Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief Group - helpful?

Mama_Bear_11

• Members
Mama_Bear_11

Hi all,

My sister in law is pushing hard for me to join an in-person grief group. While I know they can be helpful, I am an empath and tend to soak up others' emotions, and I think that would be absolutely detrimental to my well-being! She doesn't seem to understand that, and thinks I’m being shy. It's more that soaking up others' grief can really drag me down for days (or weeks), and with kids to care for, I can't manage that.

This forum is lovely; maybe being the internet, I don't tend to pick up the emotions quite as much. I feel this is enough.

What have you experienced?

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Bottom line, go with what works. It's clearly not for you, so don't do it. It doesn't matter if it works for others or not.

I tried it and didn't care for it either, for different reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I attend one that only meets once a month. Nice people, for sure; but I quickly discovered that I needed more than that. This forced me to search the internet and somehow I discovered this site. This became my primary source since then.

• Like 3

• Members
4 hours ago, Gator M said:

Even with Griefshare.org, I keep having setbacks.

Hi Gator M.  I just want to mention that throughout my first 2 years or so, I had setbacks.  "Two steps forward, one step back" was a pretty common thought for me.  And I have excellent, caring, loving small circles of friends and family here for me then and now.

At first, I had so many setbacks that I thought I'd never find my forward at all.  After a while, I realized that this grief journey has twists and turns, mountains to climb, overgrown side roads, and even u-turns and circles.    I guess what I'm trying to say that I'd be surprised if you weren't having setbacks at this point.  Even with help, comfort, support, and faith, we're only human with all the foibles and imperfections that go along with that. 

If you find you need more, it wouldn't hurt to ask for a referral to a grief counselor.  Not just any old "therapist," but one who specialized in grief and trauma.  Your local hospice might have suggestions.  Your church may as well.  I'm sure you know it is not a sign of weakness to reach out and up and say, "Please help."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
12 minutes ago, Gator M said:

I travel a lot and my schedule has been crazy.  

Well that certainly complicates your search, I'm sure.  I hope you're able to find someone who is the right fit for you and that will truly be able to help.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Gator, could you find a local grief COUNSELOR (not support group,in addition to), and do zoom meetings when you have to travel, in person when home?  Once every week or two maybe...not a month in between, imo, that's too long.

• Like 1

• Members

• Members
On 4/21/2023 at 12:25 PM, Mama_Bear_11 said:

What have you experienced?

I tried a Zoom support group for men who'd lost their partner. The guys were great, but the conversations didn't mitigate my pain.  Then I tried another Zoom group based in the UK. The facilitators were highly credentialed and lovely people, but again same deal.

In person counseling has mostly been a waste of money. I wish I had that money back. Neither counselor could relate to my anguish. I stopped going.

I did EMDR sessions. Those might've helped diminish the neurobiological trauma of witnessing my wife's sudden death.

No, the only things that have helped me have been this forum, some excellent afterlife info sources online, and my sitting with a medium, which was amazing.  Perhaps I'll talk about that on another thread sometime.

I know what you mean about being an empath @Mama_Bear_11.  Wish you some peace,

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jemiga70 said:

Neither counselor could relate to my anguish. I stopped going.

I would too.  It all depends on who we get as to whether or not it's beneficial or horrible experience.  Like I said, my friend has a Thanatology Degree and is a retired grief counselor, and she has been more beneficial to me over the years, she has a grief website, back then it was more active, her "helps" are amazing, she has a blog site and discussion group but most amazing are her articles, lists of books, etc.  Her counsel has been so worthwhile over the years!

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Gator M said:

What I'm looking for is a Grief Group that does social events...actually gets together not on-line.   Go as group to go eat, watch a movie or a ballgame or just hang out.  I was in a singles group after my divorce...it occupied my time with others who can relate. 

I didn't see a Widow/Widower group specifically, but some social options here, and tons more if Nawlins area isn't too far:

https://www.meetup.com/find/?location=us--la--Covington&source=GROUPS&distance=fiftyMiles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

I went to a griefshare group for a few weeks.  It was hard, emotionally.  I also react strongly to emotion in others, and I'd cry during the meeting, and feel exhausted by emotion.  But in the days after that I would feel lighter, less pent up.  I felt like it helped me get things out and feel less alone.  Unfortunately, the only one I could find was very religiously based, and I just was stymied and distracted by that until I gave up going.  I didn't want to be preached to. I don't want to be told that their way is the right way, the only way (face it, this is what most religions are about).   I am not a religious person althougth I have my own spiritual side.   It was after I stopped going to that group that I found this group.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

I am sorry they used grief as a platform on which to preach...we did not do that in the grief support group I led.  Not at all.  We are there for grievers, not to  proselytize

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yeah I went to several church-hosted grief groups and they weren't even the slightest bit preachy. Sorry your experience was different. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Again I can only speak of my experiences - I haven't found people in church in general to talk or think "preachy" at all. And the grief group sessions weren't even a tiny bit religious. They were just trying to help people grieving.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Gator M said:

But to me that's not preachy. 

It might feel that way to a non-believer though.  All in perspective.

• Like 2

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Gator M said:

Our's suggested to lean on God and support ...which alot of time were church members.

It's everyday speech for me.  

But to me that's not preachy. 

I guess it's in how it's done. No one IMO going to a group session at a church should be surprised (or offended) if something like that is simply mentioned, or say a quick prayer done at the end of it. But they shouldn't ask someone point blank about their beliefs or make the whole thing "religion based," if you know what I mean....or if that is the intent, it should be made clear up front. 

• Like 2

• Members
William M

This is my group right here. It got me through the really bad part........ Grateful!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm glad.  I love how the people here are HERE for each other!  

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members
On 4/25/2023 at 8:13 AM, DWS said:

I think this is likely more the case for those of us grieving the loss of loving partners and spouses because we've lost our essential daily companion...our go-to conversationalist, our sounding board, the one we bounce thoughts and ideas off...our whim-catcher!

Yup, exactly.  My husband was my "all", my right hand man.  I try to post one comment a day here just so I have something to look forward to (a response, a "hug",  idea, etc).  But now I find myself running to the computer all the time to see if I have any emails or anything new on this site.  Conversation with someone that doesn't understand is just exhausting.  I have a friend that has asked me to go to a big cookout this weekend for Memorial Day celebrations.  She thinks I need to get out & with people.  Today is only 2 weeks since my life changed.  I can't even leave the house, or go in the yard without a panic attack.  The pain is so great.  People mean well but don't want me crying every time time they call me.  My thoughts are... "Well don't call me then".   I don't care.  I don't care about anything.

My question is at what stage of this journey does someone look for grief support groups?  I've looked online & there are a couple around that meet weekly.  I'm not ready to leave the house for necessary things yet, but wondered if a support group would be my first solo event.  I'm desperately trying to keep it together.  I just want one more hug from him.

On 4/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, Gator M said:

As of now, this ain't real pleasant...or functional. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
40 minutes ago, Sheilz said:

She thinks I need to get out & with people.  Today is only 2 weeks since my life changed.  I can't even leave the house, or go in the yard without a panic attack.  The pain is so great.  People mean well but don't want me crying every time time they call me.  My thoughts are... "Well don't call me then".   I don't care.  I don't care about anything.

Oh wow...I am so sorry to hear that you have people encouraging you to start to get out after only two weeks since the greatest loss in your life. So many just don't get it and think the way to "fix" you is to cheer you up. It may be good intentions on their part but it's actually the absolute worst thing for them to do. I know those panic attacks of just stepping out to the yard and so many here know them too. You're not alone here on this site and you can cry all you want to.

40 minutes ago, Sheilz said:

My question is at what stage of this journey does someone look for grief support groups?  I've looked online & there are a couple around that meet weekly.  I'm not ready to leave the house for necessary things yet, but wondered if a support group would be my first solo event.  I'm desperately trying to keep it together.  I just want one more hug from him.

I did the very same thing...thought a grief support group was the answer around week two. There was an online one that I found and was already to Zoom with them and then bailed out one minute before it started. I wasn't ready and thankfully recognized that. How on earth was I ready to discuss my partner's passing with strangers in a webchat when I still wasn't even ready to accept the truth he was gone!! 

A few weeks later, I had my first session with a grief therapist. She calmed me and reassured me that I did the right thing. She doesn't recommend grief support groups for at least three months or more because we need that time to do a lot of processing of the loss. I think we need to come to grips with what happened and gain a bit of footing before we surround ourselves with the various personalities in local support groups. 

• Like 4

• Members
37 minutes ago, DWS said:

My question is at what stage of this journey does someone look for grief support groups?  I've looked online & there are a couple around that meet weekly.

I can't say when the right time is. I started going to a grief support group two months after Chris passed away. It probably would have happened sooner but my son and I were busy going to Florida and bringing our uncle up here. Unfortunately, that group only meets once a month and I knew I needed more frequent help. In January, I was lucky (blessed??) enough to find this board. I would say that it's doing the most towards helping me on my grief journey. I still attend the other group once a month.

To sum it all up, the members on this board will help you with whatever you may not be getting through any support groups. Using both would be the best option when you're ready.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sheilz said:

My question is at what stage of this journey does someone look for grief support groups?

That is a question you could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers, because it's your timeline, your journey, and up to you.  But two weeks does seem a bit early. I got a grief counselor very early on and discovered something...just because someone hangs their plaque on the wall does NOT make them a "grief counselor" and especially not necessarily a GOOD one! I fired him early on. It started when he loaned me a book and the opening sentence was "I took my wedding band off."  WHAT?!!  It clearly showed he didn't get it..  PLUS he fed me the "If my wife died, I'd have to move on...." What the?!  (No, they actually divorced..)  I was lucky to get an on-line grief counselor through my other forum, and she was amazing!  They didn't have a grief support group here in town until I started one, years later.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer

@Gator M said "I'd have rather done nothing with Ann than anything without her. We ENJOYED just being together. You can't replace that. NOR do I want to." 

This is exactly how Vickie and I were. Many can never understand this. Even the friend who took to Vickie when we first met I know doesn't get it. I know she took her lose hard. She is still here for me and helps in every way she can. She is always busy and I ask her how she does it and she says she is just doing what God put her here for. Yet she can't handle me talking about losing Vickie. She wants me to get help with the grieving. I told her about this group and she oddly questioned how talking with a bunch of people wallowing in their grief can help. I kept my mouth shut because it seems to me there's no difference in a live grief group or a so called counselor then here with the exception of being face to face. I breakdown at some point every day still and I like many here do not think that would work for me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Members
WithoutHer
14 minutes ago, Gator M said:

Could your friend have eyes on you?  

No no way. She has her hands full without dealing with me.

It's been said by many here that get it grief is a giant hole left by the loss of a true loved one. It's definitely a hole not understood unless experienced.

I have no idea what to do with myself without her but I'm not in a hurry to go. I know Vickie wouldn't even want me to think that way. She loved life and would want me to continue even though as I've said before if she is watching over me she knows I'm having a very difficult time without her.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
4 hours ago, DWS said:

A few weeks later, I had my first session with a grief therapist.

I've looked for grief therapists in my area.  I honestly would love one that was by phone or zoom, etc. because I can't fathom leaving the house.  I dread the time that I need to do in-person paperwork, stores, etc.  I even contacted my Primary Doctor for advice through the portal.  There is a Therapist shortage around here.  (figures, right?)  There are long long waiting lists to see one.  So they now have "temporary" therapists.  You can only have up to 6-8 sessions total.  Then they dump you or try to find someone else to finish the job.  I am signed up to see one but the closest appt is in 5 weeks.  Even the temporary therapists are hard to get.  Plus she is not a grief therapist.  So who knows.  

Today has been just terrible.  I almost seem to be going backwards.  I don't have family near by & my friend wants me to start going out already.  She's a single woman & has been for about 20 years so she sees me as a potential "run around" friend up for anything.  I'm never ever going to be that but it's so intimidating to constantly tell her I'm not up to it because I don't want to offend my only friend.  I'm sure I will need her at some point.  However, she has not offered to help me in any other way except getting out of the house.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
4 hours ago, RichS said:

I was lucky (blessed??) enough to find this board. I would say that it's doing the most towards helping me on my grief journey.

I agree with you.  So far it's the only place or solace I have found.  No one understands & I'm sure at one point I wouldn't have understood either.  So I try not to take things personally but that's hard too.  

• Like 2

• Members
On 4/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, Gator M said:

I'd have rather done nothing with Ann than anything without her.    We ENJOYED just being together.   You can't replace that. NOR do I want to.  

This is the toughest part.  I don't want to even live without Brian because we enjoyed just being together.  We were simply content together.  I will never replace it because I don't ever want to.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
14 minutes ago, WithoutHer said:

I have no idea what to do with myself without her but I'm not in a hurry to go.

Wish I felt the same.  I feel that Brian would be happier if I joined him & were together again.  I keep seeing his smiling face when he turns & seems me coming.  But instead I try to get out of bed in the morning & eat something during the day while I wait for the night to come so I can be done with another day.  Just another day.  

• Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer

@SheilzI understand and feel the same way about every day and night. It's been just over 3 months for me and I had a stroke 6 weeks after Vickie passed yet I know she would want me to continue. I can feel that even in all my grieving she would be very upset with me if I just gave up. I don't have a clue who I am without her but I know she would be telling me to take care of myself better then I am. I have a ways to go to accomplish that.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
39 minutes ago, WithoutHer said:

he loved life and would want me to continue even though as I've said before if she is watching over me she knows I'm having a very difficult time without her.

I often think the same way. Chris would want my son and I to go on living our lives. Like many of you, I pray that God give me strength to at least go through the motions each day; and sometimes a little better than that.  I sometimes think of Chris and my other deceased relatives and friends praying for us. Hope their knees aren't getting too sore in heaven. :)  I know they worry about us.

• Like 1

• Members

My mother had a strong faith and I envied how much comfort it have her.

People of faith are trying to help because it really helps them,I don't resent them because it is unavailable to me,they mean well.

I fully understand the urge to follow my wife. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
17 hours ago, DWS said:

I hope your friend comes around to the reality of your pain because it can be exhausting holding back tears.

I would not hold back the tears.  Your friend can stick around or not but it's way too hard to hold them in. I've cried driving (and had to pull over), I've cried in the grocery store, I've cried in front of my grown kids (friends all ditched me immediately), I've cried in the shuttle on my way from my auto repair.  It's okay.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I guess for me it's a question of when or where. I know crying (esp even in today's society, men more so) makes people very uncomfortable and it's awkward so I almost never cried in front of someone...there were a few times in public early on where it would hit me and it was all I could do to either hold it in or quickly find someplace away to let it out.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

You are right men crying in public is not looked at well by most people. I was raised to suck it up and don't show your pain to others. I think that hinders us as functioning people now. I am sorry I raised my son's with the same attitude. It has made sharing their pain harder, their mother was the soft heart in our family and when we spoke about what she wanted me to do for them. The only thing she made me promise was to be patient, and I am going to my best even though it is does not come naturally.

As a side note if my contributions seem off time I am having trouble navigating the site

• Like 2

• Moderators

I guess for me it's not really a question of sucking it up but that my grief is a private matter; maybe that's part of why I didn't care for the grief group thing. I'm not into breaking down in front of people but especially people I don't even really know. 

• Sad 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I'm not into breaking down in front of people but especially people I don't even really know. 

Hey the up side to having been through this is I don't have to see any of those people again...it was out of town for working, doctors, car repair, etc. ;)

• Moderators

Sure Kay and PS I'm not saying it's right or wrong in the least, it's simply what works for me :) 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Got ya...I was really talking more about the crying part. I get wanting/needing to discuss. Early on I went to a grief counselor and talked about it a lot, I needed to unload, and broke down more than once, but with one person, and someone who was not only a grief counselor but also had lost someone and "got it." That was huge.

• Like 3

• Members
WithoutHer

Having read all the various reactions here to the tears, when appropriate or not, men crying being weakness, I just have to throw my own pain and two cents in. I going through this all alone and am my own lonely person but here it is.

I could care less where I am or who I am talking to. If anything at all causes the subject of  Vickie to come up I'm going to share my loss and the pain of it with them. I can quickly tell if they are receptive to listening. During my two weeks in the two hospitals this occurred often with all the staff. Some I could tell right off the bat couldn't do it. Fortunately especially the nurses and therapists were receptive and understanding and for that I was grateful. Some had their own loved lost and were helpful in sharing their experience and advice.

I have no intention of hiding my loss if someone triggers it in conversation and never will. If they can't deal with it that's their problem and not mine. I will just avoid it with them in the future. Which sadly is something I now have to do with my friend that cared so much for Vickie and I both. It's a great disappointment she is unable to allow me to share these feelings with her. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

I was really talking more about the crying part.

It could be it's different for men than women, but I couldn't have stopped it if I'd wanted to.

But then, I never did care much what others think of me. ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members
4 hours ago, Gator M said:

What I'm going through now sux...I can do things that MUST be done but I'm not doing anything I don't have to.

It's been 4.5 months and I'm getting worse.

You're right.  This sux.  I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.  And I'm so sorry you feel like you're getting worse.  

I thought for a split second about going to a cookout this weekend but the thought of driving there alone, walking in there alone is just something I can't do yet.  We use to give each other the "eye" when it was time to leave.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I have been told I need to see someone. I am told this when friends and family are sick of hearing it and don’t know how to help me.   Makes me not want to say anything.  It’s a double edge sword they want to be there for you yet they want you fixed quick because they don’t know what to say. I am a private person.  Have been coming here since searching for answers. What I had with my husband most people wish for. My best friend my everything.  I miss him.  I am lonely. Lost with out him.  We did mostly everything together. He passed from COVID. Underlying issues brought to surface from COVID.  He went into the hospital and he didn’t come out. He died alone until he was on his last breaths then he whole family was able to suit up and see him, unresponsive moments from death.  At the beginning of the week he was doing better than went from 0-10 This happened 6 days before Christmas 2021.  I don’t know when I stopped crying daily multiple times a day.  It just happened.  I was told we really don’t stop crying but that our tears just dry up. I have been in and out of the stages of grief and I know I will continue.   I feel guilty for hoping that I will meet someone to share life with.  I am lonely. At the same time I don’t want to take on another persons baggage.  I am in my fifties and I like to go, do things be active.  I know I will never have what I had but I have hope that I could at least have someone to share this journey with and maybe it could be something great or wonderful.  It was always known if one of us passed away the other was too move on.  Life is for living and he wouldn’t want me sad and miserable all the time. He would want me happy and to live my best life.  His passing was quick and unexpected.  You think when you are going into the hospital you are going to get better never did I think he would not return home

thank you all for sharing it’s not easy and unless you are in this you really can’t relate   It’s not something you can fully understand nor do our brains ever want too

• Hugs 3