Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Finally got the autopsy results

needy

• Members

Five months ago after my husband's passing the coroner told me they didn't find anything on autopsy and they had to do further testing to determine the cause of death since it might be genetic etc etc. I remember when she told me this, it was a total shock I think I cried for another 2 days straight. She told me it could take 6-9 months. I have called the coroner office since and I couldn't even get out my husband's name and the receptionist would say it takes 6-9 months. Not knowing for 5 months has been very hard on all of us.

Last week I had an appointment with my family doctor and he called the coroner office. Yesterday I received the report that was printed the day my family doctor called. They did find something on autopsy. My husband died of significant blockage to the left anterior descending coronery artery, also known as the widow maker.

How can the coroner office have screwed up so badly? How many other families are still waiting for results. I am going to file a complaint but some of my friends think I should go see a lawyer. Part of me agrees and the other part just wants to heal. Any advise.

• Members

Needy - just out of curiosity what do your friends suggest you accomplish by seeing a lawyer? Did you have to pay for the autopsy? Would you get the fee back? Or because of the length of time it took? I personally would just let it go, but that is me.

I didn't have one on Jerry. He had soooo many surgeries that I just couldn't see him being cut up again. His cardiologists said he probably died of a pulmonary embolism or asperated a mucas plug. His death certificate says cardiac arrest but his heart doctors don't buy that. Jerry had the heart of a 22 yrs old guy and it was perfect, no blockages at all.

Anyway, I'll support you in whatever decision you make.

• Members

All my friends agree that someone in the coroner office screwed up big time and their screw up did cause pain and suffering. Family members think we should just lodge a complaint. It is friends and my coworkers that think that I should go see a lawyer, they think I should do a law suit. No I didn't have to pay for the autopsy, but they did have the cause of death at autopsy but for some reason the coroner said they didn't know the cause of death. I am just worried about all the other families out there that might be going through the same thing, that is why I think a complaint is at least required.

• Members

i cant comment on the idea of lawsuits. I dont pretend to understand the american legal system at all, so ill leave that to you to decide with better advice than i could give. I would say tho, that you should make a formal complaint as you obviously arent happy with the performance of the coroner. One thing i will say, is dont let yourself be pressured into doing something you dont agree to. All the best to you in your decision, needy.

• Members

Just my opinion- but I'm not sure why you would want to sue. I understand that you have been upset and waiting for this, but would suing do anything to take away the discomfort you have been going through? It's hard to say why the cause of death was missed initially. I would consider filing a complaint, and I would want to get an adequate answer from the coroner's office regarding the matter, but the decision to sue is up to you. I may be wrong about this, and I may be in the minority on the issue, but I'm just the type who wants to let things lie that can't resolve something that is really painful. It seems to draw out the pain and make it last longer.

• Moderators

needy - well at least you know. Regarding medical incompetence.......ahh don't get me started.....

I agree with the others who question the point or value of a lawsuit. A complaint for sure - maybe the threat of a lawsuit just to poke those fools in the ribs (they have it coming IMO). But I question if it would be worth the additional stress to you. Just IMO

• Members

I agree. What is the point of a lawsuit, it is only going to cause me more grief. I will be placing a complaint with the Death Investigation Oversight Council so hopefully no other families have to go through this.

Thanks again everyone.

• Members
MissingDaniel

Needy - I think you've made a good decision. A complaint will bring attention to the mishandling of your case, but you won't be drawing out your grief even more going through the very long and trying process of bringing a lawsuit. I'm a paralegal, so believe me, I know how that goes. Those things can drag out forever!

I'm glad you at least know now, though. One step further in the procoess of healing perhaps. Blessings to you!

• Members

Needy - just out of curiosity what do your friends suggest you accomplish by seeing a lawyer? Did you have to pay for the autopsy? Would you get the fee back? Or because of the length of time it took? I personally would just let it go, but that is me.

I didn't have one on Jerry. He had soooo many surgeries that I just couldn't see him being cut up again. His cardiologists said he probably died of a pulmonary embolism or asperated a mucas plug. His death certificate says cardiac arrest but his heart doctors don't buy that. Jerry had the heart of a 22 yrs old guy and it was perfect, no blockages at all.

Anyway, I'll support you in whatever decision you make.

Jude, for what it's worth, here is what I found out about "cardiac arrest" when I asked my doctor. He said that is not a valid cause since we all die of cardiac arrest (the heart stopped beating), a symptom not a cause. This is not the same thing as a heart attack, and if it is the only cause listed it is is a cop out when the real cause could not be determined. In my wife's case, there were other causes listed, he said disregard the cardiac arrest. It helped to hear that since I thought it meant heart attack, which it wasn't.

• Members

I hear ya Bill. Which is why I don't buy it. Jerry had a very bad case of pneumonia which to someone with a compromised immune system can be very bad. He was in bed for 4 months. At one point he started bleeding out internally and they had to just keep pushing blood and hope that it would stop by itself. It did. He survived so many things which is why I have such a hard time with his death. I think that he had a blood clot from the bleed and when they started getting him up to stand and walk a little between the bars it broke loose. That is what my heart is telling me happened. Jerry had a heart transplant and the cardiologist were always checking him, there wasn't a thing wrong with his heart. The cause of death was something else all together.

Jude, for what it's worth, here is what I found out about "cardiac arrest" when I asked my doctor. He said that is not a valid cause since we all die of cardiac arrest (the heart stopped beating), a symptom not a cause. This is not the same thing as a heart attack, and if it is the only cause listed it is is a cop out when the real cause could not be determined. In my wife's case, there were other causes listed, he said disregard the cardiac arrest. It helped to hear that since I thought it meant heart attack, which it wasn't.

Archived