Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my mom 10 days ago

laneybc

• Members

I lost my mom just ten days ago. Because I have battled depression and anxiety for many years I am concerned about coping with my grief and working through it in a healthy manner.

The upcoming holidays concern me and I am still trying to decide how much I am going to celebrate and how much I will let go this year. I have attended one Christmas dinner and it went fine. No decorations up in the house but I may try to put a few things up. Christmas sons frequently make me cry. Both of my mother's parents died at Christmas time and she always disliked Christmas tiem because of that. Ironic that she would also die leading into the Christmas season. Her brother (my uncle) is also dying of cancer now.

I am trying to keep an eye out for my 83 year old father and ensure that he is getting his needs met as he still lives at home but is not an outgoing or very social person. I don't know how to get him involved in life again after spending every day for the last four years visiting my mother.

• Members

LaneyBC, are you a spiritual person? Perhaps you can get started socially and take your father by attending a few spiritual services or join a depression or grief support group. Christmas songs are sad, for the most part. They always make me sad, but then again, my brother died in a car wreck when I was 14 on December 23, so Christmas has always reminded me of that. Lots of people choose not to put up decorations simply because they are an inconvenience for many people. Don't feel bad about it. I'm glad you had a Christmas dinner that turned out okay. We will be here for you--ModKonnie

• Members

So sorry for your loss. In regard to the holiday season and decorations and everything else that goes along with it. I don't think that there is a right or wrong thing to do. I lost my mom a couple of months ago and no decorations here but I am going to make a Christmas Day dinner for my dad, sister and her family. I am planning on turkey, cabbage rolls but I warned them all that it may be a simple casserole .... just depends on how I am feeling that day. I am totally taking it one day at a time and sometimes one moment at a time.

Archived