Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of My Great-Grandfather

ModKonnie

• Members

Hello, I joined this site for the sole reason of trying to get through and understand my predicament. When I was 8 years old..... I lost my dear Great-Grandfather; whom I was very close too.... To heart disease....That was 10 years ago..... I'm 18 now. But about a week ago I began to act very strange..... After I had broken up with my most recent relationship; I began having anxiety attacks and SEVERE depression. Just as well, I began obsessing over death and what it all meant and what it meant for me... I became very confused and scared, and even have so much anxiety that I can't sleep by myself; I have to have my father come inside and sleep with me. I've also completely lost my appetite and haven't had a proper meal in weeks; feeling sick to my stomach every time I put food in my mouth. I'm also constantly afraid of dying, and having my loved ones die..... Staying up and tossing and turning violently in bed over it. I've even thought about taking up smoking or drinking over how much anxiety and depression I've been having. And I feel like I'm driving myself insane, and feel like I can never leave my father's side. But I did realize last night..... That I never actually grieved over my Grandfather; in fact.... I've never once visited his grave, absolutely refusing to do so. I suppressed my grief and went on, trying my hardest NOT to think about it...... Why is this popping up now? And why is it making me behave SO very strangely?

• Members

RR12, Do you think the breakup has anything to do with the reactions you are experiencing? I'm certainly no expert, but a break-up of a serious relationship is a loss, and the loss of your grandfather may be resurfacing because of your break-up and because you never dealt with it. Fear and anxiety are very normal feelings during grieving. Please don't take up smoking or drinking--those are terrible habits to kick, and they don't do anything for anxiety or depression (they only make them worse). Instead, try walking or exercising (exercising releases brain chemicals that help you feel less stressed, more relaxed and lift your mood). Nightmares and unable to sleep are also normal during grieving. So, what do you think about the possible connectedness between the break-up and the delayed grief of your grandfather? --ModKonnie

• Members

Well, I thought this at first...... But the person I was in a relationship with was a long-distance relationship; nothing too close, we never even saw each other. However, it was the longest relationship I've ever had though..... I also remembered I have surgery soon. So that may be adding to the mix.

• Members

Oh, I hope the surgery is not too serious.... Were you particularly close to your grandfather? Any favorite stories you'd like to share? --ModKonnie

Archived