• John9

• tnd

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

BBB, 

For me, it was year 4. 

I believe for most people it doesn't take that long.  For a few, it may take longer.  

Hang in there.

Gail

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, BBB said:

When does the thought of - "If my spouse is gone I don't really want to be here" feeling subside? Or go away? 2 years? 4? 10?

I would say it's a gradual change, kind of back and forth, more intense in earlier grief but eventually you realize you can survive this and even find some good in life.  Not like before, but I've learned to not compare, as it devalues the good that there is.

4 hours ago, jmmosley53 said:

Hello BBB,

For me it was when I got a rescue dog.  This may seem trivial but I knew she had been dumped several times in here life.  I wanted her to have a forever home until she dies.  So I have to keep alive until that happens.

She sort of gave me something to live for. 

True for me too!  It gives me incentive to keep trying, AND adds much to my life!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I wrote in my journal just last night about putting on a show for people but how in my alone time the mask comes off. In this time my true feelings are still to ask why I must stay here without Indy.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

He has her eyes and is very jovial, just like his grandmother.

I hope that someday that will bring warmth to your heart rather than pain.  :wub:

I think our families would be stunned to realize how we truly feel inside sometimes.  We don't want to scare them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Diane R. E.
3 hours ago, BBB said:

What gives me hope is that there are people here that have felt the same way but years later they have found a way to continue living.

I can understand how it gives us hope, but YEARS? It's been almost 9 months for me and I can't imagine feeling like this for a few more years. 

• Like 4

• Members
On 6/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, Sparky1 said:

Now when I see him on video chat, I break down and think of my wife. He has her eyes and is very jovial, just like his grandmother.

Sparky1:  Yes, that would be a tough one. Do you think it's possible that you are afraid to enjoy your grandson for fear it brings back memories and make you sad?  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

June483, 

I had many of the same types of thoughts.  I remembered that there were some cultures, (ancient Aztec, or who knows what) where wives were buried with their dead husbands.  That practice all of a sudden made perfect sense to me after I was widowed.  I was totally willing to be buried with my love.   

As months dragged on, everytime I read a news story of some innocent person being killed in an accident or by violence, I would think why couldn't it have been me that was taken, rather than this child or mother or father.   Why were their families torn apart needlessly when I have  no reason to be alive? 

I now feel pretty confident that many surviving spouses feel this way. 

I finally came out of that way of thinking about 6 months into the pandemic, when I realized I really didn't want to catch this virus.  I wanted to live.  It really was a surprising feeling after not caring if I lived or died for so long. 

Hang in there. You will one day find that you do actually want to live. 

Hugs

Gail

• Like 4

• Members
On 6/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, Gail 8588 said:

For me, it was year 4. 

Gail8588:  Anything in particular going into the 4th year that helped you reach that point?  

• Like 1

• Members
48 minutes ago, june483 said:

So I am left with this.... I am not afraid of death.  I am ready to go at any time.

june483:  This is kind of how I feel too. In fact, I have an illness that requires me to be on oxygen 24/7. All I'd have to do is remove my O2 and I'd probably be gone within a couple of hours. But I love my cats too much and would never intentionally leave them alone to starve. One time while in the hospital for a bronchoscopy and biopsy, I stopped breathing and they had to intubate me and put me on a ventilator. With the loss of my husband I am thinking the next time I am in the hospital I'm going to sign a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order. Of course before having any scheduled procedure I'd want to pre-arrange for my cats to be taken care of. Wouldn't want them left here alone to starve and nobody knowing. I am not about being cruel. But no, I am not afraid of death. I wasn't before my husband passed and certainly am not now. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 6/21/2021 at 4:52 PM, foreverhis said:

I realize that, while I will never be happy in the way I was, I am happier now than I was for the first year or more.

foreverhis:  I got so much out of your post, all of it, thank you! Because of my illness and before my husband passed, I had been working on being positive and trying to surround myself only with "positivity" and not dwell on anything negative or have anything negative affect me. Kind of like looking at the glass half full. Guess I am now going to have to apply that to how I cope with the loss of my husband. When you say "happier now than I was for the first year" I think that is an excellent example of positivity. Your words are something I'll take with me on this journey.  

• Like 3

• Members
27 minutes ago, tnd said:

Gail8588:  Anything in particular going into the 4th year that helped you reach that point?  

Tnd, 

We all have our own challenges to over come. Mine sort of dragged out my grief, I believe.  

The first year and half after my husband's death, I really resisted trying to cope with my grief at all.  I was too busy doing all sorts of things, selling my house, moving twice, working full time, lots of things. It really wasn't until I retired and moved into the house I am in now that my grief really took hold of my life. 

I  had to come to grips with my anxiety about all manner of catastrophes that might befall me, my insecurity that I really wasn't capable of functioning independently as I had just recently become aware of how much my husband did to assist me in life. 

At the 3 year mark, I was probably at my lowest.  I knew I couldn't go on living like this.  It was just too painful everyday.  I sort of demanded me to make some changes.  Something to alter my mindset. 

I started making my bed every morning, to establish order in my life and to feel in control. I tried to teach myself piano, to shock my brain into learning something new.  That my future held new things.  I signed up to volunteer (just zoom activity) with an organization here in my new home town.  These people never knew me as part of a couple.  So it was a bit of a mental respite from my grief to work with them.  I intentionally looked for some small or big sign of good or happiness and acknowledged them out loud, many times a day. I went to the doctor and dentist again, prioritizing some self care that I had neglected for too long. My doctor prescribed a sleepaid that allowed me to get more than the 3 to 4 hours of sleep at night.  Chronic sleep deprivation was a real problem for me.

At the beginning, all these activities were very forced.  But slowly, I did actually start feeling better.   By six months into my 4th year of grief, I was clearly making progress. 

I am by no means "over it", and I never will be.  I don't expect to have the comfortable, secure life I had with John ever again. But I am no longer in despair.  I am no longer a zombie with no emotional attachment to the world.  I still have some sad days. I still miss my sweetie.  But most days I am happy. It's a really big improvement. 

Your journey and your time table will be your own.  Don't think that it will take you so many years to feel better just because it took me so long. 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 minutes ago, Sparky1 said:

I always think that my wife will not see him growing up, she would be so happy right now. I guess that's what makes me sad.

Sparky1:  So in a way, you are sad for the both of you? For your wife not getting to see him grow up and sad for yourself over losing her and not getting to see her interact with your grandchild and be happy about it? I can only say that somehow you might have to figure out how to carry on and maybe look at enjoying your grandchildren, even through video chat, as a way to honor your wife. I think my husband would want me to carry on and continue enjoying things that I enjoyed when he was still alive. Of course some things I can no longer really enjoy without him but I suppose there will be some things that I can. Just not there yet.  *Hugs* to you.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
26 minutes ago, Sparky1 said:

tnd, yes I am sad at her not getting to see the grandchildren grow up and sad that the little guy was born when my wife was sick.

Sparky1:  I just realized and wonder if I am going to go through the same thing when I move in with my brother and his family. Because we live in different states, we didn't get to spend much time with them but when they'd visit, they really did like my husband and had fun together. I'm sure my brother or SIL has explained that he's gone now but wonder how it's going to be when I move in with them. I look forward to seeing my nephews so sure hope I don't cry in-front of them when thinking about how much their uncle would have enjoyed seeing them again. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Diane R. E. said:

I can understand how it gives us hope, but YEARS? It's been almost 9 months for me and I can't imagine feeling like this for a few more years. 

Try not to look at others' journeys or how long it takes.  When I first lost my husband I thought, "I could live another 40 YEARS without him!"  The thought terrified me (and I have GAD), the anxiety roared!  I learned to take one day at a time.  Just do today, tell yourself, "I can do today."  Tomorrow you get up and do it again.  I know, it sounds like Groundhog day, but the days vary and we change, new people/experiences enter our lives, give us something to look forward to, something to hope towards.  Everyone's experience and journey through this will not copycat someone else's, but will be a product of their choices and what goes on in their life's path.

15 hours ago, june483 said:

I am not afraid of death.

Me neither.  It will bring with it peace, the hope we have of what is next, a life that is better than what we have right now, along with being with them again.

14 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

You will one day find that you do actually want to live.

Yes.

14 hours ago, tnd said:

Anything in particular going into the 4th year that helped you reach that point? 

For me it wasn't a magic number but a gradually processing of my grief, it really does evolve.  I CHOSE to look for good in each day.  As I gradually processed my grief, it began to seem more possible to build a life I could live.  No it's not the same as before, but I've learned to NOT compare to what was!  Or even to another's journey, this is my journey, I get some say so in how it goes.  No I don't get George back, but I have learned to live alone and have good moments in it.  Was it every my preference to be single?  No.  But it is what it is, it could be worse (if I was in a bad marriage)...at least I know what love is and had it, and I have my memories to sustain me.  One person in this world truly loved and cared about me and I him.  That is forever etched into my heart.

13 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

But I am no longer in despair.

And that is a lot, a huge improvement over the beginning time.  You have put in the effort and it's displaying its results in your life. :wub:

• Like 4

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

I CHOSE to look for good in each day.  As I gradually processed my grief, it began to seem more possible to build a life I could live.  No it's not the same as before, but I've learned to NOT compare to what was!

KayC:  My husband and I had "chosen" to do this. Like you, I say "chose" because I do think with what we do with things is a choice. Right now I feel like I don't have a lot of choices but I do know the importance of realizing that I do have SOME choices left. I hope with that I can build and expand my choices down the road.

Ever since I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis I've been trying to find something positive in each day. When I was alone here at home when my husband was in the hospital for all those months, I began to email my brother every couple days with what I titled "Good Word of the Day". I would tell him about just one good thing I had achieved or done or good news about my husband. Thinking it and then sharing it helped me. Just walking 50 feet without needing to stop and rest opposed to 30 was an achievement for me, stuff like that. I haven't done it since losing my husband but I'm not beating myself up over it. I'm still trying to at least THINK of positive things but the actual follow-thru won't be happening just yet. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 6/22/2021 at 6:41 PM, tnd said:

I look forward to seeing my nephews so sure hope I don't cry in-front of them when thinking about how much their uncle would have enjoyed seeing them again. 

If I may add a different perspective.

I believe we adults hide our grief from children too much.  I'm not saying we should spew painful details or spend hours and hours sobbing in front of them.  But our society sucks at acknowledging death, loss, and grief.  If we teach our children that it's not okay to cry or to grieve in other ways, we teach them that they should hide how they feel too.  If we pretend that "Okay, it's sad, but now that the funeral is over, it's back to normal," we give them no healthy reference for expressing their own feelings.

If you cry in front them, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.  You can tell them why:  That you miss their uncle very much and that you know he would have wanted to be with you and with them.  Of course it should be as appropriate for their ages.  You could tell them that being with them makes you happy too because not everything has to be sad.

It's just that we live in a society that is toxic with positivity sometimes.  No sadness, depression, or other "bad" feelings allowed.  "Cheer up" and "Be positive" and "Be strong"--PHOOEY to that!  We need to teach our children that happy and sad can co-exist and that they don't always have to be "happy, happy, happy."  It's unhealthy to pretend that only "good" feelings, thoughts, and actions are acceptable.

As always, that's just my opinion.

• Like 4

• Members
2 hours ago, foreverhis said:

We need to teach our children that happy and sad can co-exist and that they don't always have to be "happy, happy, happy."  It's unhealthy to pretend that only "good" feelings, thoughts, and actions are acceptable.

foreverhis:  I didn't think about that but I think you're right. My nephews are teenagers. They don't need to know the details surrounding their uncle's death (unless they ask then I will tell them) but they should know that he enjoyed them and that I wish he could see them now, nearly all grown up. I'm just afraid I will breakdown and I don't want them thinking they have to walk around their auntie on eggshells or caused me to cry. But if I do, then that would probably be a good time to ask them for a hug.   

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, tnd said:

Right now I feel like I don't have a lot of choices but I do know the importance of realizing that I do have SOME choices left. I hope with that I can build and expand my choices down the road.

I understand, and my heart goes out to you.  You sound like a very positive person living with some hard things but you're doing your best with it, all any of us can do.  ;)

12 hours ago, foreverhis said:

We need to teach our children that happy and sad can co-exist

I agree with this!  It validates their feelings whether it be sad or happy.

• Like 1

• Members
20 hours ago, tnd said:

I'm just afraid I will breakdown and I don't want them thinking they have to walk around their auntie on eggshells or caused me to cry. But if I do, then that would probably be a good time to ask them for a hug.   

Definitely a good time to ask for a hug!  Because they are teenagers, they will likely want to so something, anything, to help.  Allowing them to comfort you is a great way of that.  You could even tell them that nothing they do/did is why you are sad or crying.  You could tell them that it's okay to talk about their uncle (that is, if it is okay with you).  If they're mature enough, maybe tell them outright that they don't have to treat you like you're fragile, but ask them to understand that your grief and hurt will show itself sometimes when not even you expect it.

Grief is most definitely an emotional mine field even when it's not as complex a situation as yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Hi to all who have posted,

I have so many issues and so many comments and I don't know where to start, I too am faking it until the end. I/we have a son and we always knew he wouldn't be the one to support us in our old age if/when we needed help. That being said My son doesn't need me and I am okay with that as one of the things a parent wants is for their child(ren) to be independent and not be dependent on them forever. I have stated on other posts the only thing keeping me going right now is caring for MIL who has dementia, without that reason I wouldn't get up. I hate what happened to my wife, how she was taken too soon and I hate being alone. I have been fighting for 50 years to keep my emotions in check and with my wife's help all was fairly well. However once my wife died the walls came down and I am unable to control them now. I wake up crying, I cry throughout the day and I go to bed crying. Everything is a trigger for every negative emotion that there is. I have 35 years of good memories but right now everyone of them gets pushed away because my brain will add "never again" to anything happy. I am constantly in the looping cycle of the grief. I am also dealing with legal issues with my friend's estate through the probate court system so there that fun too. I have the fun part too of trying to deal with the people who don't do the jobs that are required for people like us who have to deal with all the paperwork that is needed to die. I am trying now to make sure my son is protected from having to deal with some of this when I die, not if because we are all here because someone we loved died and we are all going to as well. I personally can't wait because this is too much too soon and I haven't even had a chance to process the previous deaths of our pets and my friend and now my wife and another pet. Sadly waiting for MIL who is not doing well to pass too.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Yeah, hey I understand completely John. Know exactly how you feel and you know what? I'm not going to tell you to hang in there or it'll get better. Why? Because I don't care? No, not at all. I care about people who are going through such a horrible experience. I have feelings and I know that you feel like your heart has been ripped out and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not going to tell you either of those things because a) I cannot vouch for it getting better since it hasn't for me.  2) Hang in there is such a stupid platitude. All I can tell you is that I sympathize with you and I understand what you are going through.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

BBB,

That is what I mean by nobody can tell me what "to do". And that grief is personal and "we" will do what we will do. I hate this stage of life and because of my grief nobody wants to talk to me and nobody wants to be with me. I will not hide my grief to please anyone and I am sorry if they don't like it. I don't like what I have either or don't have but at least here I know that what I feel is not "weird". I would never want anybody to go through this but unless you do or did you don't or can't begin to understand how "wrong" this is and how people respond can be wrong as well. I won't ever recover from this and don't really want to.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

John9 and BBB, 

My husband and I made a great team. We had a great life together which we both valued. I know I helped him in many ways.  But in the relationship, I was much more dependent on him than he was on me.  After he died, it became excruciatingly obvious to me that I couldn't actually navigate in the world without his help. 

I am a fairly logical person, and I could see there was no fix to this problem.  I needed him to be able to live and he was never coming back.   

I was in this loop for 3 years. I was in disbelief that I didn't die. I logically knew, I couldn't live without him. Yet I didn't die.  

During any time in that 3 year period, I could have written the thoughts you are expressing.  I often did. 

I felt bad about never having anything positive to post,  but it was clear to me there was no possibility of my "moving forward" because I had analysed every possibilty and without my love, there was no way forward. 

In my experience, it is very hard to exist in this state of despair for extended lengths of time. 

At 3 years, I was at the end of my rope.  Something had to change, or I was going to bring it to an end.  I really couldn't go on. 

I can't really explain why things finally changed for me.  Maybe I just had to hit rock bottom before my brain could let go of the concept that there was no way for me to exist without my soulmate.  I don't know. 

What I do know is that I did feel like how you are describing you feel. And I know I don't feel that way anymore. 

I hope this gives you both some hope that you won't always feel as you do now. 

Gail

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Gail8588,

I am "glad" that you were able to get out of your head and also sorry for your loss. My wife and I were what I think was a very happy couple and as I posted before my neighbor said of all the married couples we actually liked each other. I have only been on this site since yesterday so I have not read much here, but I am sure others have expressed feelings of despair and hopelessness. My wife was not my better half she was my better 75 percent, she was a better person than I am at least in my eyes. She tried to do everything for anybody that she could and she also volunteered me to help others too. I/we always wanted to believe in Karma and not that it was the reason we did good things we didn't expect the bad. My wife was my world, my everything, my soulmate, my best friend if there is a descriptive word she was it for me. I unfortunately was like your husband and I did everything for her, anything she wanted I did whatever was in my power to get it or do it. She was the "designer" of our relationship I was the grunt work. She would say "we" need to...knowing full well she would point or say it and I would do it. This is just an example of why it is so hard. I have always been a "problem" solver and I can't or couldn't solve this. There is only only solution now and I understand what you said but I don't want and can't do this for "years" I am already at or near my breaking point because of everything I have to deal with and I need it OVER.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
luckystarhongkong
57 minutes ago, John9 said:

My wife was not my better half she was my better 75 percent, she was a better person than I am at least in my eyes. She tried to do everything for anybody that she could and she also volunteered me to help others too. I/we always wanted to believe in Karma and not that it was the reason we did good things we didn't expect the bad. My wife was my world, my everything, my soulmate, my best friend if there is a descriptive word she was it for me.

My wife who passed 4 months ago too was my everything. I met her at 17, my first love childhood sweetheart. Together for 32 years and married for 25. We grew up in hardship and worked our way till financial independence in recent years. We've been through ups and downs and we shared a lot of bittersweet memories. We have reached a stage when being together was what we enjoyed most. Material things had not much meaning for us. She suffered a lot from ill healths in recent years and there's been a few 'near miss' : severe pancreatitis and breast cancer. One of the purpose of my life was to take care of her and made her feel better. I owed her too much I've planned for early retirement with her next year. With her gone all our dream is shattered into a million pieces. There is no hope and meaning anymore.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 6/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, BBB said:

What gives me hope is that there are people here that have felt the same way but years later they have found a way to continue living. I'm just in my first year so I'm not there yet.

BBB:  I'm in the same boat. So I guess I am in what I am going to call "the gathering phase" where I will look and whenever I see/hear or read it, I will gather up anything positive that might give me hope to hang on and live. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

luckystarhongkong,

I met my wife in 1985 love at first sight for me took her a little longer, we got together in 1986 and married in 1987. We worked hard for many years to build a good life and I lost my "job" in 2007 but in 2009 I ended up as an unpaid caregiver for my friend after he had a stroke. My wife had a very good job which allowed me to do this. In 2016 her mother was diagnosed with dementia and we decided together to care for her in our home and because of the situation I became caregiver for her mother during the day and she was when she came home. Then 2020 hit and my friend needed me to go to his house everyday twice a day instead of 3 days a week at 20 miles each way. My wife was a very hard worker and held her job since 1989. She had the effects of hard work but still did the job. She received a Covid vaccine in February 2021 and started having what she was told was a reaction and it was a good thing and after a few days she called and tried to  find out what the problem was. She kept going to work and trying to find out what was going on, ended up getting tested for pneumonia and covid both came back negative, still kept going to work. When to work on a Thursday almost 2 weeks after vaccine they sent here home she looked terrible. Doctors office called said go to ER and from there everything completely fell apart. She had an "infection" and they kept here, next morning she had chest pains that turned out to be a blockage and the inserted a stent, next morning she got worse they flew her to another hospital and they called me to say her heart and lungs stopped asked me what I wanted I said try all you can. I prayed to God and he said no. They called me and and said she died. I say God said no because I asked for her to live and she didn't so I know that God answers "all" prayers but sometimes the answer is NO. That is my life now.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
3 hours ago, John9 said:

I am trying now to make sure my son is protected from having to deal with some of this when I die

John9:  I am very sorry for the loss of your wife and for your suffering. Something you posted stood out at me; the fact that you are taking care of some things to protect your son I think says a lot about your character and that you care very much about him. Your wife would probably be comforted from knowing this. Maybe somehow it could offer you some comfort in knowing that through your pain and suffering you have found the strength to still care about someone. Perhaps it's a small spark...the will to live. 

I know of an older man who also lost his wife too soon. He promised her he would continue feeding "their" wildlife in the back yard and to take care of her mother. He took care of his MIL for another 10 years. As for the animals, he's continued feeding them every day for 20 years now. He has good friends that he gets together with but I can tell that nothing gives him more comfort and smiles than feeding the wildlife in his yard. He found a way to honor his wife and it has helped him. I draw some hope and inspiration from this man's story. Maybe not right now but I am hoping I will find a way to honor my husband and to enjoy doing it. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

John, I'd like to offer you my deepest sympathy for your loss. I also prayed day and night for my wife to be cured so she can come home. She already had the burden of MS, she didn't need cancer on top of it. I needed her, the children needed her, the grandchildren needed her, yet my prayers weren't answered either. I do ask why, but only He knows. I sure don't know why she went so soon and suddenly.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
luckystarhongkong

John: I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. I understand all the heartache when we think of the sufferings of our soulmates. 

I am not a big fan of those shifting the goalpost explanations some people talk about our losses. Because my wife recovered miraculously from sepsis 2 months ago when she called me that day she had chest pain I was praying and was convinced that the higher being would save her again this was just another trial of our faith. Then when we were in the hospital I knew how serious that was but I kept telling her pray to him until she was rushed to the operation theratre. She said yes that was her last word. She never made it out.

I lived for today for our beloved daughter. I hope you can go on and take care of your MIL. It's hard I understand. But we have no choice. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1