Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Empathy vs. Sympathy - a very short film

andysgirl

• Members

Something we can all relate to I'm sure. I know it hit home for me.

If link doesn't work go to YouTube & search RSA Shorts, and look for the one called The Power of Empathy.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day & hope that you all have a person in your life that empathizes with you, regardless if they've been on this difficult journey or not.

• Members

I really liked that video. I especially liked when she said that empathy is when people draw near to you. The tricky part for me in the early stages of my grief was the tendency to push people away thinking that no one could possibly help me. I'm now at a point that while it is true no one truly knows the depth of my grief, I have been embracing the people that extend empathy with me. These are the friends and family that I need the most.

• Members

This makes all the sense in the world!! I feel like I should send it to all my co-workers...lol!!

• Members

WOW! The message about "at least" really hit home with me. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told "at least Tom was in his sixties" as if that's still not too young or too soon. Or, "at least you were married to Tom for 20+ years" as if that was long enough. Or, how about "at least the end was quick for him and he was sedated" as if that makes his passing okay. Or, "at least he's not in pain anymore", no all the pain is now mine. I could continue on the "at least" for hours.

Adding those two words - "at least" - diminishes whatever follows.

• Members

I thought so too, I posted on fb & thanked my friends who knew the difference between the two. In past I'm sure I was guilty if doing the same thing & maybe not realizing it, but now, going through this, I'd like to think I'm more aware of my actions because I know 1st hand h

• Members

Hit reply too soon...

I know 1st hand how hurtful this can be and the 'at leasts' diminish everything. At least nothing, it doesn't make it easier. There were quite a few people I wanted to send this to & say thanks for nothing. But I won't :)

Anyway she's got some talks on YouTube about different things and a book called Darling Greatly that's supposed to be good. It's not about grief or anything I don't think - more about behaviour, our actions etc.

• Members

hihi. I liked this... so true though. And I think I've been in the wrong on this myself in the past. I do know now that sometimes it's even better to get no response at all... than the "at least" type kind.

Archived