Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

People Who Mean Well, But...

Jeff In Denver

• Members
Jeff In Denver

One of my sisters sent me this today.  It actually made me sad.  There is more to the quote than this, but this is how it starts.  She meant well, but to me this exemplifies one of the differences between people who have lost the love of their lives and those who have not.  I couldn't imagine how someone who has lost everything could ever say this.  The past is all we have.  Am I gonna hold onto it?  Yup!  With everything I have.  Is it wrong?  Maybe, but I am not letting it go.

"Let the Past Slip Away"

"Gently, lovingly, leave past moments behind.  You can’t lose love. You don’t need to hang on so tightly. If the lesson has been learned, if it’s time to move on, let the past slip away. Come into the present moment. Discover all that’s there for you."

• Members
claribassist13

I can definitely see why this would have frustrated you/made you sad. This kind of thing just shows how well-meaning yet completely ignorant people are. 

We cannot stay locked away in the past. I mean, we can, but that leads to a whole other host of problems. At the same time, we (and others) cannot ask ourselves to just forget. The past memories are all we have of the person who is no longer with us. We will never forget. Instead, we'll choose to carry these memories into the future with us. They will never be left behind, they will simply help us to shape the future we have left. 

So don't let go, but don't hold on too tightly either. Living in the past is not living at all and, in my opinion, not the best way to honor our loved ones. That being said, we are allowed to take our time with such things. 
Keep in mind that most people mean well. They simply do not have the education to say something productive.

• Members

Hi Jeff in Denver

This Quote used to make me cry.
Now I see it differently

“There is no past we can bring back by longing for it.
There is only an eternal now that builds and creates out of the past something new and better.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

To me " New and Better " doesn't mean being disloyal to ones Loss or Person who they have lost.

Blessings

• Moderators

I find balance is key...I treasure my memories, especially since the time spent with my husband was the best part of my life.  I have no intention of letting them go.  That said, it's important to live in the present moment, otherwise you miss what is there for you here, right now.  This moment is all we tangibly have.  It's also good to plan for the future, so long as we don't spend so much time in the future that may never arrive that we miss living in the now that we have.

People say some things that can be very hurtful in their efforts to make us feel better.

Archived