Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My husband died Saturday night

meashline

• Members

My sweetheart died Saturday night after a heart attack, and a stroke. He was in a coma for a week, and when he came out of it, we thought he was on the mend and were planning for him to go to rehab. Then the hospital just called and said his heart stopped and he was gone.

I'm lost. We were best friends since were 14 and 16. He was 41.

All the thoughts of all that we won't get to do together, and all that he's going to miss just are tearing me apart. Any ways to cope with it? Or is the best thing to do just ride it out?

• Members

Meashline,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your precious sweetheart. Of course you are in absolute chaotic disarray at this point. Some good tips for coping are to cry your heart out if you need to, talk to everyone and anyone about how you feel, make sure you get something nutritious to eat (if you can't eat, try the nutritional supplement drinks), cut down on any caffeine, avoid alcohol, and drink plenty of water. Take a long walk, listen to some music, or do nothing right now. I'm sure you may still be having trouble breathing at times, which is completely normal and okay.

Do you have anyone to lean on? Are you off work? Try your best to take care of yourself and just get through a little at a time.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Meashline -

I am so sorry for your loss.  I had a very similar thing happen with my husband.  He recovered from an illness, moved to rehab and just upped and died his second night there.  At times it seems like a cruel joke to have them recover from something and then die.  It was absolutely shocking.  My husband was 57, we'd been married for 32 1/2 yrs, together for 34.  That was a year and a half ago and at times I am still reeling.  You never really get over it, you just tend to kind of work your way through it however you have to.

You will find a lot of support here in these forums.  I'm sorry that we had to meet this way. 

• Members

I am sorry for your loss.  I lost my husband suddenly 15 months ago.  I hope you can find someone to talk to: a friend, a pastor, or even a local support group.  Local hospice centers often have groups, and they also have resources to help you find people you can reach out to for help.  I know it is so hard, but make sure to eat, rest and drink plenty of water.  Again, my heart goes out to you.

• Members
lonesomemike

I have tried to be helpful to people that have lost their spouse. I know how it is since i lost my wife. But I guess I have been bothering people to much. So I just want to say goodbye I will never bother anybody ever again.

• Members
MissingDaniel

Mike, I can assure you that you do not bother anyone here.  We all understand how hard it is, and how after a while people in your life aren't really there for you like they were at first, and aren't as willing to listen.  I know the people on this site who have suffered new losses appreciate words of encouragement and experience from those who have been dealing with their grief for a bit longer.  So please, share what you can here.  Don't feel like you are bothering anyone.  I'm sorry if others in your life have made you feel that way. Hang in there!  We are here to support each other.

• Members

That is not true Mike!!  I have enjoyed our talking back and forth.  You are an amazing man.  I know it gets kind of quiet here at times but that isn't a reflection on any one person.

I for one don't know how I have made it this far were it not for this forum.  I have made some good friends and met some really fantastic people, you being one of them.  Please don't go...we need you here.

• Members
Joceannora

Meashine,

What helped me was remembering all the times we laughed together, all the silly things we said and did that kept each other laughing. My guy was also my best friend and the biggest love of my life. When you're with family and/or friends try mentioning one thing that your sweetheart did or said that you thought was funny, that you both laughed about. In other words, begin to speak about him to others in memory of him. It reminds people what a great guy you're missing and that they felt or thought he was funny, kind, thoughtful, whatever type of memory you speak of him is. It will help if those around you can share in the good memories.

Archived