Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost Both Parents at a young age.

Jennifer309

• Members
Jennifer309

I lost my father to cancer when I was 14 years old. When I was 18 my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. After 9 long years she couldn't fight anymore. We lost her in August 2012. I'm lost without her, sad my kids wont be able to know them, and terrified I'm next to get cancer. I'm only 28 and have seen both my parents pass. I have two kids ages 2 and 5 and I want to be here and be healthy enough to watch them grow up and have kids of their own. I know it's not guaranteed I will get cancer but I can't get it out of my head.

• Members

Jennifer, I am so very sorry about the loss of both of your parents. While there is no guarantee you may or may not get cancer, there are tons of things you can do to try to prevent getting it--including eat healthy, get regular medical checkups and exercise. Hopefully, one day in the near future, we will be able to wipe out some cancers--certainly they've made so many medical advances in my lifetime that within yours something great will happen. My identical twin sister had ovarian cancer (and miraculously lived through it thanks to the fact they caught it so early) when she was in her 20s--and I have an astronomically high chance of getting it. While it worries me, I have not let it ruin my life. Instead, I take precautionary measures, including extra medical checkups. So, just keep trying to go forward, but let your worries be a strength and a plan instead of a chain that drags you down. Se will be here for you--ModKonnie

• Members

Jennifer309,

I understand. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 31 and died at 35. I was 5. Some days I'm convinced I'm going to get cancer like she did. You can't waste your life being scared of dying though. Also, look up cannabis oil as a treatment for cancer. It sounds crazy, but It certainly eased my mind.

Archived