Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Hearing Things

socal2010

• Members

The other day I was walking into the living room and I heard my Mom call my name. It was a distant thing like she was in a tunnel. The TV was on in the living room so maybe I heard something the anchor said and it sounded like my name. But it was so clear though and it was definitely my Mom's voice. I was happy for a minute thinking maybe somehow she could come back. I know how ridiculous that sounds but I'm just sharing. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard your Mom call your name.

Then yesterday, my Dad was drinking some juice and I went to get him something from the kitchen. I hurried because I knew he wouldn't be able to reach the table when he was done drinking. I got back and the glass was on the table. I figured he put it there even though I was surprised he could reach. Then later in the day he asked me if I was the one who helped him put the glass on the table. That kind of gave me shivers.

• Members
missingcurtis

No, you are not nuts.   I  heard my husband calling me one night, or someone calleing me.  It was shortly after he passed away.

I was sleeping and it awoke me.  I remember answering, "what?"

Of course, there was no answer.

I think he was letting me know he was ok.

• Members

You are definitely not nuts!! (Or if you are, you are in good company!)

There have been several times since my dad died in September that I have heard my dad's voice...the first time it was very spooky (I was exhausted and thought I was hallucinating) but now it is something I am very comfortable with.  My mom says she talks to him all the time, so maybe she is the one stirring things up!

We have so many memories of our loved ones, it seems natural that we would feel they were still with us and watching over us. We have heard their voices our whole lives---they stay with us even though the person's body is gone.

Dreams about those we have lost are also interesting...I believe they are to reassure us that things really are okay. When my grandfather died unexpectedly in 1986, my dad dreamed his father had his hat on and was walking away from him down a long hall, then turned around at the very end of the hall and waved.  I think it helped my dad to have some closure about an event that was very traumatic for us.

Archived