Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Am I being selfish?

emmmm

• Members

My father passed away unexpectedly on Sunday. He had had many health problems in recent years, but this was sudden - he went into hospital and seemed like he would be ok the first day and then within another day had died. This meant I missed his death because I live a 24 plane flight away. I have some regrets that I haven't spent more time with him in recent years, but I'm working through this in my head, and by talking to close friends. I feel like I'm making progress, but it is requiring me to do a lot of reflection and I need a lot of space to do that.

My mother however needs me around all the time. I have only been here with Mum for two days and I am feeling claustrophobic. I have a good relationship with my mother but I can't be in her company constantly or I get very upset and irritable, (especially during this stressful period while we are organising a funeral). Every time I say that I need space, she says of course she understands, but then every time I try to take the space she seems to find a reason that she needs me around this time.  I really love my mother and want this to be a time where we feel close to each other, but we are driving each other up the wall.

How do I balance my need for space with my mother's need for my company?

Archived