Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Cat Died Unexpectedly

Panther

• Members

I found out yesterday afternoon that my cat, Kitty, had been found dead across the road in a neighbour's front garden. Since then I've been crying almost constantly.

I wasn't at home at the time by my younger sister had let her out the night before. Kitty didn't come home when she was called back in but no one was overly worried because she doesn't always respond. Only my sister thinks she heard a faint meow that could have been Kitty but then it may not have been her or she may have imagined it. It's horrible to think that she could have been asking for help. But then it may have been too late at that point. We aren't really sure how she died - she *looked* peaceful - no cuts or anything. Although apparently there was a bit of blood coming from her bum bit I have no idea if that means anything.

She was just the sweetest little thing - so loving and affectionate but she was always quite reckless on the road out front. I wish we'd properly made the attempt to keep her as a house cat - she was inside most of the time.

She had started lying under our hedge about a year ago but she looked so skinny that we didn't know whether she was going home to be fed so we started letting her come inside, particularly when it started getting cold/wet out. Eventually we started feeding her and from that moment on she was virtually ours.

We only got her microchip changed (haven spoken to her old owners) a few months ago and I made sure she got a new set of inoculations. I even took out pet insurance only a week and a half ago (which I had the emotionally difficult job of cancelling a few hours ago.)

It just doesn't seem real. She wasn't even three yet. She was meant to become an old lady cat. We buried her last night by the hedge she was init living under, wrapped in a top of mine that she simply ADORED to play with. She was just the sweetest thing. Typically my Mum doesn't like cats but Kitty was special do she loved her just as much as I did and we were Kitty's favourite people. She was like my best friend and my baby all rolled into one cute and fluffy package.

I'm so devastated that she's gone - I keep imagining her doing all her quirky little things and seeing her happy little face - it hurts to see all her stuff around the house. I wish she were still here. I wish she would come and sit on my lap or even meow for food or shove her bum in my face!

It hurts to know that she's never coming back. We don't even know how she died or whether she was in pain. I adored her so much. The thought of going out tomorrow and not having her following me up the road (pretending not to, of course) breaks my heart. I miss her so much. We were only really at the beginning. She was taken far too soon. I even had a package full of stuff for her arrive today, having been ordered last week. It's all just so hard.

• Members

Panther,

I am so very sorry for the loss of Kitty. I've lost several fur babies, and it's never easy. Please know we will be here for you.

ModKonnie

• Members

Hello, my cat of three years died 2 days ago unexpectedly. She has hit by a car and died instantly. I am absolutely devastated, I can't believe she has gone so soon. She was my first & I loved her with all my heart. It hurts so much when I think of her & that I will never get to see her again, kiss or cuddle her again. I have other pets, another cat & a dog....I feel like there's a wedge in between me and my other animals because I feel so guilty that I am giving them the love, attention and care that I should be giving to my little baby. When I speak to people, I feel like I they are judging me because she is a cat but I can't help the way I feel. I try to stay positive but I am failing miserably. As I passed my street I saw something out the corner of my eye on the road, I didn't think it was my baby no way she's not that daft to sunbathe on the road but there was something in my head telling me to phone home. I phoned home and the news hit me hard that my baby had been hit by a car. Luckily my father was gardening and witnessed the whole incident, my baby wasn't on her own at least. I just feel so guilty that I drove straight past her. all I wanted to do was to kiss her, touch her & cuddle her but my father said it wasn't a good idea because of the state she was in. She is now buried in the side of my garden & my father is doing a rockery wih flowers etc to make it look pretty. I feel like I don't want nothing more to do with the pets I have, awful I know but they resemble everything I did for my first baby and it's so painful :( I can't cope, I hate feeling this way.

Archived