Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Am I going crazy?

AuntB27

• Members

I lost my mom recently, and some days I feel like I'm LITERALLY going crazy - like losing touch with reality. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like nothing matters. I've even caught myself slipping up at work, or not even caring if I continue to have a job. Those aren't normal feelings for me.

Am I alone on this one?

• Members

Hi

I´m really sorry for your loss :( it´s horrible losing a parente and no, you are not going crazy, what you´re feeling is completely normal, the shock is so immense that it throws you off balance. As time goes by, you´ll feel things differently, even though you remain sad, you´ll be able to cope with it better while at work.

Hang in there 

• Members

I feel these same things. I am distracted. A week or two after my mothers death I drove my car over a concrete lane divider and was lucky it only tore the plastic shield between the engine and the ground. I was on my way to pick up my mothers last piece of furniture and had to stop at a friends to use his truck. I opened the porch door knowing there was a large dog on the other side, who ran off into the snow but didn't bite me. Not your effective guard dog.

Take it easy and go slow on your tasks; be very deliberate, and try to feel the depths of your grief without stuffing it.

When I hit the concrete divider I was thinking how awful to be picking up that last piece of furniture my mother n I had had between ourselves from my youth for fifty-four years.

• Members

Thank you for the response, and it's very nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling like I'm 'losing' it. 

It's just so strange because I've always been a very responsible/got-it-all-together kind of gal, but lately I've been just a mess. I'm working on making myself be 'ok' with the feelings that I've had lately.

• Members

AuntB27,

you are NOT going crazy. I understand why you might feel that way and I feel the same most days too. My mom passed away almost 4 months ago and I feel like i've just started the grieving process as i'm settling back in to my "normal day-to-day activities". I can't focus on tasks at school, I'm very depressed and feel so much emptiness without her. I find myself crying at the smallest things and usually everyday on the drive home. People will say it gets better but I don't think it ever will. I think the absence of your mother will always be felt but you get used to the comfort of your memories. Find comfort in the fact that you are not alone.

Perhaps, you should talk to your work about a taking a small leave of absence? If that's a possibility it may be a good time for you to take up a new hobby or just have some time to yourself.

Thoughts are with you.....

Tracey

Archived