Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my Mother

lauren21801

• Members

I lost my mother on October 6, 2013 of Liver Failure. She had Cirrhosis of the Liver. She was an alcoholic for 10 years. She went through rehab and can out sober in 2000. The damage was already done, but was able to continue to live a normal life without alcohol. She began working with me at my law firm and was very happy. I got to have a relationship with her. (I was 18 when she became sober in 2000). She retired in May and began to have a "social" drink (maybe one every so often). About a month before she died, she began drinking about two glasses of wine a day. With her current liver status, this was fatal. She went to the hospital and was in the ICU for 9 days before she succumbed to her disease. She was 61 years old. It will be two months this Friday and it seems to get harder. I just want to hear her voice again. I want to hug her again. I just don't know what to do without her. I miss her more than anything..

• Members

Lauren, I am so very sorry about your loss of your mother. I am an Addictions Recovery counselor, and I know that your mother was a strong and courageous person, and she really fought a great battle to stay sober for all these years. I am so glad you got to have a good relationship with her. I know it is hard now without her. One thing you can try is writing to her. Tell her in a letter (or letters) what you want to tell her. I know that sounds strange, but it really does work. We will be here for you--ModKonnie

• Members

So sorry for your loss lauren. Konnie is right! I lost my mom a couple of months ago and I wrote a letter telling her things that I wish I had told her. Things that she already knew but I either didn't tell her, or didn't tell her enough times. It really helped ... and still helps because I have added more to the letter with Christmas season upon us. I just felt like sharing more with her.

Archived