Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Just lost the love of my life

Ann A

• Members
My husband Ron passed on Friday and the tremendous pain and emptiness is unbearable.  He was my compass, my partner in all things.  What do we do when the person who would be your greatest comfort is the one who is gone?  I just want to curl up in his arms and have him tell me it will be ok.

I thought I would be ready; we knew for nine years that he would have a limited amount of time left when he was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis in Jan of 2013.  We were so fortunate to receive the gift of a bilateral lung transplant in October of that year and were told to expect maybe five years at best.  We always expected the dreaded rejected or kidney failure from the medications to take him.  He was able to avoid rejection and keep from complete kidney failure, but his heart gave out.  It was so fast, I took him to the ER on Saturday, on Monday we thought he was improving and on Friday morning he was gone.  Never a chance to say goodby.  Plenty of I love you but no goodby, no thank you for making me a better person and pushing me to do things I never thought I could do.

I just don't know how to get though one more day without him let alone a year or a decade...

• Members

I am so sorry, Dear Ann.  I lost my husband around 4 weeks ago too. Maybe we can help each other to overcome this disaster of the life.

I feel fear. And I am angry.

How are you?

You said you missed him a lot. These times, I just think that he is in a better place now. He is healthy and happy. He can see me and help me. The only difference is that I cannot see him anymore.

• Members

Ann, I know how a sudden loss feels. I got 3 months with my wife after being diagnosed. I have no idea what to do either. Much less the future. She was my everything.

• Members

Ann, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how overwhelming the pain is. I lost my partner of 30 years to metastatic breast cancer about a month ago. It was a very aggressive form of cancer. We only had 2 months from diagnosis to her passing. 

I feel like we didn't really have a chance to say goodbye either. She was in such denial about the seriousness of her disease. She just kept saying she was going to fight and didn't want to hear anything else.

I don't know how to get through this either. She was the one who always made everything better. I'm trying to take everything in very small steps. Minute by minute sometimes. If you think chatting with me would help do reach out. Maybe we can help each other.

Important Information

This site uses cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. and uses these terms of services Terms of Use.