• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DMB

• KayC

• Gail 8588

• annie123

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

What a huge and yet wonderful undertaking!  Of this one thing I'm sure, he is smiling upon you for doing this!

• Like 2
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

Thank you guys.  I had to make a spreadsheet. LOL.  I started painting cabinets last night.  It's raining today so I get the night off.

• Like 4

• Members

Those new cottages look amazing, a night and day difference from the old ones. Nice.

• Like 2

• Moderators

You're inspiring!  Not that I want to take something like that on.  

• Like 1

• Members

I hope to have electricity soon, and plumbing will be next.  Would love to have both done before May 24 (his 1st Yr.) My son took down the repaired and painted cabinets.  He also took a generator as he wanted to see the place with the lights on!

4.3 Beach 1.JPG

4.3 Beach 2.JPEG

4.3 Beach 3.JPEG

• Like 2

• Members

Great job!!!  Being near the water is so therapeutic!!  May you relax and find peace there!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

Very nice, I like that high ceiling. It looks like a nice and cozy little place.

• Like 2

• Members

Well it's Friday and another weekend of work trying to get these cottages finished.  We still don't have water but getting closer.  I think.  First was hoping the end of May, then Father's Day, now it's almost the end of July.  You see where I'm going with this?  It feels like no where fast all while carrying this grief around.  BUT, just when you have no more patience, you discover you have no real talent for spackling and taping drywall, people are giving you orders instead of helping, you see this out your door:  A few moments of peace.   

Eagle on beach.jpg

• Like 3

• Members

This is where the Elk River meets the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.  I’m in PA just about an hour away.  The Jersey and DE ocean beach’s are 2 hours away and very busy.  In my old age I sort of prefer less busy.  My husband who never liked venturing more than 3 miles from home fell in love with the place.  He dreamed of retiring his business and just working for the owners of this property fixing everything back up.  They were very genuinely in shock the 1st time I went back there and informed them of his death.   So I feel we must finish and one day hopefully enjoy it.  

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

Amazing photo. I don't know that I have ever seen a bald eagle on the ground like that. Maybe he just caught a critter. 

At any rate it is a lovely sight to see. 

Gail 

• Like 2

• Moderators
19 hours ago, DMB said:

you see this out your door:  A few moments of peace. 

And you remember why you're doing this.

Beautiful, so serene.

• Like 1

• Members

Very nice picture DMB, I too have a place near the Elk river and Chesapeake.  It is in  Earleville, MD, we have been there for 26 years, such a peaceful place.  It was my husbands happy place. I haven't been back much, its so painful to be there without him.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Congrats on the toilet. That is a huge step forward!

You are doing great on getting this wonderful tribute to your hubby done.  I am sure he is happy seeing the family pull together to do this with you. 

Hugs

Gail

• Like 3

• Members

DMB, I am going to Maryland this weekend also.  Thursday is my husbands birthday, we were always there on his bday!!  It's the only place he wanted to be, so I will head there on Thursday night.  I have been crying non-stop lately, just thinking of being there without him on his special day.  I am so sad.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
17 hours ago, annie123 said:

DMB, I am going to Maryland this weekend also.  Thursday is my husbands birthday, we were always there on his bday!!  It's the only place he wanted to be, so I will head there on Thursday night.  I have been crying non-stop lately, just thinking of being there without him on his special day.  I am so sad.

Praying for you as you go...you'll be on my heart.  I can't think of a more honoring way to spend his birthday. :wub:

• Like 3

• Members

Husband's birthday is Jul 1st and I hope that will be the day we can christen this place he built.  I started making a headboard for the bed that's going down there.  My kids and I went down and  have unloaded the materials for the walls and ceiling into the cottage. My son will be doing that and finishing the plumbing.  Still a ways to go..................

I've been doing some retail therapy imaging where the few things I've purchased will go, and how the theme of iron and rope will look.

1953980103_4.2.22view.jpg.66339da00a94414b8141ecebb2ae8de0.jpg

4.2.22 Bay.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I hope that for you too...and so others can view it differently, I rotated it...

window.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I get really worked up doing this.  i hope that when it's done that feeling of overwhelming stress and the sadness that we aren't sharing this experience together will go away.

We got a wall and a ceiling up, I painted some block and lattice outside since it was a nice day out.  Still a ways to go.

This is actually pergo flooring on the wall.  It was free!  Today I ordered an orange life ring from an old cargo ship and it's going to hang on this wall.

Bay 4.30.jpg

Bay 4.30 2.jpg

• Like 4

• Members
Gail 8588

It is looking beautiful. I love the idea of the  orange life saver ring on the wall. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Such a beautiful way to honor him and continue with him...

• Like 3

• Members

We are having some nice weather.  I couldn't get down to the bay this past weekend. My son has been busy working and it's hard that I have to rely on him, but I will ask and even pay for more help if he would be honest with me and say he can or can't do things.  Anyway, the weekend wasn't a total loss.  I finished this dresser that I've been working on.  I have a lot of sand dust to clean up which I tried to do yesterday but I ended up watching tv on the couch all day.  Alone.  It was such a nice day, yet I just couldn't go out there and enjoy it.  I feel that's OK though, days of doing nothing are still OK too.  No rule book for this stuff!

Dresser.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

Thanks for sharing your “Mission” with us DMB😊

• Like 1

• Members

I felt absolutely anything I accomplished was a great victory.  It was so hard to focus and follow through on things that finishing any project was to be celebrated.  Five years in I still feel that way some of the time. 

Gail 

• Like 2

• Moderators

@DMB  It looks nice!  And it's okay to take a day and do nothing now and then.  I rarely do but if I need to, I would.  Applaud yourself for what you DO do!

• Members

We're plugging away but doesn't seem like it will be done by his birthday July 1.  I took that day off so I will share some more after that long weekend.  

6.18 Bay.jpg

6.18 Bay 3.JPG

6.18 Bay 2.jpg

• Like 3

• Members

You are making great progress!  You are also making new memories with all the construction you are doing. Cousins, in-laws, children, friends all working together to complete The Mission.

Your resolve to finish the cabin(s) is a huge display of love and devotion to your sweetie. Together you are all making his vision come true.  Enjoy the process as well as the finished cabin.

Gail

• Like 4

• Members
On 7/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, Gail 8588 said:

Amazing photo. I don't know that I have ever seen a bald eagle on the ground like that. Maybe he just caught a critter. 

At any rate it is a lovely sight to see. 

Gail 

It's a sign. He's Watchung you finishing his project and he's so happy. With and for you. It's an amazing thing to do. Keep his memory alive and have a place to relax and enjoy the fruits of y'alls labor.  He is so proud of you and his family. I can guarantee that. It's nice to be able to finish something he had started. I am proud of you for taking this on and although you've passed a cpl milestones it will happen in due time.  Best wishes. 

• Like 2