Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Annie_

• Members

Okay, I thought of this a while ago and probably should have started the thread then but I didn't.  So now I am.  :rolleyes:

My husband always changed the air filters on the AC returns in the house on the first of each month.  So January 1st, two weeks after he passed away I remembered it needed to be done.  I found the replacement filters in the garage, got out the ladder, and did it myself for the first time.  As I got down off the ladder I thought "I did it, I actually did it" and I was a bit proud of myself.  So, obviously not a major deal, but for me it was a "little victory".  (I changed the filters again at the beginning of this month, but it really was the first time doing it that was the accomplishment.)

Another "little victory" happened today.  I called to cancel my husband's credit card and it turned out to be a much process than I was expecting.  Once I got past the automated system and to a real live human it was really simple.  I didn't have to send them any documentation at all and they are going to mail me a confirmation that it is closed with nothing owed.

I'm sure there were a few others in between these two, but since I hadn't started a place to write them down I've already forgotten.  I want to be able to look back on this thread when I feel like I just can't keep dealing with things anymore and see all the things I've been able to do on my own--maybe it will help.

• Members

I can relate completely, Annie. I felt that way when I repaired our John Deere lawn mower by myself. Or called AAA to have Tom's truck started and then drove it up to the auto parts store and had them replace the battery (free of charge, by the way, because it was still under warranty).

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

• Members

My husband loved working in the yard and had told me before if anything happened to him he wanted me to find a gardener to maintain everything the way he kept it.  I wasn't able to even think about trying to find someone at first.  Even once I had recommendations for several people, I'd try to pick up the phone to call one of them but couldn't because it was too painful to admit that he wasn't here anymore.

Well eventually, I did have one day where I called everyone on my list of recommendations and I think I've found one who will be a good fit (willing to do the work and is familiar with native plants). I won't know for sure until after they've actually worked a session, but I feel comfortable with this person and I'm hopeful it will work out.  Just getting this set up feels like an accomplishment because it was so difficult to even start the process of finding someone.

Archived