Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My 12yr old Parrot Died :( help me please!

Poliex3

• Members

Ive had my beautiful parrot for 10yrs. Her name was Polie (or sometimes I would fool around by saying Polie Wolly) She used to be with a different family that just didn't care for her so I kept her. Point is she died on January 24 around noon. It was so unexpected. She was fine the night before, I remember we were playing around. She would run around the floor or sing her favorite songs or just hang around on my shoulder. But that morning of the 24th we found her at the bottom of her cage with her wings dropped to the floor as if she couldn't keep them in place, breathing fast and her heart beating fast. I rushed her to a guy we usually take her to when she would get sick but as he was just about to start checking her, her heart stopped :( At that instant my heart stopped as well. I cried so much on my way home and my mom was devastated when I told her. 

I feel that my world has ended. I have been crying nonstop, completely lost my appetite, stay in bed all day and all I do is think about her. I feel that it will never be the same now, that I will never be able to smile or laugh anymore. Everything I do reminds me of her, we would workout together even though all she would do was run back and forth, and whenever I cried she would literally wipe my tears off with her beak and give me little kisses on my cheek but now I'm crying rivers out here and she's not here to make me feel better. 

Please someone help me. I feel that I can't go on without her. When I walk past her cage i start crying. She was my sleeping partner, she would fly to me every time I came back from work and start tickling my neck. OMG this is too painful. I get little anxiety attacks I guess I can call them, I just can't breathe and have to stop and take deep breaths in order for me to be able to breathe, it happens when I think about her. I don't know what to do with my life now. Someone out there please tell me I'm not alone in this and that you understand what Im going through, tell me it will get better please :(

This is my adorable Polie.

post-402355-0-15550200-1422413962_thumb.

• Members

I lost my parrot on friday and i know exactly what you are going through. I cannot stop crying. Its unbearable and hard to breathe. I loved him more than anything. He was fine the day before and was just too weak to make it the next day. I dont know what happened but i am crushed. I miss him so much

• Members

I am truly sorry for your loss seemam5 :( I hope you are doing better, although I never really felt recovered from this. I had her cremated and I kept her ashes. I also wear her little ID bracelet that she had on her little foot on my necklace. But I must admit the house is real quiet without her now and it makes cry. Now I'm crying just thinking about her. I just hated the fact that she was suffering but she still fought till the end, and even though she couldn't move anymore she some how managed to get on each one of our shoulders for the last time before passing away. I feel that it was her saying goodbye to us for the last time. Oh how I miss her  :(

• Members

I too have recently loss my precious Umbrella Cockatoo "Cuddles" on November 30th.  It was the worse day of my life. It has taken months to get to a point where I don't cry just remembering her. Of course while typing this I begin to cry again. I have her ashes and also have hundreds of photos that play on a digital picture frame.  She was with me for over 8 years and I cherish all the times we shared. She epitomizes the term velcro bird. She was with me every minute of the day I was home.  I miss her chatter, our playtime and yes, even her screaming she would do every night at about 7 PM. I miss her calling for me when I walked through the door when I came home from work. I miss her sharing a little breakfast with me every now and then, but most of all I just miss her period.  I will never forget her.

It will take a long time to get to a point where life will get back to relative normalcy. You will get to a point where a day or two will pass where you don't dwell on the loss of your precious pet. It will get easier, but as these family members touched our hearts so much, you won't be able "nor want to" forget them.

I am sorry for your loss....

post-401709-0-95211900-1425596877_thumb.

• Members

Its good to know that we all are here to support each other with our losses. Some people are just like "oh please it was just an animal" but once you get your own companion they won't understand. R.I.P to our little loved babies :)

• Members

This is so weird to see... I lost my Cockatiel Noddy two days ago and I just have no idea what to do with myself...

I have had him since I was 6 and so he was a massive part of my life. The day before he died he was perfectly fine, his usual self! I got woke up to him falling to the bottom of his cage, too weak to support himself on his perch, I got him out straight away and tried to give him food or water, he drank but was even too weak to eat his food which was so devastating to see. I went out of the room for about 10 minutes, came back in and he had died. I didn't know what to do, he had deteriorated so quickly and I wasn't even with him when he passed away which really destroyed me. Last night I said goodnight to his empty cage just because I couldn't bare the thought of him not being there, I'm now faced with having to get rid of his cage but I just can't persuade myself to do it... It's still set up exactly as it was on his last day.

Now I'm having to deal with the 'he was just a bird' comments from my friends which is really hard to hear, the first person I told said she was sorry and really did help me but within about 5 minutes of me telling her was asking me what I was up to the next weekend. I just can't cope with people having this idea of him being just a bird and thinking I can just move on from him so easily! I have got into two big arguments already with people who think I'm overreacting. I genuinely feel depressed and so lonely without him.

I understand how lost you must feel, it's so quiet in the house without my little guy, pets are just as big a part of the family as any person is! 

post-402774-0-33458700-1427142875_thumb.

• Members

Benf7,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear Noddy. It must have been so traumatic to experience his death like you did. I have several pets (I am a cat person). Each time I've lost one it just tears me up. I've decided not to have any more pets because the pain of losing them is too hard. I have two cats left, and I will never adopt or save another one. 

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Hi Poliex3

how are you? Its been a few years since you wrote you're old familiar story to mine, tell me you're alright because I feel like you did when you lost your precious Polie 

• Moderators

Lada, I hope you'll start your own thread and share your story with us so we can be here for you.  I'm sorry you also are suffering.

Archived