Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dealing with loss of mom and divorce

kentandkim

• Members
kentandkim

Hello- I lost my mother 7 weeks ago after a long fight with cancer. It was a very long 6 months just watching her slip away. 3 weeks ago my wife of 13 yrs said she wants a divorce, which was a complete shock to me. She says that over the past few years I've changed.

I am hoping that we can work it out. We are best friends and we both still love each other. My question is- how do I deal with losing the 2 women that I loved the most within 1 month of each other. And- is it possible that my wife is acting out of grief. I will add that she is messing around with someone 20 yrs younger than her. Sometimes I feel that after going thru 6 months of hell and watching my mom take her last breath- that my wife is still in shock.

• Members
Lostwithoutmum

K, I am sorry for your loss, and for what you are going through. Have you asked your wife why she wants divorce. Having a heart-to-heart may clarify things for you, wouldn't that be helpful at all in your opinion?

Watching a dear one slip is devastating, but this painful experience should have been more of a reason for her to stand by you. It's supposed to be through thick and thin.

I hope it works out between you and your wife, I imagine this is the last thing a grieving person needs to handle.

We are here for you if you ever need to vent.

• Members

Hi Kent. I´m really sorry for your loss. Honestly I don´t have much information I could give you about your wife´s attitude... I´m no doctor, but isn´t it possible that with your mother´s death she´s facing her own mortality and getting afraid of getting older? That might explain the "messing around with someone 20 yrs younger". I know it´s hard but try and give her some time and use that time to think about what you want. Hang in there and everytime you feel about to explode, you can always come here and let it all out

Archived