Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

With me Now

KatherineK

• Members

My brother died by suicide 10 weeks ago this Thursday.

My family is moving, we can't stay in the house where it happened. And although at first I felt the same way as my parents, I felt like we had to run away from it as fast as we possibly could, I realized something new a few days ago that I cannot shake. I will never be in another house that he lived in, for the rest of my life. That thought shook me to my bones. And it hurt so bad, and still cuts me so deeply.

But now I begin to understand, his memories do not stay behind when we leave, the memories follow us forever. He is with me now, he is with me here, and he will be with me wherever I go.

• Members

KatherineK, You are right about the memories always being with you. My father died in my childhood home, in my room. When we sold the house, I felt as though I was shutting a door that could never be opened again. It was very hard to deal with. However, things have a way of working out for the best, and now my mother lives less than a mile from me instead of more than an hour's drive. So, I wish you and your family well. Have you already found a new house? --ModKonnie

Archived