Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad passed away a week ago from cancer

changer

• Members

I am 22 years old, a month away from graduating college. My father was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer 2 years ago and lost his battle on 3/21/2014. He outlived his initial prognosis by participating in clinical trials but once the cancer metastasized to his brain in December, it had been downhill from there. I cared for him at home until the agitation and hallucinations became too much for my family to handle. He was moved to a hospice facility where he lived his last five days. I can't seem to get the images of him on his last days out of my mind. I am looking for some support and guidance because my friends cannot relate to my situation. I find myself on auto-pilot and I fear I am not coping the way I should be. I feel empty, emotionless, and alone. My dad was my best friend and him and I had a father-daughter relationship that was unbreakable. We loved and respected one another so much. I always knew this day would come but I wasn't prepared for life without him. I think I am still in denial. I have had to be strong for my other family members, which has delayed me from feeling/seeing reality. Please help <3

• Members
EHCsBabyGirl

Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have you in my thoughts and prayers. There is no right or wrong way to grieve. Grief is a many layered process that you will navigate in your own way. Being strong for others is a difficult task to take on.

Allow yourself some slack and above all else don't feel obligated to take on the role of caretaker and strength for everyone else. You will have moments where you are struggling to keep your head above water. Allow yourself the ability to show others the vulnerable and stop thinking you are grieving wrong. Grief and how one deals with is always changing and is not something that can be controlled.

• Members

Sorry to hear this and please take care of your family around you. At least u had the chance to take care of your dad and had some expectation and time to prepare. I wish I have that chance instead of a sudden lost if my dad to heart condition. We are all human so cry and think of your dad when you can it will helps. He's in a happier place without sufferings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived