Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Is it normal for people grieving to create health problems?

traveler1959

• Members

Just in the last two weeks I have been to the Dr 3 times. first time I had the flu and I missed 3 1/2 days of work, the whole time I couldn't  rest, I had problem with anxiety and I couldn't  just sit still, just wanted to pace around the house and could never sleep more than two hours at a time and never got more than 5 hrs a day. I went back  to work Monday and the whole time time I was there I had a cold sweat and was having a hard time concentrating on my job so  after 6 hrs of that, I had them to check my blood pressure and it was 150 over 110 so then I went home.  So that Day I seen the Dr again and she started me on something for high blood pressure and the anxiety and Xanax.

I took care of my wife the last two weeks of her life and while I was trying move her around I pulled a muscle above my left hip, it would just fare up every so often and it was never more than just a little sore.

I went back to  work the day after the Dr put me on the blood pressure medicine and I done well all night but it seem that  the muscle above my hips was hurting a little more normal. Well on the way home from work I stop to get some gas and I made about 3 steps from my car and it felt like someone took a knife and stabbed me right above the hip, the pain was so bad that I fell to my knees. So I went to the Dr again that day and they gave me a  anti-inflammatory drug, a cortisone shot and   some pain pills then told me stay off work for the rest of the week.

Has anyone else been having health problems while they are trying to deal with the death of a loved one?????

• Members

Unfortunately, I have no answer...

however I can relate to the way you feel..

I am very young and I haven't lost somebody so special yet. It was very close though.

I am dealing with a lot of problems outside of my emotions

I can't focus on my schoolwork (week of mid-term exams)

I lose my breath a lot at random times (almost like anxiety attacks)

I have been getting sick and throwing up almost like a flu

I don't know if it is all because I am scared. My boyfriend attempted suicide and is now in a facility similar to rehab and I can't talk to him. I don't know how I am supposed to handle this. We have dated for 11 months and I know I am young but when I met him he took all my broken pieces and put them back together. I understand that I am too young to love but love is the only word I can use to describe the way I feel towards him. Any advice on how to handle this?

• Members

Unfortunately, health problems are a common side effect of grief.  My doctor told me this is because we don't sleep well, we don't eat well, our stress levels are too high, we're probably not exercising properly, etc....  Apparently people experiencing grief have difficulty finding balance with our physical beings also .... we eat too much or too little... we sleep too much or too little....  etc....

And many caregivers have physical issues related to caring for their loved one.  This is because we sleep in chairs (or elsewhere to be close), spend many hours with tense muscles from stress and over exert ourselves assisting our loved one.  Caregivers also have problems refocusing the energy they spent taking care of their loved one to caring for themselves.  I've been told that the inability to refocus that energy is frequently related to survivor's guilt. 

So is it any wonder that we feel like crap? 

• Members

Kelseyy, I really don't know what to say, I am sure he wants to talk to you too.

I know  you being young, patience is the hardest thing to have, but right now that is what he needs from you, he needs time to straighten things out and get his mind right. The best thing you can do is to keep yourself healthy for when he gets out. I'm sure he'll need you  to lean on as a friend. 

• Members

Alone,   Thank you I needed to hear that.  It just seem like I'm just falling apart.

• Members

Traveler1959 - you are welcome and please be sure that your doctor knows about your loss and about the special care you provided to your wife.  Some doctors are willing to suggest some nontraditional care to go along with medications.  For example, my doctor suggested massage and some nutritional supplements.  I haven't done either of these yet but I keep both on my list of possibilities.  You never know what might work.

Please take care of yourself. 

Archived