Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Movie reviews

widower2

• Moderators
widower2

The Pig - Nick Cage stars as a forest recluse who hunts truffles with his pet pig and sells them to a "dealer," but then the pig is stolen and he tries to get it back with the help of his dealer. Occasionally after watching a movie, I'll look up how well received it was, and apparently most thought this movie was all that and a bag of chips and I don't get why. I like that it wasn't standard Hollywood fare with overly dramatic moments etc, but it took that to a fault...the movie was about as comatose as the main character throughout, it wasn't at all believable, it had its share of plot holes, and character development was also very lacking. I considered it a waste of time.

As always, take my opinion with a grain of salt :)  

• Like 1

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• SSC

• reader

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Gail 8588

I recently enjoyed watching The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel again.  I love the characters in that movie.  

• Like 1

• Members
foreverhis

This one is not for the faint of heart, but based on a true story. In fact, I found it so viscerally and internally unsettling that Cosi was affected and started pacing around, staring at “something,” and then came over to me and wouldn’t leave my side. That night, if she had snuggled any closer, she would have been inside my pjs with me. Even the next morning, she kept patting my head. She’s never done that before.

With that warning, I still recommend The Zone of Interest . It’s about the primary Commandant of Auschwitz and his family. They lived next to the camp and nearly all of the movie takes place in their home and gardens. The night scenes were filmed with night vision and no artificial lighting, so there is a surreal quality to them.

The banality of every day, the acceptance by the adults (I won’t say who I ended up being most disgusted by, but it wasn’t who I expected), and the routine within the family juxtaposed with never seeing inside the camp, mostly just hearing, while knowing anyway is disturbing, but that’s the point, I think.

This is not a movie for everyone, but it’s thought provoking and really well done.

• Like 1

• Moderators
widower2

Yeah that's one I waffle on. It's one of those that even if it's a really good movie quality wise, it's so dark that I'd never watch it more than once (like Schindler's List). 

But onto a totally opposite kind of movie, I recommend the Lego Batman Movie. :)  If you're into that kind of thing anyway. Shamelessly silly for the most part, and yet some "poignant" moments as well.

• Like 1

• Members
Gail 8588

I'll  go with the shamelessly silly.  

I don't  think I am capable of watching The Zone of Interest, or Schindler's List.   I just don't tolerate stress/tension/ suspense well. 

Thanks for the great description though. 

I unintentionally watched a documentary about the BeeGees last night.  ( It came on after a show I was watching.)  I was not a fan of the BeeGees but I thought the documentary about them was very interesting.  Once I had watched 10 minutes I was hooked to watch the whole show.   It is free on YouTube. The Story of the BeeGees.

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

Oppenheimer - Sorry I just don't get the hype. IMO quite an overrated film. I found it pretentious, at times even melodramatic, and just generally kind of full of itself....the "creative theatrics" especially so. And the time shift thing back and forth got really old. I guess the lead actor was good if that's how Oppenheimer really was; I can't say. But I grew weary of his wooden, soft-spoken demeanor. I did keep thinking "if they ever do a biopic of David Byrne, this is your guy." :) 

I will say that Robert Downey Jr...who in the past I felt was overrated...was outstanding here. And Matt Damon was about as good as can be expected given the part. But otherwise I'm half surprised I stuck it out for this very long movie.

• Like 1

• Members
foreverhis
On 4/13/2024 at 12:40 PM, widower2 said:

It's one of those that even if it's a really good movie quality wise, it's so dark that I'd never watch it more than once (like Schindler's List). 

Exactly. We watched Schindler’s List once and thought it was excellent. But it wasn’t one we’d ever watch again.

I don’t have a problem with movies or shows that are dark or difficult, but I have to be in the right frame of mind for them.

On a different note, I have added the two part Steve Martin documentary to my list. My sister recommended it. My primary “movie and popcorn at home” friend loves his work, so we’re going to do that as our next one. It’s 3+ hours total, so we’ll have to start early. It’s on Apple+, which I have through an Apple Family Share, thanks to my sister.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2
2 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I don’t have a problem with movies or shows that are dark or difficult, but I have to be in the right frame of mind for them.

Same here. And the older I get, the less stomach I have for it, frankly. 

The Steve Martin bio sounds good; I'm a big fan, such a talented guy. Hopefully that becomes more broadly available at some point.

• Members
Gail 8588

Just stumbled  upon a lovely short 2024  documentary on YouTube  called  The Last Repair Shop. 

About the musicians that repair musical instruments for school children in Los Angeles.  

It was quite touching.  Reminds you of the generosity of humans and the little opportunities that can change  the trajectory  of a child's  life. 

• Like 1

• Members
16 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Just stumbled  upon a lovely short 2024  documentary on YouTube  called  The Last Repair Shop. 

About the musicians that repair musical instruments for school children in Los Angeles.  

It was quite touching.  Reminds you of the generosity of humans and the little opportunities that can change  the trajectory  of a child's  life. 

That’s part of our local film festival. Not everything is available on the encore streaming option for pass holders, but that one is. One of our movie night friends has the pass, so four of us who get together have made our preference lists for movie night. Two of us are musicians, but all four of us put it on our lists. I am glad to hear that it’s as good as we hoped.

• Members

Pass holders or not, that lovely film (The Last Repair Shop) is free for anyone to watch on YouTube.

YouTube  has a surprisingly large selection of documentaries and movies available. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Gail 8588 said:

YouTube  has a surprisingly large selection of documentaries and movies available. 

It does, even without the paid option. I refuse to pay for it.

I was thrilled to find a filmed live Broadway performance of the 2006-2007 revival of Company starring Raul Esparza.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's amazing what's on Youtube (free). Movies, documentaries, clips from old shows, concerts, how to fix almost anything, etc.

• Like 1

• Members

Yes!  Thank goodness for YouTube or I’d be a frantic mess.  Since my husband and dad are both gone and I’m not very mechanical, it’s my go to resource to repair anything in my house.  It has saved me so much money!

• Like 1

• Members

I'm  watching a YouTube video on how to refinish wood furniture without stripping.   I have purchased all the needed stuff, but don't  yet have the courage to begin. 

• Like 1