Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my husband

Lkj

• Members

My husband passed away on May 30, 2014 at home. He had been sick with liver cancer for the past 3.5 years. I looked after him at home for his last 2 weeks and watched him slowly fade away. He was 68 and we had been together for almost 30 years. I'm just so sad all the time. I try to keep busy all the time so I don't think about anything. I haven't replied to most letters, emails and phone calls as every time I start to I start crying. I've been back at work since late June as it keeps my mind occupied, most of the time. I have friends and family around, but find I'm just keeping to myself as I don't feel like socializing. When I'm around people I find I put on this facade that everything is fine, but it's not. I can't remember the last "real" conversation we had as most of the last several months revolved around his illness, how he was feeling, keeping him comfortable, trying to get him to eat, etc. I really miss him ...

• Members

i am so sorry for your loss. 30 years is a long time and i can't imagine how hard it must be for you. i just lost my fiance of almost 4 years in a car accident on monday, and i am just lost. i don't know how it could possibly get any easier. i'm sorry, i can't offer any wisdom, i just wanted to offer my condolences, as i deeply empathize with anyone who has gone through this.

• Members

Lkj - I lost my husband of 32 1/2 yrs 1 year 6 months and 13 days ago.  I know how you are feeling.  It is almost as though we lost our life as well.  Everything about our life has suddenly changed.

A month and a half is still very early in your grief journey and to not want to socialize is perfectly normal.  I still don't want to socialize really.  Especially if it is with couples or places we used to go as a couple.  The loss is unbearable.

My deepest sympathies to you for the loss of your husband.

Archived