Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Movie reviews

widower2

• Moderators

You bet Gail. Also FWIW, found out this was the third in a sort of trilogy of (similar but unrelated) films and so checked out the other two:

The first one, "The Secret of Kells," is about young boy living in an Irish abbot (like I think all in this trilogy, set roughly in the 1600s) who befriends a "forest creature" of sorts as he tries to help an old man finish the Book of Kells, a manuscript containing the four Gospels of the New Testament. This isn't as good as Wolfwalkers; watchable, but that's about it. 

The second, "Song of the Sea," was better. It's about a young girl who can't talk and finds she can become a seal with a sort of "magic coat" because she's a special half-animal kind of person too. As with the others, focuses a lot on family, somewhat on loss too, which of course we can all relate to. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• SSC

• reader

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They all sound pretty interesting. 

I enjoyed The Golden Compass movie and the HBO 3-season series His Dark Materials (both based on the book trilogy by Philip  Pullman) where the human world interacts with various animal civilizations. 

The HBO series covers one book each season.  Fun fantasy/science fiction stuff.

• Like 1

• Members

I started watching Vast of Night several months ago because I loved the retro look and feel of it but like you I found it boring and just couldn’t get through it.  I never finished the film.  

Where did you watch Wolfwalkers?

• Moderators

Actually a friend had it, but I hear it's avail on Apple TV Plus. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Mission Impossible IV:  Standard fare for the series. It's about what you'd expect, not amazing, but pretty good if you're in the mood for that kind of flick. 

• Moderators

The Natural - Never saw this - feel-good baseball movie starring Robert Redford, has to be good right?  Nah....not "bad" but IMO  disappointing. Looked good on the surface but basically there's no character development and so it just comes off kind of flat. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Eye in the Sky - Military drama movie (very little action, it really is a drama) about a combined US/Britain planned strike on terrorists in Kenya. Well done, although for those of us who know the military, not very realistic in terms of how various people acted. Still worth the watch though. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Moneyball - Another baseball flick this one a true story starring Brad Pitt as the GM of the Oakland As some years back who after a playoff year, loses most of his big stars and tries to assemble a competitive team with little money to work with, so he uses a new stats-based approach to do so. It wasn't bad, but that's about as far as I'll go. Like The Natural, it was mostly flat with little to offer in the way of character development/interaction, esp between Pitt and his co-star (forget the name). Pitt was wasted here, as was almost every other actor.

I think I'll watch Field of Dreams! :)   

• Like 1

• Members

I liked Moneyball!  Probably because it was based on a true story and the guy switched things up in the baseball world and thought outside the box.  Sooooo…I mostly liked the movie for the story itself more than anything.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Fair enough! :) I liked that he shook things up too, and the winning streak was cool. I just wish the characters were developed better. 

• Like 2

• Members

Just watched "Come From Away" a broadway musical about the town in Newfoundland that received thousands of air passengers when all air traffic was grounded after the 9/11 attacks.  

I thought it was terrific, but I am partial to musicals generally.  Even all these years later, it evoked a strong emotional reaction in me to the anxiety and fear that gripped us during that terrible time. 

It's available on Apple+. 

Gail

• Like 1

• Members

Here is a full copy of the performance on YouTube for free.  Not the best video or sound quality, I think it was just video taken from someone's seat in the theater.   I recommend you pay the 5 bucks to Apple+  for better viewing and sound,  but this is a free option.

I recommend you watch it from a TV or large computer screen.  I think it would be hard to follow on a phone.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Farmageddon - "Stop motion" animation story born from the Wallace and Grommit folks but this one is about a group of sheep and one in particular who befriends an alien. Fun, simple, lighthearted movie. Interesting too because there's no dialogue (nothing intelligible anyway). This is how kids' movies are supposed to be, but adults can enjoy too.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

Yesterday - An unsuccessful aspiring Indian rock musician (living in the UK) suddenly finds success when some weird "alternate reality" thing happens and he finds himself in a world where The Beatles didn't exist, and pretends to have written their songs. I could nit-pick about how this could have been better, but a good movie overall, fun unique concept. 

• Like 1

• Members

Ooo Yesterday!! I remember when that came out, never got around to watching it, though. I'll definitely have to put it on my list! 

• Like 1

• Members

'Yesterday' is a favorite movie for me.  I have watched it 7 or 8 times including about 2 weeks ago.  

Sure you can nitpick details, but it is a thoroughly fun movie.

'Galaxy Quest' is another movie I love and have seen many times.

• Moderators

Is that the one with Tim Allen? Yeah that was a fun movie. :) 

• Members

Yes, Tim Allen is the retired Captain of the Galaxy Quest (TV) space explorer missions. 

So many terrific characters in that movie. 

• Moderators

The Last Boy Scout - Kind of a "buddy cop" 90s film starring Bruce Willis and Damon Waynans. I'd seen it many years ago and liked it - the second time around I thought it was more flawed than I remembered. Too often they went for a cheap laugh vs keeping a crime drama believable, which kind of matters...but the chemistry between Willis and Waynans was great and Waynans in particular I wish did more dramatic parts, he has the talent to easily. A worthwhile film overall if you're in the mood for that kind of thing. 

• Members

I just watched the first 2 episodes of the Netflix 'documentary' (not really) Swamp Kings.  If you enjoy College football you may find this interesting.  Each episode covers 1 year of Urban Meyer's coaching the Florida Gators 2005 through 2008, an incredibly exciting time for that program. 

Personally I think Urban Meyer is a terribly flawed human being of low moral character, and I was reluctant to watch the program.  But friends talked me into watching and I have really enjoyed the first 2 segments and will finish the rest this weekend. 

Being a rabid Gator fan, and having attended many of the games in that 4 year period, I am sure makes the program more appealing to me.  I'd love to hear from non-Gator fans if it was an enjoyable watch.

Gail 

• Moderators

Interesting...I'm an NCAA football fan (season is already underway!!) but don't have Netflix. I'll wait for a rental. :) 

Anyway The Flash: ugh poor movie IMO on so many levels. Even though I read comics as a kid, I'm ready for these movies to be over. 

• Members

I watched the rest of Swamp Kings and enjoyed it.  The 4th episode covered the 2009 season and Urban Meyer's resignation mess too.  So it basically covered all of Meyer's time at UF. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I caught McKenna's Gold on TV the other day, an old old movie western starring Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, Telly Savalas, Ted Cassidy (Lurch!) and Julie Newmar (Catwoman!). An interesting cast...and a terrible movie. Don't waste your time. 

• Members
On 7/23/2023 at 4:49 PM, Gail 8588 said:

Just watched "Come From Away" a broadway musical about the town in Newfoundland that received thousands of air passengers when all air traffic was grounded after the 9/11 attacks.  

I thought it was terrific, but I am partial to musicals generally.  Even all these years later, it evoked a strong emotional reaction in me to the anxiety and fear that gripped us during that terrible time. 

It's available on Apple+. 

Gail

The touring company is coming to our largest local PAC. A friend got tickets. I’m slightly envious, but premium shows have premium prices that my budget doesn’t usually allow.  A few friends and I volunteer as ushers or box office for smaller theater  companies and orchestra/music groups. We get free tickets that way.  I’m a theater and musical theater girl and don’t mind singing for my supper (which BTW was put to song in the musical The Boys from Syracuse, based on Shakespeare’s The Comedy of Errors; yes, I am full of useless knowledge😅).

A friend also has an “in” with the marketing director of a well known conservatory theater and sometimes gets prime tickets free. She invites different friends based on our personal preferences.  Recently, I went with her to see a conservatory-touring production of Bright Star. It was excellent. She drove 80 miles r/t and I treated for an early supper. A great day all around.

I just checked the Apple+ information. I’m thrilled it’s a filmed recording of the Broadway stage production. It said they filmed during COVID with an audience of First Responders (and COVID protocols in place).  The Broadway cast is full of excellent performers. I will watch it for sure. Thanks, Gail.

• Members
On 8/20/2023 at 8:07 PM, widower2 said:

Is that the one with Tim Allen? Yeah that was a fun movie. :) 

I loved it. Great cast and dead on perfect spoofs of multiple Sci Fi franchises. I loved Alan Rickman in everything he did. And we all (family, friends, and John and I) are Sci Fi fans.

They made a 20 year anniversary documentary on it. Fabulous. Available on Prime.

• Moderators

Greenland - A man, his wife, and young kid struggle to stay together and survive as massive comet fragments threaten to destroy the Earth, more or less. Some things to like but IMO more to dislike about this flick, esp the plausibility factor in a variety of ways and incredibly predictable sub-plots or situations along the way. I wouldn't say I considered watching it a total waste of time, but I can't recommend it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

All the Money in the World - Based on the true story about J Paul Getty, at the time the richest man ever, whose grandson was kidnapped in the early 70s and the struggle between him and the boy's mother (ex-daughter in-law) about paying the ransom. Well done and really well acted, led by Christopher Plummer as JP Getty and Michelle Williams as the mother. 

• Like 1

• Members

I watched the docu/series Invictus on Netflix.  I thought it was very well done.

It covered a lot of important issues, related to mental health, while giving some incredible insights into the war in Ukraine.  I am not a follower of the royal family's dramas, but I felt the series gave some insight into Harry's life, without it being a focus of the program. 

I recommend it. 

• Moderators

American Graffiti - Never saw it, heard it was a classic, so tried It. I lasted about 30-45 mins before giving up, bored to tears. Does anything ever actually happen in this movie? 

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Living - An elderly bureaucrat learns he has a fatal disease and wonders what to do with his remaining days. Not a cheery premise (esp given the site I'm posting it on), so fair warning, but it isn't morbid, and even has a somewhat uplifting aspect ultimately. It's not bad, not amazing. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sixth Day - Arnold S. stars in what is touted as a "sci fi flick" but is really more of a crime thriller about cloning and baddies that abuse it and is really bad. Don't waste your time, even if you're in the mood for that kind of movie. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Last Duel - it was easier just to copy/paste this from the wiki: the film stars Damon as Jean de Carrouges, a knight who challenges his former friend, squire Jacques Le Gris (Adam Driver) to a judicial duel after Jean's wife, Marguerite (Jodie Comer), accuses Jacques of raping her. The events leading up to the duel are divided into three distinct chapters, reflecting the contradictory perspectives of the three main characters. Affleck also stars in a supporting role as Count Pierre d'Alençon.

A well-made movie, as I'd expect from Damon and Affleck. It dragged a bit at times, and the blue/gray medieval aura about the film was overdone, but the story re-told from three different perspectives was an interesting and refreshing approach, and it was good overall if you're into that kind of thing. Warning, it can be kind of graphic at times. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Night at the Museum - a star-studded cast comedy led by Ben Stiller and Robin Williams about Stiller being a night watchman at a museum where at night things come alive. Had seen years ago but was worth a re-watch; fun film. 

• Members
On 10/27/2023 at 8:24 PM, widower2 said:

Sixth Day - Arnold S. stars in what is touted as a "sci fi flick" but is really more of a crime thriller about cloning and baddies that abuse it and is really bad. Don't waste your time, even if you're in the mood for that kind of movie. 

On 9/30/2023 at 11:26 PM, widower2 said:

American Graffiti - Never saw it, heard it was a classic, so tried It. I lasted about 30-45 mins before giving up, bored to tears. Does anything ever actually happen in this movie? 

Agreed on both movies. 

I'm a big fan of sci fi, but just no to The Sixth Day.  It came on one of the movie channels.  John and I were glad we hadn't spent money going to the theater.  I have to admit one of the things we love about streaming is that if something doesn't do it for us, we can just move on.

I saw American Graffiti when it first came out.  I was a sophomore in high school and thought it was a great movie.  John saw it then too, but he was a college graduate and thought it was good because of the cast.  Then John and I rented the VCR (so old school) and couldn't figure out why we thought it was so good way back when.

I've both read the book and seen the movie of The Martian.  I enjoyed both as individual works.  Obviously, they couldn't put every bit of the book into the movie and they had to remove most of the swearing.  I have to admit though that I loved how the movie handled "the f word."  You don't hear it spoken, but see Matt Damon say it.  Then when the tech is reading out the first transmissions, he says "f word," "f-ing," "f-word in gerand form" and so forth.  I chuckled.  It was necessary to keep the rating the producers wanted.  I have no problem with swear words when they're appropriate to the character, plot, conversation, etc.  I do have a problem with them being substituted for actual dialogue.  I think that's one reason I really dislike Pulp Fiction.  Well, one reason among many.

One movie a friend and I recently rewatched:  LA Story.  So funny and just a little "woo woo."

My sister recommended Puss in Boots and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.  A friend and I watched the original for a movie night.  We enjoyed it quite a bit.  Haven't seen the second one yet, but it's got excellent ratings, much higher than the first.  (LITTLE BIT OF A SPOILER:  Favorite lines from the original:  "You have made the cat angry.  You do not want to make the cat angry." and "How dare you do the Litter Box at me?")

I've mostly been watching series lately, but have a long list of movies to work in there a some point.  Maybe over the winter when we're snugged up during rain, wind, and the cold.

• Like 1

• Moderators

20 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Agreed on both movies. 

I'm a big fan of sci fi, but just no to The Sixth Day.  It came on one of the movie channels.  John and I were glad we hadn't spent money going to the theater.  I have to admit one of the things we love about streaming is that if something doesn't do it for us, we can just move on.

I saw American Graffiti when it first came out.  I was a sophomore in high school and thought it was a great movie.  John saw it then too, but he was a college graduate and thought it was good because of the cast.  Then John and I rented the VCR (so old school) and couldn't figure out why we thought it was so good way back when.

I've read both the book and seen the movie of The Martian.  I enjoyed both as individual works.  Obviously, they couldn't put every bit of the book into the movie and they had to remove most of the swearing.  I have to admit though that I loved how the movie handled "the f word."  You don't hear it spoken, but see Matt Damon say it.  Then when the tech is reading out the first transmissions, he says "f word," "f-ing," "f-word in gerand form" and so forth.  I chuckled.  It was necessary to keep the rating the producers wanted.  I have no problem with swear words when they're appropriate to the character, plot, conversation, etc.  I do have a problem with them being substituted for actual dialogue.  I think that's one reason I really dislike Pulp Fiction.  Well, one reason among many.

One movie a friend and I recently rewatched:  LA Story.  So funny and just a little "woo woo."

My sister recommended Puss in Boots and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.  A friend and I watched the original for a movie night.  We enjoyed it quite a bit.  Haven't seen the second one yet, but it's got excellent ratings, much higher than the first.  (LITTLE BIT OF A SPOILER:  Favorite lines from the original:  "You have made the cat angry.  You do not want to make the cat angry." and "How dare you do the Litter Box at me?")

I've mostly been watching series lately, but have a long list of movies to work in there a some point.  Maybe over the winter when we're snugged up during rain, wind, and the cold.

Agreed on all counts. The Martian was a "fun" movie and the humor was classic Matt Dillon. Agreed on the cursing. I'm no prude but swearing for the sake of swearing or done excessively doesn't offend me, just annoys me. Ditto for anything that gets seedy or otherwise "in the sewer." Big Bang Theory bothered me at times that way. Occasionally it worked, but they overdid it...it was like a cheap gimmick. 

I saw LA Story a long time ago and recall liking it...(it's hard to wrong with Steve Martin). I heard Puss n Boots was good, it's on the list. 

PS: one way I have of looking for movies is going here (this list is for 2021 but you can find other years): https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/2021-best-movies/  I try the highest-rated ones that appeal and have had pretty good luck with it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Croods - an animated comedy film about a family of cavemen. This just didn't work for me at all; I gave up after about 20-30 mins. 

• Like 2

• Members
16 hours ago, widower2 said:

The Croods

Not my cup of tea either.  I'm also not a fan of any of the animated series like The Simpsons or King of the Hill (I think that's right).  We never even bothered to watch one episode.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah it was bad. Just not at all funny. I like animations if they're well done; Pixar has done some great stuff. I liked The Simpsons early on, but it started to wear thin after awhile (I saw a few of the newer episodes recently and they were pretty bad; it should've ended a long time ago). 

• Like 1

• Members
6 hours ago, widower2 said:

I like animations if they're well done; Pixar has done some great stuff.

I absolutely agree about that.  I think what bothers me about the series I mentioned is the "gutter" and insipid humor.  My sister watched some of the first seasons and said that there was actual humor to be found, but I don't want to wade through the rest of it.  She too stopped watching long ago.

As well, I'm so tired of The Honeymooners trope, if you will, of dumb, obnoxious schlub of a husband married to beautiful, charming, clever wife."  In modern series when children are involved, they're smart@sses, smarter than their parents, and have no respect for others.  Animated or live action, no thank you!

I agree that Pixar has done some excellent work.  I enjoy when there is subtle "adult" humor where the grown ups get the little joke that the youngsters don't.  Generally the movies seem to have a moral underpinning and lessons learned, but not too much in a beat-you-over-the-head or condescending way.

I have a niece and nephew both in their mid 20s now and a soon-to-be 15 year old granddaughter.  They all wanted John and me to watch their movies with them, so yes, I've seen most of them more than once.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well said as always, esp about " The Honeymooners trope" - this has been pervasive for a ridiculously long time and I often wondered if anyone else got it, thanks so much for that (All in the Family, The Simpsons, Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymond, the list goes on).  

On the positive side, it's hard to go wrong with Pixar...from Toy Story to Monsters, Inc and Cars, that list also goes on. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Anyone watching any holiday movies? I've seen stuff like It's a Wonderful Life and the animated specials so much I'm not inclined to, but might try something or other. 

• Members
13 hours ago, widower2 said:

Anyone watching any holiday movies? I've seen stuff like It's a Wonderful Life and the animated specials so much I'm not inclined to, but might try something or other. 

Two male friends and I had a tradition decades ago of planning an evening to watch White Christmas. It was before DVDs or streaming, of course, so we had to watch it when broadcast. John, bless his heart, would watch with me after we married, but it wasn’t quite the same. I know he would have been fine with me continuing my previous tradition, but my friends and I were all in married by then and the timing didn’t work most years.

Originally, we would have snacks and wine and sing and dance along with some of it. All my friends were theater geeks and musicians like me, so we tended to do stuff like that.

These days, I don’t really watch Christmas/Holiday movies, but have kept a Christmas Eve tradition John and I had of watching favorite Christmas episodes of certain series. I have added a few to the list, so it’s basically a binge watch. I couldn’t do it the first year, except the one we always watched last. I felt I had to because it seemed like a way to honor his memory. But boy did I cry during the final scene, which is an instrumental version of Oh, Holy Night played by a group of musicians actually displaced by Hurricane Katrina. So beautiful.

I don’t mean to insult anyone and this is just my personal taste, but most newer Christmas movies don’t interest me. In particular, the yearly Hallmark Movies are not my cup of cocoa. The original Miracle on 34th Street is always a good watch.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

That's nice FH. I like having traditions like that, although we didn't have any in particular beyond the standard gifts and tree. Oddly, I haven't ever seen White Christmas; I don't know why. Hallmark has IMO done some great stuff in the past, but I haven't had cable for a long long time...can't speak to what's out now. I will say I absolutely hate any Christmas movie that is mean-spirited or "edgy"....save that for Halloween

• Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, widower2 said:

I will say I absolutely hate any Christmas movie that is mean-spirited or "edgy"....save that for Halloween

Me too.  I also don't care for the current type of formulaic, saccharine plots/tropes for Christmas movies.  I'm glad that they're "feel good" movies for others; they just annoy me.  Weird because I'm a sucker for a really good rom-com.

I've never watched It's a Wonderful Life all the way through.  I don't know why.  I love the cast and the concept is good, but I just couldn't get into it.  OTOH, Berkeley Breathed did a Bloom County multi-day spin on it for Christmas 2020 that I thought was so sweet.  It was about a dog's life and how it would be to be loved...or not.  Opus played the Clarence part to perfection, IMO.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have movies like that (have seen parts of but never saw it all at once). Bloom County, wow I haven't read that in a long time.....I'll have to look that up. 

The last newer Christmas movie I saw was this a few years back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_Noël  It was good (there was some violence/etc, it's a war film after all, but IIRC not too bad, but I'm not 100% sure). 

But yeah I can't go for anything overly sappy. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Office Space - People at work kept telling me this is funny so I checked it out...eh. It had some funny moments but as a movie overall didn't do much for me. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Walk the Proud Land - Oldie starring Audie Murphy in a movie based on a true story about John Clum, a govt rep who went out to a Indian reservation in the 1870s and went well against the tide by treating them with fairness and respect and established an unorthodox self-governing Indian reservation with the Apaches. Basically a weakish B movie, as most of his movies are unfortunately, but the subject matter kept me interested enough to watch it the whole way. A new version of this done well would be an excellent movie IMO.

• Like 1