Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Counselling helping to deal with grief

Sian-danielle

• Members
Sian-danielle

My boyfriend was killed in an RTA 15 weeks ago and I am finding things so difficult. I have not been able to go back to work properly since his accident. I'm finding doing a lot of things difficult to do and just want to curl up and hide from the world. My family and friends want me to go to counselling. What are people's thoughts on this, does it help?

• Moderators

I'm sorry for your loss. Yes it can help. Certainly you have nothing to lose and maybe a lot to gain. There are "groups" where small numbers of people get together with a counselor and share, and 1 on 1 with a counselor. Either/or can help, depends on you and the others involved. Mine helped a lot. I strongly encourage you to try; why not? And if you try one and it doesn't pan out (pls don't expect immediate results necessarily either), try another. Best to you

• Members

my experience is that it helped me no more than talking to my friends. I am lucky to have friends who are wise and intelligent. I do not know you or your friends. It may be possible that a counselor may be a better bet.

To me 15 weeks is still "in shock" as I think of it. There is nothing anyone can do or say to make it easier so at least knowing that will reduce your expectations that something will come of it.

I also decided to try a medium (I'm a core science maths guy) even though I expected that it would be pointless I saw no harm in trying. It was an interesting experience and I found her actually more compassionate and understanding than the professional help counselor. So from that perspective I felt that it was a better experience. Just because the counselors sit in with the medical profession does not make them better at being compassionate and helpful. I left the medium feeling "no, she didn't get in touch with Anita" but somehow better in myself.

Just be cautious of anyone wanting to see you as a source of money. I was cautious of course with the medium, but was surprised to find that the professional counselor was seeming to be that way.

best wishes

Archived