Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What do you use to lift your spirits, when saddness bring them down???

traveler1959

• Members

Today on the way home from work  I stopped and bought a red rose, to place on my wife's grave for Valentine's day. I visit her grave about once every two weeks to see if it needs tended to. I have always believed that when someone dies their spirit (what made them who they were) leaves their body, and what is left is just a shell of the person you loved. so I have never cried while I was at the grave until today. So when I got home I was so sad about coming home to an empty house, I had to go to the PC and do what  I always do to bring  my spirits up. I get on you tube and type in Zac Brown Band and play two songs of his, "Toes" and  "Knee Deep" with Jimmy Buffet. For some reason those  two songs always bring me out of my saddest, I don't know if it is the tune   or what the songs are about, or maybe it is just the video, but it works for me.     

Does anyone else want to share what they use to help bring themselves out of saddness?

• Guests
Guest Kirbibizzle

That is a wonderful tribute to your wife, traveler1959. My dad was basically my partner, we were inseparable. Sadly, I wish I could say that my dad has a grave, but he wanted things done simply and chose to be cremated. That's how he was at all times: simple and carefree, he had stayed that way ever since he retired.

Though his body is gone, I do feel his spirit with me at times. I talk to him out loud every single day. I hope he can hear me. I also write to him in a little Word document. If they indeed get the internet in Heaven, I'd like to think he is reading my posts on this forum too. It makes me feel slightly better to know that the more I talk about him, the more other people may relate to my story and might even feel the impact and difference me made on my life.

I do the same thing by listening to music as loud as humanly possible through my headphones. I want to drown out the world and all the thoughts of missing him dearly. Basically any style of music that my dad didn't like is what I will play, he mostly listened to country (he loved the Zac Brown Band, especially the song "Chicken Fried") and the super old timers music, most of which I had never heard of until he played it. As long as what I play is anything current and mainstream, there's no way that I can be reminded of him by listening to it, which would instantly make me cry otherwise.

• Members

When I am really down, I usually call someone. Not to cry to them. But it just generally gets me out of my down mood if I talk to one of my good friends.

Archived