Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

"For now"

DWS

• Members

Thank you so much for this. You write beautifully. I sometimes do not know how to even breathe for the next five minutes. It is that crushing, sitting like an elephant on my chest. Avoiding doctors, even if I die then. Just cannot go there... thanks for all your contributions. Isn't it strange to know that somewhere at the other end of the world someone feels something similar? For me, it is helpful. And oh, how I wish we had other reasons to meet here... like cats or recipes or something. At the moment, it doesn't feel like a life to me, barely existing or surviving. And I try to take it day by day as well. That's all we can do, right?

Wishing you a beautiful autumn day.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Summersun said:

And oh, how I wish we had other reasons to meet here... like cats or recipes or something.

https://forums.grieving.com/forum/100-chit-chat-coffee-hour/

Feel free to start up a conversation about something other than grief! God knows we all need a break from it here and there.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DWS said:

I said to myself that things are this way "for now".

I am so sorry you didn't have your Tom to go with you...it's at these times we keenly feel it.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@DWS

Don, 

I really like your use of "For now".  It recognizes the reality of today but leaves open the possibility of something better in the future. 

Thanks for sharing.

Gail

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, Kevin O said:

He had COPD so it wasn't like we had a fast-paced exiting life, but we did something that made the weekend fly by. So I will try to accept that FOR NOW I am still figuring it out. Or trying to figure it out

@DWS @Kevin O my dear departed husband also had COPD and several other health issues, but the weekend always flew for me too. It was mostly errands, but you are so right that time with your love was never enough, never enough time with them, no matter how trivial the activity.

I so appreciate “I will accept FOR NOW I am…trying to figure it out.” Such a helpful concept when the awful thoughts sneak up on you. Thanks, Don. Thanks, Kevin <hugs> Peace, BohoKat 

• Like 2

• Members

Don!

How are you doing? I wasn't on the forum much in the summer. The kids came every weekend which was helpful. 

I work hard on accepting the way things are in the present moment. I'm I not doing as well with that since Ted died. Eckhart Tolle is one of my favourite spiritual teachers. Have you read 'The Power of Now'? All we have is the present moment.

I very often forget to be present now that Ted has left this physical life. I used to be so good at it when he was here. He gave me the freedom to just 'be'. I love your 'for now' phrase because it is so simple. I usually try to remind myself by saying the I accept what 'is' in this moment. 'For now' is something I will use to remind myself in moments of overwhelm.

Love to you brother,

Lin

I'm glad that your health scare didn't amount to anything big. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PLin said:

Have you read 'The Power of Now'? All we have is the present moment.

Yes!

• Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, PLin said:

Don!

How are you doing? I wasn't on the forum much in the summer. The kids came every weekend which was helpful. 

I work hard on accepting the way things are in the present moment. I'm I not doing as well with that since Ted died. Eckhart Tolle is one of my favourite spiritual teachers. Have you read 'The Power of Now'? All we have is the present moment.

I very often forget to be present now that Ted has left this physical life. I used to be so good at it when he was here. He gave me the freedom to just 'be'. I love your 'for now' phrase because it is so simple. I usually try to remind myself by saying the I accept what 'is' in this moment. 'For now' is something I will use to remind myself in moments of overwhelm.

Hi Lin....nice to see your message. So glad to hear your kids knew that they needed to be with you during summer weekends. 

I've not read the book "The Power of Now" but I'm a bit familiar with the concept. I think, for us grievers, it might be something to practice later on in our grief...when our minds have done its processing of the loss and we really are accepting of the present moment. I know for myself, I still question the present moment...or at least, question why my present is this way. I guess in those moments of sheer sorrow and emptiness, telling myself "for now" allows me to acknowledge Tom's absence and the heavy grief with the notion that down the road, things will get lighter.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

This all reminds me of a Harry Connick Jr song:

Nothing lasts forever
So I guess I better
Take you
Forever
For now 

I think in our case it's both: we have our loves forever (directly in the future when we're with them again) and also for now (in our hearts).

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, widower2 said:

we have our loves forever (directly in the future when we're with them again) and also for now (in our hearts).

And when you think about it, that's a lot...and it says much to the power of our strength that we draw from it and hold it together all these years...in my situation 17 going on may be 23 more!  Ugh, that's a lot of time ahead that I don't look forward to...back to today...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, HisPumpkin said:

I just can’t bring myself to say “goodbye” to D

Mine is similar, "See you later."  For now works too!

• Hugs 1

• Members

@HisPumpkin I understand what your going through.   This is the hardest thing I have ever been through.   But your right we will get to see our spouses again.  And oh what a wonderful day that will be.  That's the only thing that keeps me going.  I have accepted him being in heave because I will be there too one day soon.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, gns247 said:

I lost my 44-year-old husband, Greg, to lung cancer five weeks ago this Wednesday

I am so sorry, so young to go through this and to not have family/friends around makes it all the harder.  I'm glad you have one person.  All of our friends disappeared overnight, and my family didn't have a clue what I was going through, it was very tough.  My church was helpful, the counselor I tried was the only one in town and should have stuck to drug/alcohol counseling, he definitely wasn't a grief counselor as he pictured himself to be.  There were no grief support groups here, I started one years later.

Taking one day at a time was something that helped me tremendously!  I still do it 17 years later.  Yes, we do understand each other here, it's very helpful, I found a grief site similar to this one 2-3 weeks after he died and that literally saved me!  I want to welcome you here and hope you will continue to come here to read and post, it helps us process our grief and sometimes we just need to vent/scream, and that's okay too..

Grief Process

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs)))  Praying for you today.

• Like 2

• Members

Thank you so much for this.  I had a really hard day all day yesterday and this morning seems hard already.  This was very nice to read and remind me of some small things that I had already tried to do but they all seem to go out the window at times and others that I hadn't thought of at this stage.  I really appreciate you taking the time to reach out to me and welcome me.  I have been trying so hard to find supports groups where I live and there doesn't seem to be any.  I have called the hotlines available to me a couple of times but they seem very limited in what they told me and kept telling me to go somewhere else.  The hospital involved also has no grief counselling there and the social worker seems to think that it's too acute a stage of grief that I am in and wouldn't benefit from counselling right now and she wants to wait until next year.  I feel like I need to talk as talking makes you accept what has happened and get your feelings out which can be a relief of sorts to unburden.  I found this place as I want to be surrounded with people who know what it's like.  One day at a time is what I am doing, although the future does pop into my head even though I don't want it to.  It's so very hard and raw still.  Being alone is so daunting.  Thanks again and I will be looking here and posting here more I am sure.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

@gns247 I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I know what your going through,  just as we all on this forum do.  It's the hardest thing that I have ever been through.   But I make it.  I will be praying for you. 

• Like 2

• Members

Thanks for saying that and for praying for me.  It means a lot to me to know you are all there and I can talk about stuff and people understand.  It is the hardest thing I will ever go through and it's hard to feel like I will/can get through it right now, especially all by myself, but I take some comfort in hearing that you did and others do too.  It's just so hard.  Things keep happening around the house that I can't do and Greg would always do.  Today the car battery is flat and I didn't even know how to open the bonnet of the car let alone charge the battery.  It's these things that really make it obvious that he's not here to do that stuff or help me anymore and it's so heart breaking to me.

• Hugs 2

• Members

I understand how that is.  I'm lucky my husband taught me alot of different things.  And if I need help my father in law is close by.  I have being alone.

• Like 1

• Members

I don't drive so even though I did always pay attention to a lot of the things he was doing, its totally different when he's not here.  I'm so scared I'm going to do something to his car or something.  It's his pride and joy.  It's hard not having anyone near me I can ask for help either.  

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you and I feel for everyone's losses here too.  That's interesting to hear you have heard the same thing about counselling.  I'm not even sure if anyone could help but I think talk is therapy and you really just want someone to listen and this is the best form as everyone can actually empathise with each other.  It's just not real time or face to face if that makes any difference.  I find it helpful to talk about Greg too not just how I am feeling without him.  It was such a traumatic experience to lose him like that as well so have to deal with trauma and grief.  No, nobody can say or do anything to take the pain away. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
13 hours ago, gns247 said:

I have called the hotlines available to me a couple of times but they seem very limited in what they told me and kept telling me to go somewhere else.  The hospital involved also has no grief counselling there and the social worker seems to think that it's too acute a stage of grief that I am in and wouldn't benefit from counselling right now and she wants to wait until next year. 

I respectfully disagree with their assessment.  You may want to check your ins. and see if it'll cover some, also I think it's CASA that charges income based counseling, we got it for my daughter years ago, only $25/month, and we all chipped in to cover it.  You also could try https://www.griefshare.org/ for a group in your area.  I have become friends with the adm./counselor from my other forum over the last 17 years and she states differently, there is no one size fits all, it's what the person themselves is comfortable with.  And I know someone who is seven years out and still sees a counselor.

8 hours ago, gns247 said:

It's just not real time or face to face if that makes any difference.

Zoom meetings are a consideration too.  More of them since Covid.

8 hours ago, gns247 said:

It was such a traumatic experience to lose him like that as well so have to deal with trauma and grief.

And no one tells you just how you're supposed to deal with this without counseling?  Yes, it is traumatic.  And to those haunted by images, there are these considerations to do with a licensed therapist:
EFT
EFT in Grief
EMDR

There was someone in our group who had done them but I forget who, maybe they will see this and respond.

• Like 4

• Members

Thanks again for all the info.  I disagree too.  I was thinking about it again last night and I've said to her and the other social worker involved that I feel I need help now in this time not in a couple months, so I will have to ring her and tell her this and see what she can organise.  I'm in Australia and I have came across Griefshare.org before but unfortunately it doesn't have any Australian groups there.  I have looked with all that I have available to me to find a group but there is nothing near me.  I had not heard of the other techniques there so thanks for that, they sound very interesting also.  I really appreciate your time in responding to me.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I am so sorry there's nothing in Australia.  Keep coming here, posting and reading.  (((hugs)))

• Like 3

• Moderators

Ahh yes, I knew someone from Tasmania from my loss of pet section, they had no help for animals either, no rescues, nothing, animals ran loose and got killed.  Very sad.  One neighbor shoots a dog, noone does anything about it...hard place to be a dog lover. :(

Oh how I hope and pray with you that the cancer council will have some help for you.  My heart goes out to you!  Let us know, okay?:wub:

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Thanks KayC.  I will let you know.  That's sad to hear that about that person's experience with pets here.  I personally have not had anything bad happen with my animals but just like this situation, you don't really know until it happens to you and you need the support/help and it's not there.  It's rather alarming to me.  I'm trying my best in the hardest situation.  My friend keeps in constant contact with me, usually emails and calls whenever she can.  It's really touching and supportive of her.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I am so sorry @gns247.  Consider this a cyber hug from me to you.  No one ever comes here, if I'm lucky my son once every year or two.  But it's different when you have a fresh loss, you need someone there with you.  (((hugs)))

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

About the only place I get a hug is at church.  And for a while even that was out with Covid, we had to sit with our families (I'm the only one in it now).

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I'm glad you have your cats, I know it's not the same as having him, but it helps, plus they can be quite entertaining at that age.  Even when no one is online, it helps coming here, we know people have been here and will be here and we're not totally alone.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Wow, I'm so sorry, I would expect it to be emotional, the subject at hand is, but I would think you'd talk about expectations or give you an assignment, something.  I met with mine weekly, 1 1/2 months in between seems excessive.  It seem nothing is the same after Covid as before. :(  I'm sorry.  Maybe look for another counselor?  Anyone's thoughts on this?
Have you tried griefshare?

• Like 3

• Members
6 hours ago, gns247 said:

I'm not sure what to expect from this but that's all we did and all I expected to do on the first day.  I've heard some mixed responses from people who have had counselling.

That first counselling session is a difficult and awkward one. In most cases, you're both complete strangers to one another and you're the one opening and introducing not only your loss but your world to this person who you kinda hope will be a saviour....someone to help rescue you from such despair and devastation. I imagine most counsellors are fully aware of this and that's why they let their patient get it all out while they listen and basically size us up on that first visit. I've always had a big interest in psychology and therapy practice so when I had my first session with my grief therapist, I was looking for certain criteria from her....the biggest for me was making sure this was someone who had been through their own experience of grief and loss. Towards the end of the visit, I loved how she just casually mentioned her husband who had died 15 years earlier which was a good way to do it because it didn't take the focus off my loss while also giving me the reassurance that I wanted. Hopefully, you attained some sort of warm signal from your counsellor that she is worth visiting again.

The long wait for your next appointment is a real shame. I'm guessing that is due to Christmas holidays interfering with her schedule....maybe? Unfortunately, it's at Christmas when we need them the most!! Be assured that there are many of us here who hopefully can be there for you over this time. Big hugs to you after such an emotional day. Endless crying moments like those are exhausting so hopefully you got some much needed sleep. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, gns247 said:

I had my first counselling session yesterday.  It was awful.  Of course I had to replay the events to her (which I can't seem to stop doing every day anyway) but it was so painful.  I cried so much.  I'm not sure what to expect from this but that's all we did and all I expected to do on the first day.  I've heard some mixed responses from people who have had counselling.  I have to wait five weeks for an other appointment.  It's so far away.  Hope everyone has been as well as they can. 😊

Does "awful" mean you thought the counselor was bad or awful as in hard because of the subject matter? My sessions were hard to say the least but good in that I was able to talk to someone and unload when I really had no one. I hope it's the latter. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

hi widower2, I meant awful as in it was hard to talk about what happened.  I'm hoping that it helps to talk to her as we progress too.  Thanks for your input and replying.  

• Like 2

• Members

hi DWS, I think everything you just said is exactly right.  I was expecting it to be just me talking and her listening especially the first session.  Thanks for reminding me to ask if she has had her own bereavement because for me that is important and what I was looking for when I found this forum.  I had talked to a grief educator twice previously to this and I chose her as she had had her own bereavement so I knew she could relate.  I will have to ask her next time we speak.  Yes, Christmas is mucking the timing up.  She also has to come from another town to mine and only works twice a week also, so many factors have impacted the timing, though it is a long wait.  I think she is going to try and do a phone one in between but not 100%.  This time of year is when we need a lot of help though.  Grief doesn't have a schedule but it is the nature of the end of the year I guess.  KayC, it has taken me weeks and weeks to find this counsellor and get this appointment,  Very hard for me to find one that I don't have to pay for and have rang 9 or 10 organisations and have had to do it all  myself and really push for this, so it's not very easy to find another one.  I wanted an in-person appointment which made it harder.  covid has definitely changed a lot of the places to go only for phone and Zoom.  It is not ideal, especially where I live with limited services already.  Thanks so much for reaching out both of you.  I will be checking back in a lot over this time I feel.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

I'm sorry it was so hard to get a counselor, and I hope and pray after the holidays it'll settle into a better schedule.  I had $120 in the bank when George died, I do remember paying out of pocket for my counselor when he died, it was so hard.  Was supposed to get life ins $ from our bank when he died but it never happened, can't remember what BS they told me, he was a member and entitled to it...

• Hugs 1