Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Flickering lights is that common?

DFPHOTO

• Members

Hi group, I'm 51 and I lost my dad in 1994, and my mom just died the end of Jan. being a male, I don't normally believe in after life and that sort of thing, but I do believe we are energy. Here's the weird thing, when my dad died my mom and I had taken a break and went to dinner, he was in a longterm facility after a stroke.

Very sad, but that night we had a light that started flickering for about 15" never before and never again. I thought for sure that was my father. Fast forward to now, and I'm staying at my friend's apt. I've had a few flickering light exp. and they are different lights. I asked my friend about that and she's never noticed or seen any flickering lights, part of me wants to believe it's my mom talking to me but I can't be sure of course.

Tonight Valentine's day, I noticed the light above me flickered about 4-5 times, but it could be due to being dimmed so low... I miss my mom so much but I would like to know if anyone else has had this type of experience.

Thanks Dave

• Members

Dave, so sorry for your loss. I was never a believer of the after life until my mom passed on March 13. Within the first month, I heard my mom call out my name as I was coming out the bedroom. It was clear as day. The house was quiet and I wasn't imagining. I had to turn back and walk back into the room and look around even though I know mom's not there. As I was outside the yard sitting on the grass pulling weed, I felt the slightest touch on my lower back. I thought that it was our dog sniffling me, but, there was no dog, nobody, nothing just by myself. It wasn't the wind either, it was calm that day. There were other instances.

Well, I had experienced lights that went out....not necessary flickering lights though. Year ago when why my sister's father-in-law passed. During the visitation, I stayed behind to baby-sit their baby. They had a 3-way touch lamp in my sister's bedroom. I was helping them fold their clothes in their bedroom. All of a sudden, the lamp turn on from bright to brightest. I thought, "Oh ****!" I finished folding clothes and took the clothes to the other room across to the other side of the house. I turned on the breakfast rooms' light....the light went out. I continued walking across the living room and turned on the hall light and the light went out. I though, "Oh, **** ****!" At this point, I was really scared. OMG! Was it a coincidence? I think not. My brother-in-law thinks it's his father.

Dave, I do believe it's your sweet mom. I believe that our parents are always with us. I miss my mom too. She died on the very same day when she came to the U.S. After 11 months, it just seemed like a dream that she is no longer with us.

Best Wishes

May

• Members

Hi May, I'm sorry for your loss as well, my mom came to the USA in 1961, she said she wanted to die here.... your story was haunting and sweet, what's the oddest PS to this was last night I went to bed about 1230am and I had a weird dream basically a guy was shaking my hand but trying to squeeze my hand if you know what I mean. I sort of faught the guy and my hand went over my head and I woke up not groggy this is now 1am and I saw a white looking figure mainly a head-ish like a white balloon with a figure inside, and I swear it was 4" from my head and then moved about 6' and then vanished, I was sleeping on the floor of my living room and my computer was on flashing as the hard drive was being used. and the glow of the screen made the room somewhat lit. I'm a photographer so I definitely see better than the average person and I'm not what to think of this.... Didn't look or feel like my mom but I have no idea what happened...

• Members
TearsInHeaven

HI Dave, I am not on the loss of parent site but loss of an adult child.  I happened to see your post here. My son died the day after Thanksgiving 2014.  On this past Thanksgiving both my husband and I had an experience.  Our clock radio turned on in the early AM of Thanksgiving playing a song not on the radio by the Fray "How to Save A Life".  It played the words

Where did I go wrong?
I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

The clock turned on and off by itself.  Both of us heard it.  I got up out of bed and when I went into the upstairs hall the light in my son's old room turned on. No one was in the house but the two of us.  We had been having a really hard time dealing with the one year marker date and my son was always a music person.  He worked for a radio station and we used to tease about my music differences.  Then around the beginning of the year we heard music playing again.  Not from anything we could find and not accompanied by lights.  But I have some pretty strong faith and without a doubt it was him reaching out to us.

Your mom is well and happy.  Take that feeling into your heart.

• Members

Hi Dave,

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Mother this past December and I would like to share my story with you. My parents always had a live Christmas tree but as my Mother was scheduled for major surgery on Monday December 7 they reluctantly agreed to put up an artificial one instead. We wanted to have the tree put up before she went in so I went out and purchased a prelit one. It was the type that had 2 types of lights; you could choose color ones or white ones. Sometime after Thanksgiving;I'm not exactly sure what day;the entire family met together,ordered pizza and decorated the tree. The tree was smaller than what we usually had and we had way to many decorations for it.I can still picture my Mom sitting in a chair,going through the decorations choosing what ones would go on the tree and which ones that unfortunately would be left off. My parents seemed to enjoy the convienence of an artificial tree and when I would stop by daily they would have it turned on always to the color lights. They would turn it on early in the morning and leave it on until they went to bed at night. That was something they never did with a live tree;they always worried that it would dry out and burn the house down. I was with my Mother when she left the house on the morning of her surgery and I am absolutely certain that the tree was off when we left.My Mom had her surgery and afterwards I stopped at the house to bring the mail in and when I went into the house the tree was on with the white lights. It surprised me but I thought that maybe it was a touchy switch. I turned it off and left. Things went tragically wrong after my Mother's surgery and she unexpectedly passed on Dec 9.Everyone went back to the house and there was the tree all lit up with white lights àgain. As hard as it was we left the tree up through the Christmas season in memory of my Mother; she loved Christmas so and would of wanted us to.The lights never went on by themselves again for the entire time. We have talked about this among ourselves and some of us take it as a sign from my Mom. The only thing we can't figure out is the fact that the first time it happened my Mom was still alive after her surgery but she did not seem to be doing well at all. My thoughts on this is that someone came to be with my Mom on her final journey and they were responsible for the first time. That is why the lights were the heavenly white ones. Well at least that is what I hope.

Sorry that this is so long and please take care of yourself.

• Members

Haven ... I am totally convinced that someone IS with those who pass on from this life and go "home" to their eternal life.  Not sure if you are a "believer" or if you read the Bible ... but in reading it for myself, it clearly says that we don't leave this world alone.  It says that when it is our time that Jesus Himself comes to take us home.  

I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, 
I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going." 

-Jesus in John 14:1-4 NLT 

As far as signs from our loved ones ... (I base this on my own experiences and beliefs in reading the bible for myself) I believe that those signs that we may get are true blessings and that they really come from God because He promises us that He will bring us comfort during the times that we need it and all we have to do is ask.  I want to make it clear that I am NOT a bible thumper, nor do I attend church ... but I have read the Bible from beginning to the end and there are no co-incidences in that book, and it is very clear on everything about life and death.  That book proves itself over and over again throughout but the key is to read it in it's entirety. Throughout my life I've picked it up and read bits and pieces of it but never really understood it until I read the entire book for myself.  So many people reach out to other sources for comfort.  I know that I did but it was only when I reached out to God that I was given comfort in losing both of my parents that I was comforted. 

I hope this helps in going through the grief of losing a loved one.  Take care everyone and may you be blessed with comfort.

Cindy Jane

• Members
Lindalang2011

I came across your post by googling, and found it fascinating because of my own experience. My mom passed away last Monday, after battling breast cancer for over a year. Well, she lost her daughter (my sister) December of 2013. Mom stayed with sis day and night in the hospital at that time. Me and mom were still not over my sister. When sis passed away, that night I had walked to my van to get something. My sister's headband light had been in my van for months; lost. I found it. It was in a console in the back seat, with the head light shining bright. This never happened before, ever. Now here's where I'm going with this. Mom was sick here at home, in and out of hospitals for the past few months. My kitchen has those long utility lights...2 in a row. Well, months ago, 1 of the lights would go off at least 10-20 minutes at a time. It would happen at certain times. If I fell asleep in the chair and woke up, that light would come back on. Walking out of my daughter's room after getting her to sleep, walking under it, it would come back on. Mom and I used to joke around that it was my sister. Here's the strangest part of all. Mom's final hospital stay, it started happening less and less. But if I was outside on the phone, talking to anyone about mom's condition, I'd come in and the light would be off. When mom passed away last Monday, the light ceased to ever go off again. I have waited and watched...the light remains on. This was after about 3 months of continuously going on and off. Yet it's been 6 days, and the light stays on. I honestly believe my sister was sent here, waiting to take mom home. Now she has no reason to hang around here, as her mom is now at home with her. Thought I'd share this with you. 1 more strange thing happened. As soon as my mom passed, that minute it began raining. It rained day and night nonstop. But on the 6th day....(her funeral), it rained her entire funeral, but as soon as the last word was spoken, immediately the rain stopped and the sun came out again. I hope in some way this inspired you. Our loved ones do live on, and I know it's hard to live without them, but we'll see them again one day. 

• Members

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to the site but I came across this topic and wanted to share some of the experiences I've had in the past month since my father has passed...to preface this:

My Dad used to go out of town quite a bit when I was younger. I was so attached to him and missed him so much when he was gone, but he always told me, and has continued to tell me since I've gone off to college, "I am always with you. Even when we are apart." After I got the call that he had died after a late night class here at school I rushed back to my dorm room hysterically, to find a poem book he had given me with those words written on the inside...

A few weeks after he died, my sister was woken up in the middle of the night by our dog. Our dog had a tumor in one of her hind legs and became unable to jump, but on this night she jumped up onto my sister's bed and was staring intensely at the pendant hanging on my sister's window, containing our father's ashes. After she finally jumped off the bed, my sister was a little afraid, so she turned on her Pandora radio. The first song that came on was a song that inexplicably reminded us both of our father. I was in the Cayman Islands around this time, and had heard the same song playing out of someone's condo as I was walking by...after my sister listened to this song she felt the need to go to her Facebook messages with our dad. She had her iMessage predictions turned on, and she simply selected the predictions as they showed up. What they came together to say was "I'm not going anywhere." 

When my sister told me I was in awe...I had been searching DESPERATELY for something like this. I had been looking for Dad to talk to me through anything. I was obsessing over it. This instance gave me hope that he would show me that he was still with me.

A few more weeks have gone by and I am off vacation and back at school. In the days leading to this past Thursday, I was working hard to get a paper done. I was doing everything I could to stay on top of things and distract myself. Thursday afternoon came around (my father passed on a Thursday night), and I lost it. I was suddenly overwhelmed with the absence. I couldn't stop crying, and I had no idea what to do with myself. I felt completely and utterly alone and lost. So I went to my Facebook messages with my Dad. We had so many, and they were all so sweet. He loved to use the Facebook stickers...Snoopy was his favorite. I frantically typed about 20 messages to him, telling him I was trying to be okay but that my heart was so broken and I missed him so, so much. I begged for more time. One more hug, five more minutes, one more talk, please. I told him I was proud to be his daughter and then shut down the computer to go watch the sunset. As I watched it I talked to him out loud. I told him I was lost. I told him I needed a sign. I needed him to let me know he was still with me. I begged. I cried, told him I wished he was sitting by my side...I told him I loved him as many times as I could without the phrase becoming meaningless sounds...

I went back to my room to browse the internet for pictures or videos of him, since he was popular musician in our hometown and toured with a few famous people. Eventually I stumbled across a video from this past summer from a concert my siblings and I had attended. I happened to click on the video for the song in which Dad pulled us up on stage. It ended with us dancing, bubbles flying out across the stage over blue and red lights, and my father playing a beautiful saxophone solo. It made me smile so much...

After this I went back to my Facebook messages to send my sister the link. I looked over at the tabs of my conversations, and the tab for my father's name had a check mark next to it, indicating that the messages had been read. I panicked and tried to think of who might be logging into his account and reading his messages, only to find that my Dad's account was memorialized and that it is impossible to log in to a memorialized account. It was impossible, technologically speaking, for these messages to have been read. But the read receipt showed up to me, clear as day. I believe strongly that it was dad, giving me what I needed and what I asked for. He was letting me know that he is listening. He never lets me down...

I thanked him on our messages and have not seen a read receipt since, but I believe these signs come when we are least expecting it, but when we most need it.

Thank you Papa...I love you so much.

-Ava Luz

• Members

Thanks to everyone who's posted, and Ava, that was amazing... It's so hard, I had the most vivid dream last night (actually about 6am today) I hate this as we all do.... I've been listening to Jack Johnson to chill me out, I just don't understand how everyone keeps going....

• Members

My brother died a few years ago when I was 19. Our family has always been extremely close. After he died the lights in our house flickered for months. The lights in his grandmas house and his uncles house flickered. My grandma changed the light bulbs in her house and it would still happen. My mom was comforted by it and never tried to change the bulbs. The lights had never flickered before that. And they’ve only flickered once since the 3rd month (I think) after he passed. Me, my mom and my little brother went to get his ashes. We drove from Washington to California. We needed the light on at night to read and the lights in the car started flickering for the whole trip. Again the car light had never done that before and hasn’t since that 4 day road trip. It also hasn’t burnt out so it wasn’t an electrical thing. We went to see a phycic and the first thing she asked my mom is if the lights had been flickering. This woman was truly able to contact my brother. We had many sessions with her. I never believed in the afterlife before. But this has changed everything for my whole family. We were all very close. But now we realize we can still be close. We have a spirit guide on the other side. 

thank you all for sharing your stories. I am so sorry for your loss. I’ve never looked to online for support with this but I’m really happy to hear others that have had similar experiences. I hope that this helps anyone who comes to read. I really never thought that those kinds of things can happen. But it’s very real. There’s so much to this life and the next that is a mystery. But there’s one thing he’s made clear is that it’s a peaceful process. Something really beautiful for the person who dies. Death itself is nothing to fear. It’s only losing people or living a life we don’t enjoy that hurts us most. 

Archived