Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Michele's Life

LynnG

• Members

Several of you have responded to my first post, and asked for more information about by beautiful daughter and her life. Thank you.

My daughter, Michele, was 51 when she died. She taught 2nd grade. That girl went back to school when she was 27 and completed her BA in Education. Graduated with honors. After Michele began teaching she, and her best friend Katherine, started back to graduate school at night. They both received Master's Degrees. I was, and still am, so proud of her. I could have never done that. There was standing room only at her funeral services. I couldn't believe the number of current and past parents and students who came to pay their respects. She was truly loved.

My granddaughter, Meghan, is 24. She's living with her father right now. He is the best of men. Meghan has a disability and isn't able to work anymore.  She and her mother were thick as thieves.  My heart  breaks for her as I watch her struggle with her loss. Meghan is the gift Michele left for us. She looks, and talks,  just like her mother. Makes me happy and sad at the same time.

Michele died from a bowel infarction (blood clot). Her best friend, Katherine and her husband Bob, found her at home on the morning of Saturday, Aug. 9. By Saturday afternoon  she was on complete life support. I asked the Intensive Care nurse to be honest with me about Michele's prognosis. She gently explained the situation to me and to this day I will be forever grateful to her for the truth. I was able to spend the remaining time with Michele. I got to hold her hand and talk to her. A precious gift to me. I signed the consent to remove her from life support Monday morning on Aug. 11, 2014. She had no life to look forward to, only an existence (maybe). Michele and I had discussed this subject several times during her adult life, but it was always about me, not her. Even though I know it's what she would have wanted, I can't imagine I will ever be at peace with it.

I am fortunate to have the gift of a beautiful granddaughter, and time spent with my daughter before she died. Many parents aren't given either. My heart goes out to each and every one of them. There are no words, only loss.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

you did good....please go to Loss of Adult child....peace to you....

Archived