemy.  Seriously.  Got notice to renew Office 365 last night (a month early) and thought it'd just be a matter of paying them.  No, it turned into hell!  Over an hour, they still won't let me into Outlook, they wanted to text my old cellphone but I don't have it and they won't let me in to change it!  I have the last known pw, but they won't let me use it and won't send me a new one!  I hate Microsoft!  Put me through hell last night!  This morning they locked me out from trying.  I REALLY hate them!  No one else is so proprietary and difficult to deal with! They had me fill out stuff online, then told me to call them, called the number, get AI that tells me to go to their webpage, so I do, it says it can't be found, yep, typed it in right!  Tried chat, no help, again, again no help, third time got someone who stayed with me for a while, I downloaded it but oh God it wasn't easy!  No one would answer my questions! More questions than answers, told me to download OneDriveNow, but already did that this month, I paid for it!  I finally got Office 365 downloaded, why can't they just take my $ and say I'm good for a year!  Locked me out of my Outlook account, won't send me a password and I've jumped through all their hoops.  Ugh, so done with them!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Kay, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft either . Their operating systems are crap and full of spyware but I have no choice but to use them. I've tried Linux, tried free office software but keep going back to Microsoft's. Anyway, they do have the Office suite that you pay for once and you can use it as long as you want. I would never go for their 365 stuff as I hate subscriptions for any type of software. Hope you get this thing sorted out though, good luck Kay.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Iris just called, she said she might hire an exterminator, she noticed they hadn't been deterred by anything else.  She was gone when I called and forgot to check her messages.  And she still can't hear out of the one ear that had the busted ear drum.  I'll have to cut her some slack. :(   She hasn't heard if Denise made it through the night.  I still hate Microsoft and notice they removed my AVG, I just reinstalled it.

Anyway, Office 365 good for another year.  I used to have Linux and loved it but it's been years...I'm getting old.

• Like 2

• Members

Yes, sounds like she is in overwhelm. I know it can be frustrating when we see and want to fix such an "obvious" problem... But sometimes people just cannot deal with that issue right then, even if it makes no sense... It's obviously been that way for a while and it's not an acute source of danger, and if you'd not checked her drawers, it'd still be there, unbenownst to you... Let God/ the universe deal with the mouse issue for now... I'm sure she'll ask for your help, once she's ready to deal with that issue... Sometimes being a friends is accepting the foolishness and stubbornness of others... They have to put up with our foolishness and stubborness too sometimes you know 😉

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

Kay, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft either . Their operating systems are crap and full of spyware but I have no choice but to use them. I've tried Linux, tried free office software but keep going back to Microsoft's. Anyway, they do have the Office suite that you pay for once and you can use it as long as you want. I would never go for their 365 stuff as I hate subscriptions for any type of software. Hope you get this thing sorted out though, good luck Kay.

Check something called Libre Office. It's basically an MS Office clone, for free. I bought MS Office years back (I forget what version) in some "great deal" through work, I think it was like only $10. I overpaid. After a few months it stopped working and "MS support" is an oxymoron. Installed LIbre Office, use it often, no problems.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I wish I'd known yesterday before I paid, but it's all good.  Microsoft is really on my sh_t list right now (and always!), gave up ever getting into my Outlook account, they will NOT let me in and believe me I've been at it since 2 am, only taking a couple of breaks, locked out.  I give up.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ThereIsAField said:

Yes, sounds like she is in overwhelm.

We had a good talk this morning, her best friend passed in the night (I posted about it in the spirituality thread), she went on  her birthday.  
At first I thought you were talking about me!  (overload)  Ha, applied to me too only not even on the level Iris is.  I did her dishes this morning, didn't touch the mouse messes...she did say she'll consider an exterminator but right now she has her plate full with Denise dying, she's walking her dog and then going to go do what she can to clean out Denise' stuff.  I ordered two more electronic traps for the shop and outdoor storage.  Lord knows where the old trap went! But another one is worn out.

• Sad 1