Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My brother died last month

Jennig32

• Members

Hi - my brother died last month on the 3rd January to an accidental heroin overdose. Its all still very difficult and painful.

The funeral was in February and everyone (other than his family) thinks we should all be moving on now....I find its got worse after the funeral. I really feel for my mum and dad :(

• Members

I am truly sorry for your loss. My brother also died from an accidental heroin overdose on January 26, 2014 and I completely agree with you, it is worse now then it was before the funeral. We had so many friends and family around preparing for the funeral, we were all so distracted and now everyone has gone back to their lives but ours will never be the same again. Our family will never be whole.

You absolutely should not be "moving on" now, it's only been a matter of weeks! Take your time in grieving, this is not something that can be rushed. I believe we will be grieving for the rest of our lives because we have lost someone so close and dear to us.

The most important thing for you to do now is take care of yourself. Be with your family and friends who understand. I'm here if you ever want to talk or vent.

• Members

Thanks Kellie. The way you have described the situation and feelings you have are exactly how I feel. It really does help speaking to people who have been through the same. I miss him so much and wish he was still here. I'm angry he has died from this evil drug. He was a truly amazing guy and so funny. I'm angry that people refer to him as the guy who overdosed on heroin! I suppose it doesn't matter what they think but it does still hurt. x

• Members

Our families have suffered a terrible tragedy. I'm sorry you have to hear people referring to him that way, that's just awful. No matter what circumstances he died in, you and your family will remember his LIFE, that's what's important. Your brother sounds like a great guy and he is obviously so loved and so missed. My brother was so funny too, I will miss his laugh and his smile. Heroin turned him into someone I didn't know or like and it took his life away...it just seems so unfair.

I do believe in an afterlife and I believe our brothers are safe and happy and at peace and always watching over us. They loved their sisters and they knew how much we loved them and I think they will watch over us and guide us forever. Saying "he is with God now" doesn't help much when we so desparately want them here with us. It hurts so much.

Keep your chin up and make your brother proud!!

Archived