Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

what do you do on the anniversay date (angel date)

kirasmom

• Members

Just wondered what people do on the annivesary date of the death of thier child? I am coming up to 2 years when my beautiful 17year old daughter was found floating in the bathtub- apparently from an undetected cardiac arrthymia- and am taking a vacation day that day- but other than going to the cemetary am not sure what else to do that day. Is there any thing special any of you do on that day?

• Members

Might want to spend some time just sitting in an empty church reflecting. Could also spend some time looking through old pictures or videos. Treat yourself to something special that day, hair cut, day spa, you deserve it. Maybe start a journal of the path you have walked the last two years. Plant some flowers. Just take some time and be nice to yourself, the journey you have been on hasn't been an easy one.

God Bless,

Al

• Members

I always make it a point to spend the day with my other children because I know they are hurting as much as I am. It has been 10 years since my oldest son was killed.

• Members

First let me say I'm sorry for your loss. What I personally do is visit my son early in the morning. Then when I get home I like to take a few minutes looking at pictures. Then my wife and I spend the day taking care of each other. Going to dinner or a movie. Last year we went and got tattoos. Just do what you need to do to make it through the day.

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

I haven't reached the anniversary date yet. For me, I think it will be just surviving the day. My mom often lights candles in remembrance and reads some scripture from Psalms or some other reading material. My plan will be to try to have a quiet day as it will be very hard.

• Members
NeverAndAlways

Some things we've done on angel dates (and their and our birthdays and mothers and fathers days and holidays):

- try to treat it as another day

- plant flowers in memory

- release balloons with special messages attached

- plan or allow a small ceremony (had one with real butterflies once!)

- buy them a present

- write a poem or letter to them

- buy ourself something

- invite family to get together and read letters and poems to them

- journal

- seek comfort in faith

- seek comfort in the most shamelessly mind-numbing activities we can think of

- comfort ourselves by getting away for a day

- cry all day

I don't think any of those are the wrong thing to do...I hope it's not presumptuous to suggest that whatever you decide is "right for your loss" on that year's anniversary is...well, right for you.

N&A

Archived