Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The Mission

DMB

• Moderators

I am impressed and amazed at all you've accomplished!  I hope you stand proud knowing he is impressed too!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DMB

• KayC

• Gail 8588

• annie123

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was such a nice day, I took 1/2 day vacation yesterday and went back down.  I cleaned up a bit from Saturday, put a coat of mildew/moisture resistant paint in the bathroom and I put primer on this wall that went up over the weekend.  I ordered countertop from Lowe's this morning.

6.20 Bay.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

We had a toast for his birthday.  Spent 2 nights down there.  Still like camping, bug spray constantly needed (for me anyway).  The water was nice the 1st day.  Survived my 1st thunderstorm that literally shook the place.  They had awesome fireworks display, and it was cool to watch them going off all around you. Water had a fishy smell to it after that storm but it was still nice.  It was mostly a break, but some work got done.  We unloaded 20 boxes of flooring from the owners warehouse.  My son texted that he went back down on the 4th and the front room is almost done.  Sinks are 99% ready, he just has to tightened things up on the bathroom one.  The kitchen one is missing the sprayer which frustrated him greatly.  One minute it's in the box with the faucet, the next minute it's lost. Shower works.  If can't figure out how to put the doors on I have shower rods and curtain in my amazon cart.  

My brother (the electrician) is coming the 13th. Waiting to hear from another friend who is a contractor.  I would like to see how much for him to do trim work and some exterior stuff.  My 28 year old could do it all, but I don't want him to.  He's tired and I think a little overwhelmed especially when everyone is coming in and looking around.  He likes to work when no one is around.  Having others doing some things will hopefully take that pressure away. 

Bay 7.1 2.jpg

Bay 7.1.jpg

• Like 3

• Members

It's looking great.

It is a wonderful focus for family and friends to "be there for you".  It's the house that love built. 

Gail 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Going down again on Wed.  with my brother.  Will post any further progress later this week.

Bay 7.8.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

Here's some lights/fan and there is running water in 2 sinks now.  I also put some wood stain on the wall pictured (gray) it sort of goes with the pergo wall and the flooring.

Next is putting up the shower doors.  I wasn't really given a kit, just pieces.  More caulking of seams, and trim hasn't started yet.  Still have the whole bedroom left too.  I can at least stay there now in my little roll away cot bed.  I put a piece of foam on it so it's not so hard.  I fold it up and put the cover over it and roll it out of the way each time.

7.13 Bay 2.jpg

7.13 bay 4.jpg

7.13 Bay.jpg

7.13 Bay 3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I was a little bit upset to post here lately.  My husband's sister and husband who have been a huge help to me are now catering to husband's other sister (also recently widowed) who just quit her job, sold the house, and drove 2K miles to her sister's.  For whatever reason, she doesn't want to see the cottage, visit her cousins, and she even declined an invite to my house.  Strange to me, but I've asked twice now and I'm done asking. Just like that, lost my help and losing respect for our relationship all because...........family.  I'm less upset now.

I still have my son who picked me up Sunday and we spent the day there.

8.14 Beach.jpg

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

We fiddled with the shower doors and couldn't figure it out.  I purchased a rod and curtain but don't you know even that didn't go well.  It sagged in the middle so it needs a ceiling support.  I took my frustration out with cleanser and cleaned up the entire area.  Will try again this weekend.

8.14 Beach 2.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm afraid what I know about construction fits into a thimble, but I sure sympathize with the familial situation.  I don't hear from my family unless they want something, quite honestly.

At least you still have your son with you!  Good luck this weekend.

• Like 2

• Members

Got the curtain up, but that's about all that got done.  I wonder if I can fit a twin size mattress in my car? :lol: Man it would be great if my back seats went down.  You know I'm going to try it anyway.  

Bay 8.20.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

Just in comparison, I found this in my computer files today.  This was the original ceiling.  I remember trying to talk my husband and son into saving some of it to incorporate into the new build, but no.  I did find a piece of the cottage under the new cottage so I brought that home and pretty sure a map will get hung on it.  Sorry it's up side down, I don't know how to fix that

Bay 7.JPG

• Like 2

• Members
April Ballou

@DMB to turn a photo, click on the photo, then click on crop, then you will see under the photo a circle.  Click on that circle and it will turn your photo.

• Like 1

• Members

Resurrecting this topic, I hope for the last time.   It's only been what 2 years?  As spring arrives my mind is going 100 mph getting ideas and things together to finish this.  I started a couple of projects at home since it's still a bit too cold to work down there.  Water doesn't get turned on until 15-May.  Anything we do next month I'll have to cart my own jugs and probably won't stay real long. 

I got a personalized 3 ring binder and made a scrap book of the timeline from demolition to present.  Some of the pictures I used are in this thread.  We (mainly my son) are almost done.  The back little bedroom has the ceiling and 1 wall up- 3 more walls and the flooring to go.  There's a back solid door in this room too that I bought a screen door for, would love to get that hung as well to let some light into the room.  Had this idea to also make a wainscotting for the back wall, give the small room a little definition instead of being all white with gray floor.  I asked my employer if it was OK to take some pallets from the warehouse, so I am currently ripping them apart for the free wood, filling in nail holes, and sanding them to be stained.  I am going to use the gray stain that's on the ceiling in the front room, the vintage blue stain that's on the dresser, and as I'm picking through the wood, some are light oakish in color so I will probably just clear coat those.

I had to go down to the cottage to pick up my sander for my project and found the pocket door to the bedroom won't move.  I have no idea what's wrong with it.  It worked when we left last fall.  Always something!!!!!  Really and truly hoping this is it. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
3 hours ago, DMB said:

Resurrecting this topic, I hope for the last time.   It's only been what 2 years?  As spring arrives my mind is going 100 mph getting ideas and things together to finish this.  I started a couple of projects at home since it's still a bit too cold to work down there.  Water doesn't get turned on until 15-May.  Anything we do next month I'll have to cart my own jugs and probably won't stay real long. 

I got a personalized 3 ring binder and made a scrap book of the timeline from demolition to present.  Some of the pictures I used are in this thread.  We (mainly my son) are almost done.  The back little bedroom has the ceiling and 1 wall up- 3 more walls and the flooring to go.  There's a back solid door in this room too that I bought a screen door for, would love to get that hung as well to let some light into the room.  Had this idea to also make a wainscotting for the back wall, give the small room a little definition instead of being all white with gray floor.  I asked my employer if it was OK to take some pallets from the warehouse, so I am currently ripping them apart for the free wood, filling in nail holes, and sanding them to be stained.  I am going to use the gray stain that's on the ceiling in the front room, the vintage blue stain that's on the dresser, and as I'm picking through the wood, some are light oakish in color so I will probably just clear coat those.

I had to go down to the cottage to pick up my sander for my project and found the pocket door to the bedroom won't move.  I have no idea what's wrong with it.  It worked when we left last fall.  Always something!!!!!  Really and truly hoping this is it. 

I love reading your posts on the progress of your place. I'm also hoping to go up north in a few weeks but only for the day since they won't turn on the water until about the middle of May. Like you said, there's always something to do, I might get someone to put in laminate flooring if I can get a good price. I know how to do it but my body can't handle it. Good luck on your renovation DMB, hopefully you'll be ready to enjoy it for the summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I'd love laminate flooring, Sparky!  This carpet has seen better days and sure hard to keep clean with winter and a puppy and a wood stove.

@DMB Continue to update us on the progress of your place!  I can't do what you are doing but I sure admire those who can!

• Like 2

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I'd love laminate flooring, Sparky!  This carpet has seen better days and sure hard to keep clean with winter and a puppy and a wood stove.

@DMB Continue to update us on the progress of your place!  I can't do what you are doing but I sure admire those who can!

My place up north is also a park model home with big deck and added sun room.  I hate the  carpet too, trying to keep it clean is a pain, especially with a female dog. The living room and bedrooms are carpeted and the kitchen area is not. The crap that comes out when I vacuum and steam clean that carpet is crazy. The dog doesn't come in any more, she stays in the added room. Funny, she only makes a mess on the carpet, otherwise she goes outside.

• Like 3

• Moderators

My son put in a marble floor in my kitchen!  I love it, easy to clean, looks beautiful, but if you drop anything on it, it's toast!

Kodie is with me all the time, my little companion, where I am, he is.

• Like 2

• Members

We haven't been back down to the cottage yet, but I am still working on my pallett wood wainscotting idea.

Pallet wood.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

Sanded a dozen boards on Saturday and then figured out the stain I bought isn't right.  So went back in my records/emails from last year and found the Lowe's order of what it was since I have no idea where the empty cans got to.  Another lesson learned.  Not all Minwax (even if you know the color name) is the same!!  I hope I just ordered the correct ones this time.

My daughter is in her friend's wedding this Friday and I am keeping her dog.  She's a rescue and doesn't like other dogs, or many people.  I watched her one night before so confident I can do two!  It's also nice that work will allow me to work from home and I won't have to use PTO time.
Probably won't be another update til May.  Thanks! 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Thank you for sharing, @DMB!  I hope you got the right stain this time and I'm sure your time with your granddoggy will be fun for both of you!  I miss my granddoggy, I had him for 3 1/2 years while my son was working in NY and in his first year of college, he's been gone a few years now, buried in my back yard.  The sweetest dog, totally guileless!

Good luck with your project!

Here he is, he was crippled, always smiling, my son had him on a cart at Home Depot!

Skye at Home Depot2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
I miss you so much

Amazing and so inspiring your idea!!! Really love what you've done!

• Like 1

• Members

My son and I went down to the cottage on Saturday.  In the rain.  The water valve under the cottage was busted, broken.  It had frozen apparently.  We spent more time in the store getting parts then doing anything.  It wasn't a total loss though, the water is now working, and he bought me dinner on the way home.  Totally overwhelmed with what's left to do.  I need a carpenter.  Maybe I'll have pics and a better update next time I go. /sigh

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

You are doing amazing, DMB, and I applaud you for your efforts, I know I couldn't do all that you've done!  You have amazing drive as well as skills!

• Like 2

• Members

DMB, 

I empathize with you.  I have a cabin in the woods that has been in the family since the 1950s. My husband's father built it by hand with second hand materials he could get for free or really cheap.  When built, 1951 - 1953 there was no running water in it, the exterior walls were sort of a pressed cardboard sort of material that was coated with tar or such and then sand and then painted with a thick deck paint. A hodge podge of windows that were being discarded from buildings that were being torn down or upgraded were installed over the next decade.  A bathroom and kitchen were put in in the 1960s. My husband and his friends built a stone fireplace in 1969, that for several years didn't draw correctly and would fill the cabin with smoke. Also if rain came from a certain direction it would flood into the cabin around the fireplace. The fireplace issues were all addressed in one way or another in the early 1970s.   A potable water well was also put in in the 1970s, replacing the pumped lake water to the bathroom and kitchen. 

Inspite of all these shortcomings, the cabin has been a place of joy, love, laughter and so many happy memories.  My husband and his siblings spent most every summer there and lots of weekends growing up.  My kids also spent a large portion of their childhood swimming, boating, fishing, stargazing and generally being immersed in nature there. 

My eldest son is getting married there on May 27. 

I have been working at the cabin almost every weekend for the past few months trying to make it presentable for a wedding venue. 

I have had 3 old dilapidated paddle boats (that haven't been used in a couple of decades) hauled off. I have had dead trees cut and hauled away. I had a foundation company come out and raise one corner of the house 4 inches, as it has been sinking for years. It was a bit like an amusement fun house with one corner of the house sunk down.  Of course with that much sinking, doors didn't open or shut properly - or at all,  windows the same.  Now that the corner is raised, some of them are working again. (Really all the windows need to be replaced, but I am not going to get to that before the wedding.)  I had the driveway fixed as it was very rutted from erosion, and probably caused much of the foundation problems.

Cleaning out junk that has accumulated over decades, shoving steelwool in the many squirrel entrances to the cabin, replacing an ancient refrigerator.  It is endless what needs to be done. 

This past weekend I pulled a bunch of weeds from the swimming area. (They are not really weeds, they are appropriate submerged aquatic vegetation, but they feel yucky on your legs as you swim from shore out to the middle of the lake. I only cleared about a 5 foot swimming lane.  Not a big beach area.) I also picked up probably 1000 big pine cones and hauled them out in the woods. My fingers are shredded as the first day I didn't wear gloves. My bad.  I called the game commission on Saturday to have a nuisance alligator removed, as he spent too much time keeping me company as I cleared out the swimming area. 

I'll be back down next weekend for one more work weekend before the wedding. 

Gail 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

P.S.  There was a bear at my cabin this weekend. Florida black bears are very shy, non-aggressive. Only saw him once, but there were a lot of bear tracks. 

Gail

• Like 2

• Moderators

Wow, Gail, that is tremendous work and expense! Reminds me of taking care of this place, 46 year old mobile home w/o foundation, and garage built on dirt back in 62, so 61 years old, need back of it replaced and shop floor needs propped up, etc, entire building needs put on bricks, supposed to have contractor do it before Covid and wood prices went up 8 x as much, couldn't afford to proceed with those prices, also need to clean out garage before he can do the work and with these hands, I can't. Trying to get some Mormon missionaries to help when he does it and will order a dumpster here.  Not sure I'm up to all this, I feel old and tired.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Oh wow Gail 🙂  That is a labor of love and so special your son has chosen to marry there.  I hope all goes well and that it's yet another special memory at the cabin. Amazing!!!

My son stopped in last night.  Looking for one of his father's tools, asking me if I know where it is.  I didn't know to laugh hysterically or cry.  One day I should just organize this stuff and store it in his shed so it's all in one place.  I asked if he had a measuring tape, and he laughed.  Well, where do you think mine is?  At the cottage.  Out of all the stuff you'd think there would be another one around.  Anyway, I asked him to measure the pallet wood I had finished to see if there was enough for the wall I measured on Saturday.  I need about 2 more ft. worth.  He marked the measurements on my table in the basement for me.  He also started to arrange them how we might best like them installed.  We are hoping to go back this Sunday.  Saturday is rain in the forecast.  We agreed we are not doing wet sand again.  It's the worst.

Sending my best wishes to you for a productive last work weekend, and a beautiful wedding. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Oh, and speaking of weddings my daughter's boyfriend asked me on Mother's Day if Ok to ask her to marry and showed me a picture of the ring.  I had previously given her my mother's diamonds and he said they will be incorporated into the bands.  So, seems I'll have some upcoming engagement news soon.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DMB said:

So, seems I'll have some upcoming engagement news soon.  

Congratulations!  

• Like 1

• Members

I had a little bit of hysterics on Saturday.  I called my son, then I felt bad that I did, but at least I stopped crying when he got there.  We went down to the cottage on Sunday, we drove separate so not sure how many walls got up.  I put together 2 stools that I had without losing patience or throwing anything.

Tomorrow is 3 years.  I took the day off and I will go down and paint.  Keep myself busy, and if I relax with a drink then I may just spend the night and commute from there on Thursday.  

Bay 5.21 2.jpg

Bay 5.21 1.jpg

• Hugs 3

• Members

The Mission is coming along beautifully. And you are making wonderful memories with your son. 

I am headed back to the lake cabin tonight to do some final cleaning before the wedding entourage begins arriving Thursday evening.  I'll keep picking up pine cones, though it is a never ending chore as they continue to fall out of the trees. 

I have a large tent coming on Friday because we seem to be in a pattern of afternoon torrential rain. (One day we got 3 inches in 3 hours.) But rain or shine the sweet couple are so excited to be getting married at the cabin that no amount of rain will dampen their spirits. 

Gail

• Like 3

• Moderators

You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow...I am amazed at all you do and have accomplished!

!

You're in my thoughts too, Gail, two more days! Praying the rain abates, 3" is a LOT!

• Like 2

• Members

Gail, I trust the wedding was wonderful.

I've been down a few more times.  On his anniversary day (a Wednesday), I had the whole place to myself.  It was very peaceful.  Made up a bed so I could spend Saturday night there.  My kids came down on Sunday.  My son had a buddy with him, and we are so appreciative for any extra help, and hearing ideas.  I was with them for a few hours but came back home Sunday evening.  

Here's some pics. I bought the life ring from a place called Big Ship Salvage. I had to take just a few things down and hang something up, instead of it collecting dust in my basement.  Son's idea to put rope as trim in the front room where the walls meet the ceiling.  He then put clamps along which makes it look pretty cool.  I really like it.  

5.24.23 3.jpg

5.28.23 1.jpg

5.28.23 2.jpg

5.28.23 3.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

There's still much to do.    Here a few more pics of the back room which will give you an idea. I did get primer on the one wall.  The hot water heater needs to get hooked up, and lastly, I took one of hubby's favorite hats down.  

5.27.23 2.jpg

5.27.23 3.jpg

5.27.23 4.jpg

5.27.23 1.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

DMB,

You are making great progress!  It looks beautiful!  I like the rope as crown molding.

The wedding went perfectly, weather was beautiful.  Couldn't ask for anything to have been better. 

This Saturday they are having a big reception/ celebration in Atlanta with several hundred people.  But none of that is my responsibility, I am just a guest.  I am headed to Atlanta today to visit old friends and to be there as our out of state relatives start arriving. 

Next week I can rest!

Gail

• Like 2

• Moderators

The rope is a nice touch, goes well with it!

7 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

The wedding went perfectly, weather was beautiful.  Couldn't ask for anything to have been better. 

So glad!  And enjoy Saturday...

• Like 1

• Members

Back room.  Getting closer.  Floor is down.  Next goal is to paint this room and I am a little short on pallet boards so will have to rip some more to finish that wall.  Not sure how long that will take me as I'm doing that in my basement, and I am usually lazy on weeknights. I have much more gumption on weekends.

I actually commuted to work from down there this morning.  It wasn't bad-50 minutes at 6am as opposed to 1 hr. usually.  Time enough to stop home and shower.   I did have trouble falling asleep last night worrying that I would oversleep and be late.  I got right up with the alarm.  I put the phone on the counter away from where I was so I would have to get up and make it stop.

Bay 6.18.23 2.jpg

Bay 6.18.23.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Very pretty! I used to commute 50 miles one way, I'm in snow country, sometimes getting up at 3 am to shovel snow, so I get it!

• Like 1

• Members

My daughter spent a couple of days with me last week. I worked from home one of the days, and she was a beast ripping apart of couple more pallets for me. On Saturday I sanded and stained them.  The weather is very tropical here right now, humid, rain off and on, just gross out.  I was sweating profusely until finally my son arrived, pizza in hand, and I helped him put the big AC in the window. It is 18,000 btu's and has a 220v receptacle so it does the whole place.

Sunday morning, I headed down to the cottage and I painted the back room.   My hope is to now move a bed down for the holiday weekend. Lots and lots of trim to do. My body is a bit sore but nothing some Advil won't fix.

Bay 6.25.23.jpg

Bay 6.25.23 2.jpg

Bay 6.25.23 3.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

Holiday weekend went OK.  It was busy and not much work was done, but my son went down Wednesday and Thursday night and did a few things.   

Have a family function this Saturday and the weather looks awful for Sunday so may not make it back there until the 15th.

Bay 6.30.23 2.jpg

Bay 6.30.23 3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Forgot to send one of the dog.   She was good for the most part.  

Jul 5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members

Huge progress: a comfy bed to sleep on in a beautiful, mostly finished, room.

The pup looks very happy to be with you. 

• Like 2