Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

substitutions for lack of emotional support

around_here11

• Members
around_here11

My mom passed away over a year ago from lung cancer. She was battling it for about 2 years. My work was extremely supportive and allowed me to move back in with my dad and brother, who was 17 at the time, so that I could take care of them. I have been able to still keep my job and work remotely from home, which I can't tell you how helpful that has been for a number of reasons.

However, in the months after my mom's diagnosis, I adopted a 4 month old puppy. After she died, I became extremely, almost obsessively attached to my dog. I need him to be near me at all times, I need to pet him or hold him and need him to be near me or next to me in any room of the house. I'm grateful I get to be at home all day so I can be with him. I don't want to go out or on vacations unless I can take my dog with....I'm not sure if this is a normal "after a loss of a parent" behavior. I don't exactly have anyone close to me in my life right now and my dad and brother basically just use me for household chores....so I suppose I'm substituting that lack of comfort and emotional support for the comfort and unconditional love of my dog. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing that extra need for comfort when you really have nobody in your life to help you cope.

• Members

I'm sorry you've had a rough time of it.  

I have people in my life to help me cope, but I still have experienced an extra need for comfort.  I have found that time with babies and dogs has been extremely therapeutic -- perhaps because they exhibit such an exuberance for life, and when they love you, they love you.  After the initial shock of my mom dying, I realized I found petting dogs really healing, and I started borrowing my neighbors' dog every day for walks, and dog-sat for him while they were away, and although now that a few months have passed, I feel less of a draw to do so, I still take him for walks or let him out onto his lead and pet him more than I used to.  Everyone needs someone in their corner.  You could do much worse than your puppy.  :)

Archived