Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Helping my brother

HannahJ

• Members

My father died when I was six years old, and my brother was freshly four and has few to no memories of him. I'm twenty three now, and recently I've been trying to figure out this unfigurable situation. I see how hurt my brother is, how he misses the connection. While I have a few more memories, I think I've come to terms at a younger age. I've come into the habit of asking people what the best advice their father ever gave them, what he taught them, to try to compile it for my brother. I've started working on a documentary about loss and growing up/continuing to live after the loss of a parent.

I was wondering if anyone would like to open up, talk, help me, tell me things.

I'm a big sister, and there's nothing I can do for my little brother.

• Members

Well I had my dad a lot longer til I was 28 and I was lucky but even then I wish I had him for longer. It's not fair and we cannot understand why this has happened but I think you are doing so well and thinking of everything so logically. It's hard for you brother , I couldn't imagine not knowing what my father was like if I never got to meet him. The only thing I can think of for you today is get the people you know around you who knew your dad and ask them to remember stories about them and write them down and give it to your grip other. Stories about his character and a boom filled with pictures and little stories for him t keep. It's the only thing you can do to kee his memoy alive and your brother will learn what sort of character he had. I hope that helps.

• Members

Sorry a few spelling mistakes: my point is to make a book filled with stories and pics it might help him.

Archived