Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Not having my brother for Christmas

atreehouse

• Members

My family aren't religious so we never took Christmas too seriously. It was always just about being together as a big happy gang but this is the first year we have had Christmas without my brother who was killed in Afghanistan. It has been a horrendous time and is only made worse seeing all the other happy families together. Bringing in a new year doesn't signify a positive change or inspire me to move forward, it just saddens me to think we won't ever have him back.

• Members

Atreehouse,

My brother was killed two days before Christmas many years ago. The first year of course was a mindless blur of horror for the family, but by the next year, we were all dreading Christmas and no one wanted to deal with it. We did anyway. It got better--much better.

I know it's no help, but in time, you will be able to replace all the negative thoughts and images of your brother with happy and fond memories. You will be able to smile, and you will find a new normal for the Holidays. Perhaps starting some kind of memorial tradition may help you deal with his not being there on the holidays.

We will be here for you.

ModKonnie

Archived