Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Is it worth going to a counselor?

backyarder1

• Members

I'm having a really hard time handling my grief right now and I wonder if it is worth going to a counselor? Has anyone has any success with that? Has a counselor helped anyone get through some of the rougher stages of grief?

• Members

I would say yes it is worth it.  If you can find a counselor you are comfortable with--go for it. Psychologist can be really good at helping people work through personal probelms, major life changes, etc.  I've been to one appointment so far and found it to be more useful than the grief support group I visited a while back and invidiual grief counseling provided by hospice combined. I plan to keep going to this counselor for a while.

• Members

In early December I went to a hospice based bereavement group.  The facilitator of the group is one of the hospice counselors.  I spoke with her after the group ended and she offered to see me for a few one-on-one sessions.  These sessions (only 2 so far) really did help if for no other reason than I could say all the things I've been thinking.  It didn't matter whether what I said was good or bad, factual or perceived, crazy or sane.....  I call it "verbal vomit" where the words just need to come out but you haven't let them fly because you aren't in a safe place.  This counselor did not judge me, she listened.  Counselors are bound by confidentiality so I didn't have to worry about sharing intimate details or thoughts that no one else needs to know.  She did warn me that if I said anything that would indicate that I was contemplating harm to myself or others she would have to take action. 

So, for me, these sessions were valuable because I could say things that I can't say to anyone else without harming or worrying my audience.

• Members

I haven't had counseling specific to grief but what I have had has been helpful.

Archived