Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Still difficult

velvettuberose

• Members
velvettuberose

Hello, everyone!

I am glad I found this forum. I hope it will be helpful.

I lost my husband of 8 years in January of this year. He had a heart attack and died in my arms. The shock of my entire existence...

Since then I am trying to cope with his absence the best I can. I have been extremely emotional lately. It is so hard that he is not here with me.

How will I be able to live without him for the rest of my life? 6 months was hard enough, but a lifetime?!!

• Members
Jeff In Denver

It doesn't help you at all, but many of us are asking the same questions here.  The love of our lives was stolen from us.  Not only are they not here, but we are left behind to try and put our shattered lives back together again, dealing with this pain day in and day out.  Dreading holidays.  Turning over thought after thought in ours minds, playing the "what if" game, dealing with the loneliness, sadness, and hopelessness.

Please check out the post that I put up here a few days ago regarding 5 lies about grief.  It really hits home.

Are you seeing a grief counselor?  What are you doing about your emotional state?

• Members
velvettuberose

I read the article, Jeff.

Thank you for replying to my post. Yes, I am seeing a grief counselor. Sometimes, it helps, other times not so much. I cry most of the time. I talk to my friends about my husband, but I think they feel uncomfortable hearing about how I feel. They start with "God wanted it that way." This type of statement does not help at all.

My husband was my life. And now he is gone...suddenly...at 45 years of age. 

• Members
Jeff In Denver

Velvettubrose, I am so very sorry about your loss.   I know that doesn't help, but I really am sorry that you have to deal with this, also.  Do I know what you're going though?  I have only a general idea.

I'm glad that you're getting counseling.  It's hard, isn't?  I find myself crying and being unable to talk.  That's not like me.  It's good that you're doing something.  Talking and writing about it really helps.  

I know what you're saying about your friends and the well-meaning (but annoying) platitudes that we hear from people.  

You summed it up perfectly in just a few well-written sentences.  I don't know if this video helps, but this guy has a system for dealing with grief.   I hope that you are able to get to the point where your husband is always with you, but without the searing pain that you're feeling right now.

• Members
velvettuberose

Thank you, Jeff. It was good information. 

• Moderators

One day at a time.  Instead of "the rest of your life" substitute "today", it helped me.

• Members
velvettuberose

Thank you, Kay. This is what I am doing. 

Archived