Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Share your favorite memory of your child.

Sailormom

• Members

I thought it would be nice if we could share a favorite memory.

• Members

My favorite memory of his adulthood is him showing up at my work wanting to go to lunch. Me buying of course. Lol

he worked 3 blocks from my work. I miss his daily emails.

My favorite childhood memory of him is watching him playing in the sand on beach every weekend.

• Members

My favorite memory of Brian S. Jackson.

When Brian was about 12, my other son, Aaron, Brian and I were driving in the car and talking about marriage.

I said "When Michelle gets married, whoever she marries will become part of our family and she will become part of their family."

There was silence, and then Brian said "Wow, did we get the better end of that deal!"

This still makes me laugh today.

Colleen, Brian's Mom forever

• Members

I have so many lovely memories of Stephen that it is hard to choose just one.  I guess my favorite was when he was going to sleep one evening when he was around 3 or 4. He had said his prayers and he looked at me and said:":You know mommy , I remember being an angel and flying around heaven looking for a mommy. I saw you and asked God to send me to you.  I love you and am happy God did that" How sweet and beautiful was that!!  With tear filled eyes I hugged him and said I was oh so happy too.    Thanks for the thread 

• Guests
Guest Trista's_Mom

Like all of you, I have so many memories it’s hard to pick just one. Sailormom, I also have the memories of just watching Tris at play as little girl. My Aiden is four and with his white blond hair and blue eyes, sometimes when I’m watching him I see my Girl. He is so like her. Colleen, the story you shared about Brian is so funny. It made me laugh. Tris had a very teasing, sarcastic sense of humor at times too. Betty, your story of what Stephen said to you when he was just a little one made my heart smile. I can see why you hold that memory close to your heart.

I have to say one of my very favorite memories is the day that Trista met Aiden, as told to me in a story she wrote for her writing class. Tris was 13 years old when Aiden was born. My son, Zak was 11. Before their Dad, my first husband passed away, we never planned on more kids. He had two when we married so I had two step daughters and we had Tris and Zak. Four was plenty for us. After his death and my marriage to my husband now, I had second thoughts. My husband only had one child from his previous marriage and so we thought… one more. Trista thought we were crazy. Her reasons were many. I knew my Girl though, and knew once he was here it would be different. It was.

After Aiden was born she had a writing assignment, to write about a moment that changed her life. I got to read about her love for her baby brother in her own words. She wrote about how irritated she was that we decided to have a baby at this stage in our lives. Her worry over the headache of a screaming infant, the thought that I would have less time and energy for her and the things she wanted to do, and the fact that I was just “too old” were at the top of her list of reasons why this was a very bad idea. She wrote that Aiden came into the world already messing things up. He was supposed to be a scheduled C-section and instead came two days early, on a day that she had a trip planned with friends. Instead, she spent the day at the hospital. She described the boredom of the wait for it to all be over.

Then it was. The next thing she described was being taken to view her baby brother through the nursery window. She said that everything changed in that moment. She saw his blue eyes and he seemed to look right at her. She fell instantly in love. She saw the rough way the nurse was handling him and it was all she could do not to go through the door and tell her off. Her aunt told her not to worry that the nurse knew what she was doing. She said, “She needs to watch it. That’s my brother!” She wrote that in that moment she knew he was hers and they were connected forever in a deep way and she realized her own ability to love someone she’d only just met.

He was hers. She fed him, rocked, bathed him. She wasn’t afraid to tell me when I was “doing it wrong”. My Tris was always very vocal and she was fiercely protective. If Aiden was sick she was up all night right along with me, worrying for her brother. When Aiden started having seizures at 8 months old, Tris knew how helpless we all felt and she decided to become a pediatric nurse.

Aiden was only three years old when Trista left us last year. He will never know her in the way we all do. I am so glad I have her story of the day she met him, in her own words, for him to read some day. I want him to know how much she loved and adored him.

• Members

BETTY

That is such a touching story.

SHANNON,

That is great that she was so protective of him. I now wish my husband and I would have had more children. Brian was our only and his only, I do have an older child though.

Archived